Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 01-08-2018 02:21 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I emailed them last night asking for an address to send a letter of intent. They provided the address but told me it needs to come from “a legally trained representative”.  I see that as intimidation. 

There are a few issues here. Firstly ask where in the regs it says about primary use if the retailers misrepresent the item. 

What is even more serious in many ways is their advice that it needs to come from a legally rep is so wrong its almost criminal. They are giving you (even though you never asked for any) legal advice that they must know is incorrect. Thus I would suggest it is illegal and is evidence of intimidation which  when presented to the court this outright lying  would not help their case and would show how they are trying to use illegal tactics to stop people from going to court. I also suggest asking them who gave that advice and in what capacity and where the legally trained.  Also ask why they are using intimidation to try put you off going to court. You can also say you are going to report them to the law society which again is free and that is why you need to know where that legal advice came from.    As we all know, anyone  can start a small claims action against anyone else,  and it can be done online easily. 

All I can say it is the tactics of a worried company,  outrageous. 

Typical of Curry's. It's how they behave when they are happy, sad, worried, etc. All of the time.

How long did they keep you waiting for that answer... and then when the answer came, it comes with lies.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your email.

While it is of course your prerogative to not accept the offer,  I am sorry to learn of this.

I have included the address for our legal team below for you however please note any correspondence to them will need to be from a legally trained representative.

Legal Services
DSG Retail Ltd  

Should you decide to accept the offer, this will remain open for the next 30 days.

Yours sincerely,

CEO Support Team
Team Knowhow™ Customer Contact Centre

Tel: 0344 561 6372

Thanks but it would be helpful if you let me know the name of the Know How team member who gave you that rubbish.

Paul

Complexcomplex
Journeyman
Options

Anyone get anywhere with RGB?

0 Likes
Tannoy20
Pioneer
Options

Did you have any evidence of them ever advertising the smartthings extend with your TV model? To be fair even using the wayback machine to look at how the page was back in sept 2016, RGB Direct dont seem to mention it that feature?

https://web.archive.org/web/20160902215002/http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Television/LED-TV/SAM...

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@En1gma111 wrote:

Here is my full response from Currys...

Dear Mr James,

Thank you for your email dated 31st July 2018 addressed for the attention of our Chief Executive Officer, Alex Baldock.  As part of the CEO Support Team, your correspondence has been passed to me to investigate and respond.  Further to our telephone conversation, I am putting my response in writing, as requested.

I am sorry that you are unhappy that Samsung have decided not to proceed with introducing the SmartThings dongle that they previously advertised.  I can confirm that we are aware of the current issue and have consulted out Legal team regarding this.

They have confirmed that as the television is fulfilling it's primary function, we are not obliged to offer you a full refund, as you have requested.  However, I can offer you two resolutions, as I advised during our conversation.

If you wish to keep the television, we can offer you a £125.00 Payment Voucher, which can be redeemed in store for any goods or services within a 2-year period.  Alternatively, I can offer a contribution of £700.00 towards a replacement unit, based on the original purchase price and the age of the unit, in relation to its anticipated life span. This would also be in the form of a Payment Voucher and the old unit would need to be returned before the payment is issued.  Either option is offered as full and final settlement of this matter.  

Once you have had a chance to consider my offer, please contact me either by email or by calling 0344 561 6372.  Our lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 8pm, Saturday 9am - 6pm and Sunday 10am - 5pm.

You asked for the address to send any legal documents to.  For court papers, please use DSG Retail Ltd. as the company name.  These should be sent to:

Legal Services 
W3 6RS 

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment that Samsung's decision regarding the cancellation of the SmartThings programme has caused.  I look forward to hearing from you soon and trust that you will feel able to accept one of options offered.

Easy reply to them on that:  "Sorry, who advertised this on your website and in your store??"

(also, minor point to note:  it's a 'Letter Before Action' not a 'Letter of Intent', unless you plan on buying something from them in the near future..!)

garbageJL
Journeyman
Options

Here's the latest email I received from JL when explaining to them that the SmartThings addon was their responsibility:

"Thanks for your reply to my previous email and please excuse my delay in getting back to you. 

The solution I’ve outlined in my previous email is the only one both Samsung and John Lewis are prepared to offer. I’m sorry this isn’t the response you’d like however at this stage we’ve nothing further to add. 

Should you wish to pursue this matter further, I’d advise you to seek third party advice."

Guess I'm out of luck 😞

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@garbageJL wrote:

Here's the latest email I received from JL when explaining to them that the SmartThings addon was their responsibility:

"Thanks for your reply to my previous email and please excuse my delay in getting back to you. 

The solution I’ve outlined in my previous email is the only one both Samsung and John Lewis are prepared to offer. I’m sorry this isn’t the response you’d like however at this stage we’ve nothing further to add. 

Should you wish to pursue this matter further, I’d advise you to seek third party advice."

Guess I'm out of luck 😞

Have you not seen some other results from John Lewis yesterday in which they have offered full refunds. Have a look back, only a page or 2 and then ask John Lewis why they are discriminating against you.

Paul

yannis_i
Pioneer
Options

I contacted via phone the Case Manager today for my John Lewis case after the encouraging posts that they started refunding people.

They notified me that their position is still the same as described in the letter of Deadlock, and they are still not aware of other people being refunded. They are unwilling to comment on other cases, telling me that although they are aware of the dispute, the situtation is resolved on a case by case basis, even though I then argued that the same case should theoretically have the same results. I have asked their post address to send a Letter Before Action (as so far I sent it by email) but in the meantime I would like to ask the following:

For people that got a full refund from John Lewis, has anyone done it for the KS7000 model?

For people that got a call yesterday for a refund, was it only after  the sent a Letter Before Action or it could be inbetween their normal Complaints/Customer service correspondence?

Is anyone willing to personally contact me with any written evidence that their case was succesfully refunded by John Lewis, in a more formal way than a post of their result in this thread or the results thread? Or point me to a post in case I have not seen it? I understand that the forum has a strong community spirit and thank you all for supporting and helping me and each other, however a success result behind a forum nickname (which could be as much true as not true) might be easily deconstructed legally unfortunately. Special kudos to the people that uploaded the ARD and Section 75 results that are solid evidence of a refund and helped the rest in a similar case. 

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:
Have you not seen some other results from John Lewis yesterday in which they have offered full refunds. Have a look back, only a page or 2 and then ask John Lewis why they are discriminating against you.

I think it was only two people yesterday, and knowing John Lewis they would probably say that these were "goodwill gestures", and will refuse to discuss other customers. I don't think these two cases set any sort of precedent, and court action is probably the only solution.

I'm now 4 weeks away from the "Last date for response" at the Sheriffs Court.

0 Likes
mrputt
Explorer
Options

After E-mailing Curry’s again last night asking how they got the figure of 50% of the television as a suitable refund and asking where I can escalate this matter higher I received this response today.

Thank you for your reply. As Diane is out of the office today, I have been asked to respond to you in her absence. 

After reviewing the details of the complaint, I feel that your compromise as outlined in an earlier e-mail was not unfair and from speaking with my Manager we have agreed to offer you the £1000.00 in a credit voucher which can be spent in any Currys PC World branch.

We do ask that you do allow 7-10 working days to reach your address. I do hope this resolution brings a satisfactory close to your complaint.

If you do require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

I’m a little confused as this doesn’t make much sense. In a previous mail I did say I would accept £1000 so I am hoping they have agreed to this figure. There is no mention of returning the television in this mail though....