Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Highlighted
Explorer

Currys have gone quiet. My last email to them was on the 9th July - I had no repsonse, I then escalted the case on Resolver to the 'Customer Services Manager' on the 17th July and have had no response. What an amazing customer experience...

Highlighted
Explorer

which email address were you talking to?  if you look back a few pages i posted the one i had sucess with.

Highlighted
Explorer

@darrant1234 wrote:

which email address were you talking to?  if you look back a few pages i posted the one i had sucess with.

Thanks for your reply. I actually don't know, it is whatever email addresses Resolver use.

I'll check back and use the email address you have suggested and provide them a copy with all correspondance. 

Cheers.

Highlighted
Hotshot
I know may be slightly off topic but this month What Hi Fi has an article about the BBC Iplayer trial. Its interesting in that it seems to say there is no real reason why it should not work on any 4K tv. It seems it was a decision by Samsung not to enable it.

Manufacturer support

Another trending topic has been hardware support for UHD streams - and, notably, the lack of it on Samsung's 2016 4K HLG-compatible TVs.

Samsung defended the situation with the following official response: “all of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD iPlayer, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content. Samsung has no plans to support BBC UHD iPlayer on its 2016 UHD TV Range.”

While the BBC couldn’t comment specifically on the Samsung situation, Layton did say this: “iPlayer needed very little modification to do UHD. All iPlayer does is play back the video object it’s given to play. The television is responsible for the decoding, for receiving the segments, and for picking the right ones according to the bitrate for the network. In terms of televisions, we don’t have anything specific in iPlayer, it simply relies on HbbTV and DVB underlying standards… those standards include DVB-DASH, it’s nothing BBC-specific.

“If a TV supports those, it works. There aren’t specific changes for UHD playback in iPlayer. Because it’s HLG and backwards-compatible, our criteria was: if a TV accepts a BT2020 signal and plays it back without interruption without buffering, we’d enable that device. What we don’t want is HLG on a 709 display because we don’t want it to look wrong.

“It’s up to manufacturers to choose how they support it, but we wanted our content on as wide a range of devices as possible, we didn’t want to limit it.”

Highlighted
Voyager

@paul1111   Pretty much what I thought right from the start. Samsung more unwilling than unable to activate the 4k iplayer.

Highlighted
Helping Hand

It is nothing new and it is nothing we did not already know before. But it's nice to have it from a source OTHER than the journalist John Archer

• The 2016 KS TVs do not support DVB-DASH.
  • This is because the Tizen 2.4 OS used on those TVs have an old version of a security library baked in at a low level.
  • This means that anything that needs DVB-DASH (in this one example, iPlayer with UHD streams) was never going to work, and this situation was locked in before the first unit ever rolled off the production line. The "decision" if there ever was one, was taken at THAT time.
  • Upgrading the OS of an embedded device isn't a simple "firmware update". It's not something they would ever deign to try: it would be cheaper for them to give away brand new 2017 TVs to everyone effected than re-develop Tizen 2.x for 2-year-old hardware.
  • We've known all of the above since early in the year.

I repeat, it's good to have the spotlight on it more, but it's NOT NEWS! There is zero new information in the article. It just re-states that Samsung dropped the ball, badly, in late 2015 when they were developing the 2016 models and they froze an old library into Tizen 2.4 for all the 2016 models. 

It was not a strategic decision to screw over UK owners, nor a decision taken in 2016 or 2017. Hanlon's razor applies.

On the bright side, I now have a beautiful LG 2018 OLED which I wouldn't have had otherwise. So although I'm annoyed with Samsung I am happy with the outcome.

Highlighted
Voyager

Brief update on my dispute with John Lewis. They have appointed a firm of solicitors in Scotland to defend the case.

Highlighted
Black Belt 

@tarbat wrote:

Brief update on my dispute with John Lewis. They have appointed a firm of solicitors in Scotland to defend the case.

I thinks that's all part of the intimidation to make you think they will fight all the way.  Looks like they will take it to the court doors. See what happens when you go through those doors. 

Paul

Highlighted
Explorer

My latest response from Currys:

Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

We are currently investigating the matter and will be in further contact when a formal company wide decision has been made, in the mean time, can you send over the following details so we can locate your purchase; 

Full address given at purchase 
Full name given at purchase 
Receipt number 
Purchase branch 
Purchase date 

Other than the above, we do not require further information and appreciate your patience. 

Highlighted
Explorer

This is great news, thanks for sharing this.

My last interaction with Currys regarding my complaint was them admitting misrepresentation and offering a little over 50% of the purchase price in currys vouchers, which they confirmed was their last and final offer to me.

I expect there'll be a lot of people waiting for the result of this "formal company wide decision"

Top Liked Authors