Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 19-12-2019 01:17 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Smoov
Student
Options

I have a Q80R with a Sonos Beam and I'm also having frustrating sound delay issues. As the Beam has no additional inputs, I'm stuck connecting all of my sources directly to my TV. I can play around with the HDMI Delay Level and Audio Delay settings to get the syncing to a reasonable level but it will only work for that one source. Anyone know if there is a way I can at least save those sound settings to individual HDMI inputs?

0 Likes
MrTest
Explorer
Options
Hey Smoov, bit of a ball ache.

If your external devices have optical out you could connect them all to separate splitter which then you connect to the Beam. This may also get around the sync issues as you aren't dealing with any audio signal through the TV which is where the problem lies.
0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@Smoov wrote:

I have a Q80R with a Sonos Beam and I'm also having frustrating sound delay issues. As the Beam has no additional inputs, I'm stuck connecting all of my sources directly to my TV. ...

A work-around for you can be to get a remote controlled Opto audio switch so you can connect S/PDIF (opto) audio directly from external boxes and also from the TV (for audio from TV-apps) to the Sonos Beam single HDMI/ARC input via the opto adapter they supplied. This should give you a good lip sync if you can set audio delay in each of your external boxes (to compensate the TV video delay, in my case around 45ms. You should then keep the delay setting in the Beam (and TV) =0ms, because (at least my Q90R) adds the correct amount of audio delay for internal apps.

(I don't know if there are automatic switches available but I have remote controlled switches, both opto and coax with 3 or 4 inputs.)

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi, A related question if I may.  I'm interested to know if you have experienced any problems with 2 external sources connected into the soundbar via HDMI.  Specifically, where the TV subsequently stops recognising the soundbar on the ARC channel?  From other threads this seems on be a common fault and one that I am experiencing with a Sky Q box connected to the TV One Connect unit and an Ultra HD Blu-ray player connected to the soundbar.  Same problem with both connected into the One Connect.

0 Likes
Larmkillen
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have been in contact with Samsung support (Swedish) today 2020-01-07 regarding my concerns about this problem since I ordered but have not received the TV QE65Q90R yet. Declared that I will send it back immediately if it has the same problem, and they have been very accommodating in this problem and will do everything possible to test the audio problems before I receive my TV  (earliest 2020-01-26) The agent at Samsung and the test department will respond as soon as they know more about the fault and possible solution.

0 Likes
Lupal
First Poster
Options

I'v got the cheap Q64R and use optical/pcm and got the same problem. Really frustrating, with my old Samsung everything worked fine.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Are you sure you are using PCM, also from the source? Because for me and what I heard from other, the large audio delay only affects when the external source sends Dolby Digital. Is the sound delayed compared to the picture?

I'm not familiar with the Q60R, but if it behaves like Q90R,  aLso check that all delay settings in both the source, the TV and audio receiver/soundbar  are set to zero. The Q90R then adds a suitible delay to give OK lipsync.

Is the lipsync from internal apps (including TV receiver) OK?

0 Likes
davem2
Student
Options

I too am experiencing audio sync issues.  I just purchased both a 65" Q80R and a 75" Q90R.  I plugged an amazon fire tv stick 4k into both of them.  In both cases I'm experiencing audio delay that cannot be resolved using the Samsung TV audio settings.

I have an HW-Q80R soundbar hooked up to the Q90R television.  By connecting the amazon fire tv stick 4k to an HDMI port on the soundbar (which is connected to the TV over HDMI-ARC) instead of the TV, I was able to get the audio in sync using a 190ms delay in the Samsung TV settings.

I do not have a soundbar connected to the Q80R and the only way I could resolve the sync issue on that TV was to set the fire tv stick to stereo mode in the audio settings instead of "best available" or "dolby digital".

I called Samsung support and the tech blamed the fire stick.  I asked if an engineer could investigate the issue and he said that they only look into issues that are reported by enough customers or that are raised by their own engineers.  I'd encourage people to call their support if you are experiencing similar issues.  I would love to hear a comment from Samsung on these sync issues.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi davem2

I don't know what country you live in but Im in the UK and I've reported both the lip sync problem and HDMI ARC problems to the CEO's office in December 2019.  I've had several communications with them and they acknowledged there was a lip sync problem that was currently being investigated but did not offer any timeframe for a resolution.  I intend to take the issue up again in early February if a solution has not been advised during a January.

I made contact with the CEO's office via the email link as it is obvious from reading various subject threads on the Samsung Community forum that the first line support is a waste of time and customers are just being 'fobbed off' as you have been.  I would encourage you to make contact with the CEO's office for your region.

0 Likes