Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 24-12-2017 02:56 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
tarbat
Voyager
Options

John Lewis have already admitted the mis-selling, but just won't do anything about it.  They've already said:

"When you purchased your television, it was advertised it would soon be updated with the SmartThings functionality and, that the USB dongle would be provided to enable this. As you are aware Samsung did not proceed with this and I can appreciate this was very disappointing. Whilst John Lewis only advertised this feature based on the information provided by Samsung, we do acknowledge this information was in our product description. We’ve been in contact with Samsung and the solution available is to provide the SmartThings Hub. We are aware it does not provide exactly the same functionality as the USB dongle would have, we do trust it is a reasonable alternative."

I've then replied rejecting the hub solution, explaining why.  All I then got back was "Our position on this matter remains the same, I am unable to offer a refund or exchange on your television."

So, I then asked them to inform me which alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service John Lewis will accept an outcome from if any, and confirm which legal jurisdiction John Lewis operate under – England or Scotland?

To which, JL replied:

"Thank you for your response. I am sorry that you are not happy with my proposed solution. I am aware the SmartThings Hub does not have the exact functionality, however the television can continue to be used as it has been since purchase. The SmartThings Hub is the alternative product available, if you wish to find out about compatible compliant devices then Samsung will be able to discuss this with you as they have more knowledge on these. You are welcome to contact them on this email address: support@smartthings.co.uk

John Lewis deal with complaints internally and do not accept an outcome from any ADR service. We do make reference to an alternative dispute resolution on our website, however as I am within the highest point of escalation for John Lewis this would be forwarded back to me to resolve.

We operate under both English and Scottish legal jurisdiction."

So, I can't see where else I can go with this now. My wife is not at all happy with me, I sold her on getting this TV because she would be able to control her lights and cooling fan from the TV, rather than asking me all the time 😞

I'm not willing to risk the £100+ and potential legal costs taking this to court, particularly given the complications of sueing a retailer base in England, when I'm in Scotland. I'll have to leave that to someone else who's willing to take the risk to pursue.  A lesson learnt - only ever buy from a retailer that is signed-up to an ADR service.

I'm even more annoyed with Samsung, who have obviously convinced John Lewis that I'm being unreasonable to reject the vry kind offer of a SmartThings hub. Samsung know that's not a solution.  I even suggested to Samsung that the Nvidia Shield with the Samsung SmartThings Link USB is a more appropriate solution, and I'm waiting to hear back about that.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CJH26 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Either they do not know what they are talking about or again trying to confuse things again. You need to close their argument down and make it clear this is not about the smart tv platform which is all about the apps. It is about the specifications they advertised relating to the tv being the center of the Internet of things and that can only happen without the dongle that they advertised which Samsung decided not to supply. They know this and I thought jl were now refunding. Maybe not. Keep plugging away at them,  and again strongly point out the dongle is not an app but a promised function,  which is misrepresentation. 

Paul

Hi Paul, I just want to chime in here, Your posts are appreciated but no John Lewis are far from resolving it for the majority of people.

Skipping over the part of @tarbat message from Samsung. That is clearly them trying confuse the situation and just concentrating on John Lewis.

For myself and many others if you have had any contact with head of customer relations they are refusing to help. They are telling us because it came from upper management they have the final say and wont communicate any further. In regards to upper management they are not budging, they insist they wont change their mind and wont take into account any other customers case numbers and also wont communicate unless it is to take them up on their offer. They are completely aware of what has gone on etc but unless they are forced to court its not going to change.

You are correct.  They are doing everything to wear you down and it is a tactic to make you doubt your resolve.  They can say anything until they go to court where they have to be honest. They are hanging their arguments on the smart tv platform and ignoring the smart things dongle, and that seems to be their tactic.  Its a shame how major retailers behave like this to their customers. It just shows to get the specs for any new item you buy in paper,  and always use your credit card. 

If someone does take this to court and hope someone does it costs £60 when done online. All the evidence is here and the ADR result can still be used as evidence. Again I think it will be settled out of court and I bet they try to gag you as well. For all those who bought with a credit card you have section 75.

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
If there is one thing I've learned from this, it's changed recently.

It was "don't buy anything else made by Samsung again". It's now become "don't buy anything else made by Samsung again, and only buy from a retailer who is a member of an ADR scheme and states that they comply with their decisions". Until a few months ago I thought John Lewis were up there with Richer Sounds in terms of customer care and fairness. I've returned things to JL myself in the past that had been used, I had no right to at all, but they were very good and took them back. You live and learn.

ps. "Don't buy anything (even batteries) from Curry's" is implied by default and goes without saying, of course.
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote: 
If someone does take this to court and hope someone does it costs £60 when done online. All the evidence is here and the ADR result can still be used as evidence. Again I think it will be settled out of court and I bet they try to gag you as well. For all those who bought with a credit card you have section 75.

It's £105 in my case, based on the original price.  But beware, if you lose the court case, the retailer can recover all their costs from you. CAB warned me of that yesterday.  That's what makes taking them to court too high a risk for me, and is presumably why retailers like John Lewis choose to ignore ADR.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

Advisor at CAB has warned me that taking it to court will cost over £100 and if I lose I might have to pay JL's costs 😞

If it comes to that, seriously, we should crowdfund you. Set up a page, and you've got £10 from me for a start.

I sent off my email to Richer Sounds using their webform last night. unfortunately limited to 3000 characters so I couldn't fit all the info in that I had crafted from @billinghamn and @Jep_uk 's fine letters. Nevertheless I've had an email reply already saying 

"The Newcastle store are already aware of the situation and will be in touch with you".

fingers crossed :smiling-face:

Sounds a good idea and I will put £10 in as well. How could we start it? 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Dunno sorry. I've donated to these things but never set one up 😕

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS sorry pressed wrong button as solution but not sorted. Could you please unsolve it thanks paul

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
Hi, I have started a new thread after talking to @paul1277 with regards the length of this thread and it's getting very difficult to find the necessary info people need. Therefore I have started this thread just for info people need to start their claims. Not for discussion but links, letters sent and received and reference numbers that could be used in court.
Hope it helps.
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-Refund-usefull-info/m-p/579806#M14123
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Maybe all those who have hit a brick wall with the retailer should at least pursue their complaint with Samsung as well. That's what I'm doing whilst I wait for my 30 days to tick down with the EU ODR. Here's my latest response to their UK President:

Sorry Xxxx, I’m confused. That statement refers to “content providers”. Surely you’re not suggesting that Samsung is just a content provider? I thought Samsung were the manufacturer of the TV, the SmartThings Extend USB adaptor, and the SmartThings functionality on the TV. Nowhere in any of the advertising can I find reference to the SmartThings Extend USB adaptor or the SmartThings functionality being described as just an App.

Are you suggesting that Samsung could choose to stop supporting, for example, the TV’s remote control? Or the TV’s tuner? Because that functionality is provided by Samsung as a “content provider” rather than a manufacturer?

As I’ve said, the SmartThings hub is of no use to a disabled person like my wife. I’m very disappointed that Samsung can’t understand that.

And one other thing. I got my grandson to research this, and he has discovered that the Nvidia Shield with the Samsung SmartThings Link USB dongle will do exactly what was originally promised on my KS8000 TV. It will allow control of SmartThing devices directly from the TV using a remote control. Will you provide that solution instead of the hub?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
The shield and usb could be used as a get out of jail free.
0 Likes