Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 10-07-2018 09:31 AM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
nintendofan
Journeyman
Options

To anyone having issues with JL i have posted by below mails that got the ball rolling on my refund.

1st one

Hi

On xx xxx 20xx i purchased a new Samsung UExxKSxx00 under order xxxxxxxx  after researching on the TV's available at the time and a long time Panasonic consumer, i decided to go for a the Samsung.

Of the 4K TV's that were around at the time, the specs were not vastly different, however what intrigued me about the Samsung was the built-in smart things ability to control smart devices around the home, without having to control them via another smart device like an amazon alexa. As other TV's at the time did not offer this ability, this is what influenced my decision to purchase this TV.

The page advertising the USB smart things dongle that would enable this feature was advertised on your site, however the link has subsequently and understandably for a 2016 TV been removed, however the page for the TV is still there and is below URL 

Google your model along with keywords john lewis to find your page

Which states

Control Your Connected Home With SmartThings Extend
Developed alongside SmartThings, Samsung’s SUHD TV will have built-in software to let you do anything from switching on your lights to locking your doors**. It will connect to over 200 SmartThings compatible devices and put your home under complete wireless control – all from your TV. This way, you’ll be able to set the right scene in your living room without getting off the sofa. Please note that this feature is coming soon.

The delivery of the promised USB dongle (not an App) to enable this feature was then announced in early 2018 as no longer being delivered by Samsung, which goes back on an advertised feature of the TV, on which my purchased was based on, and is now a clear case of miss-selling.

As a further example of Samsung miss-selling this TV was brought up to the Retail ADR, in a case against Richer Sounds and it was found that Samsung was indeed in breech of the “Consumer Rights Act 2015”, of which a copy of the outcome can be found here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wchOMdwsbyzfMV4dbYBvh0wxDkkn9Z_z

"In conclusion Based on the evidence provided and after conducting our own online investigation, we agree that this is a clear case of misrepresentation."

Taking into account that the delivery of this feature is now never going to be reality, i feel that i have been misled into purchasing a TV that will never be able to do what was intended, and is in breech of miss-selling, as i would have probably been watching a Panasonic TV for the last year had it not been for being misguided by Samsung, however as the retailer, i am bound to take up my case with yourselves.

As a result of all the above, I would appreciate it if you can contact me on my phone, or mail me back by reply to this mail to discuss a refund or as a John Lewis fan,  i am willing to discuss an exchange as i understand that this is not your fault, and that both John Lewis and myself have been misled by Samsung.

Thanks

2nd mail after inital reply about it being a "free promotional item" that i should contact samsung for.

Hi xxxx

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. The issue here is that the missing feature was not a promotional item like a free DVD, but an advertised feature native of the product. It was announced to much fan fare that all 2016 KS range TV's would feature this, see below links and their press release announcement in RED

Samsung CEO himself announcing it on stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqkZw6NY3K8&feature=youtu.be&t=3m55s

https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/29/10682704/smartthings-hub-tvs-samsung-suhd

https://www.engadget.com/2015/12/29/samsung-smartthings-hub-smart-tvs-ces2016/?guccounter=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpRxjGeRsos

Among the 2016 Smart TVs, all Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. Samsung developed its own IoT hub technology with SmartThings for 2016 SUHD TVs.

SUHD TVs can connect with and control Samsung devices and SmartThings sensors, as well as more than 200 other SmartThings compatible devices. These include everything from connected lights and locks to thermostats and cameras, from a wide range of high quality third party manufacturers. For the full support of connectivity with SmartThings compatible devices, SmartThings Extend USB adaptor is required.

At CES 2016, Samsung will showcase the future of TV and demonstrate how Samsung’s Smart TVs are at the center of the expanding IoT ecosystem.

As this feature was announced as a function native to the TV and then subsequently dropped after over 18 months, this is now something that the TV will never be able to achieve despite it being advertised as being able to do so. The consumer rights act 2015 protects against this under "As described" 

• As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

As the TV no longer matches the advertised features, and still advertised on your website, this is in breech of this section of the sale of goods act, under the Consumer Rights Act

Looking at your own product description, thats still on the website, the feature is listed under the Product description, and not as a promotional add on product like a free DVD disk etc... had it been part of a "buy this TV and get a free DVD disk" type promotion, then id agree that id have to take this up with samsung, however as this was not a promotional product, but an advertised aspect of the TV, and as the seller my contract of sale is without yourselves and not samsung.

Thanks

Hope that might help some people...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@billinghamn wrote:

@billinghamn wrote:

I would also just like to say, that without the helpful contributions from members of this community, I wouldn't have been aware of my rights in respect to the SmartThings Extend, let alone try to uphold those rights, and end up with an upgraded TV.

So a big thank you to everyone!

So I have finally received my refund from JL.  It was a bit tortuous in the end.  I agreed to pay extra for an exchange up to the Samsung Q9F, but JL messed everything up.  Comms then went silent, and I finally bought one from Richer Sounds in LIverpool, who were extremely helpful and I managed to get the TV set up ahead of England's quarter final victory over Colombia.

I complained to JL about the lack of communication and of a refund, and a guy from JL Cheadle finally rang me last night to organise the full refund.  So success at last.  I did have concerns JL was going to change their view of this - them being happy to support an exchange, but not supportive of a refund.

Anyway, it's now all sorted.  To everyone still fighting, good luck, and keep going!

well done and glad you are sorted. I ask again could you let everyone know using Facebook and avforums on the ks owners thread. Also you help would always be helpful to other owners. 

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
That is a brill letter and thanks for letting us share it.
Paul
Nobel
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I'm looking for your opinion, I am the owner of a 55KS9000 and John Lewis have offered me a refund in store, the only tv I would be able to exchange to without paying more is an LG 55B7. I popped in to the store yesterday just to have a look and I have to admit I wasn't blown away by the LG, not by the demo material anyway.

So I'm now stuck with a decison to stick or exchange, does anyone have an opinion which can help me make a decision. The exchange will happen tomorrow 11/7. Thanks

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Nobel wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for your opinion, I am the owner of a 55KS9000 and John Lewis have offered me a refund in store, the only tv I would be able to exchange to without paying more is an LG 55B7. I popped in to the store yesterday just to have a look and I have to admit I wasn't blown away by the LG, not by the demo material anyway.

So I'm now stuck with a decison to stick or exchange, does anyone have an opinion which can help me make a decision. The exchange will happen tomorrow 11/7. Thanks

Well done and the reports here have been good regarding the b7. The c8 is more expensive but a bit brighter. The q8f 2018 also maybe ok. 

Paul

MC_Blade
Pioneer
Options

No brainer B7 is better,  if you have a Samsung soundbar it will link via ARC and work just fine with it too.

If you are a gamer read through setup on AV forums or you will see motion blur etc

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
KS Owners refund Results
paul1277
2 seconds ago

Might be useful for everyone using the KS refund thread and won a refund or exchange to please let others know on this new dedicated thread thanks.
Add tags
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund-Results/m-p/591783#M14509
0 Likes
sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@yannis_i wrote:

Hello all,

I am also interested in getting a refund for the KS7000 I purchased from John Lewis. 

I do not know if this had been answered before but the website mentioned here that advertised the Smart Things Dongle extender:

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

does not show anything. I tried some portals that allow retrieving cached versions of a site but I could not find anything. Is there a way to retrieve that exact website, to proceed with a claim?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Yannis

As posted numerous times on this thread, just type into google John Lewis ue55ks7000 or whatever model you have.  This gives you the original web page

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Nobel wrote:

Exchange. You'll get a 2017-spec TV which supports far more HDR formats including Dolby Vision which is excellent (content on Netflix if you subscribe to that) is more future-proof, and isn't made by Samsung. You need to vote with your wallet - that money gets transferred off Samsung's balance sheet and onto LG's, and those two companies are mortal enemies.

ItsJohnT
Journeyman
Options

Quick update on my progress with my retailer, my latest response from them was that my issue had been escalated to their MD and they were in contact with Samsung, I'm still waiting to hear a response from them but I suspect it will not be great news as Samsung will again no doubt rebuff the claims.

I suppose my question at the moment is of the retailers which are providing refunds or replacements (namely Richer Sounds and occassionally John Lewis), who is covering the cost, is it the retailers themselves or are they pushing this back to Samsung? I'd seen a couple of comments that TVs from Richer Sounds were being passed back to Samsung but I'm not sure how true this is?

0 Likes