Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Apprentice

Hey everyone,

 

Two weeks ago I sent John Lewis a second email, this time using the template billinghamn created. After weeks of delays, John Lewis have finally gotten back to me with this message:

"I am writing to you in relation to the Samsung UE55KS7000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 55”.

I understand that the SmartThings Extend feature has been taken of the smart TV. However this is not a John Lewis issue as you can see from the following note which is displayed for all smart TV's.

*Please note: A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App’s availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs.

Since this message is provided on all pages of the Smart TV's therefore we have not miss-sold the item to you. "

 

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Thanks in advance, guys!

Explorer

@garbageJL wrote:

Hey everyone,

 

Two weeks ago I sent John Lewis a second email, this time using the template billinghamn created. After weeks of delays, John Lewis have finally gotten back to me with this message:

"I am writing to you in relation to the Samsung UE55KS7000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 55”.

I understand that the SmartThings Extend feature has been taken of the smart TV. However this is not a John Lewis issue as you can see from the following note which is displayed for all smart TV's.

*Please note: A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App’s availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs.

Since this message is provided on all pages of the Smart TV's therefore we have not miss-sold the item to you. "

 

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Thanks in advance, guys!


Their statement is 100% accurate but is totally irrelevant. The SmartThings connectivity is not an app. It is ‘hardware’ that was promised with the sale.  The equivalent of not including the remote control. It is a fairly weak attempt on their behalf to fob you off, in my opinion. 

Black Belt 

@garbageJL wrote:

Hey everyone,

 

Two weeks ago I sent John Lewis a second email, this time using the template billinghamn created. After weeks of delays, John Lewis have finally gotten back to me with this message:

"I am writing to you in relation to the Samsung UE55KS7000 SUHD HDR 1,000 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot Smart TV, 55”.

I understand that the SmartThings Extend feature has been taken of the smart TV. However this is not a John Lewis issue as you can see from the following note which is displayed for all smart TV's.

*Please note: A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App’s availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs.

Since this message is provided on all pages of the Smart TV's therefore we have not miss-sold the item to you. "

 

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Thanks in advance, guys!


yep they are using that apps excuses again,  which they are right and they do say that they can not be held responsible for third party apps like YouTube or iplayer. But and big but the smart things dongle is not an app it is an advertised feature and the usb dongle was promised to all ks owners on their advertising which was not part of the terms and conditions.  You need to point out this as they keep using this excuse and next they will offer a free hub but again you cannot use your telly as the hub with that. They never said that the green dongle was subject to Samsung but they say you as an owner would be supplied with the dongle as part of the tv spec and not as a free gift as some have tried to use. It is piece of the tv specification as advertised,  and by not supplying it the spec is now not as advertised which is against the Consumer law. The problem is it looks like they could take this all the way to court as they know they only have to comply if it is found against them. We know they are in the wrong with the ADR result and it may be worth also asking if they would go down that route. 

 

Also anyone going down section 75 be careful how you phrase the usb dongle.  It is not a free dongle but part of the tv spec which was promised as soon as available. 

Paul

Black Belt 

Right

Explorer

I called my credit card company today to ask if they have received my transaction dispute paperwork which they have done, now I wait patiently until they call me. 

 

Meanwhile Currys are going round in circles telling me it’s an app and I keep telling them is hardware. I’ve just asked them which part of a USB SmartThings dongle is not hardware. I’m interested in what they might say to that.

 

Ive also told them I’ve spoken to citizens advice who have informed trading standards and I’ve filed the transaction dispute hoping they’ll take me seriously but I doubt they will.

Helping Hand

@Stormed wrote:

 

Meanwhile Currys are going round in circles telling me it’s an app and I keep telling them is hardware. I’ve just asked them which part of a USB SmartThings dongle is not hardware. I’m interested in what they might say to that.

 


If they make a claim about the SmartThings Extend, it is them who must prove it. If they are claiming that the SmartThings Extend dongle hardware is an app, then they can prove that with screenshots that say "SmartThings Extend" on it. etc.

 

They are abusing the fact that there is a something else with "SmartThings" in the name (the irrelevant and unsuitable "SmartThings V2 Hub").

 

Reject any sentence which doesn't say "SmartThings Extend dongle hardware" in it, with "no, I am not talking about that, that is different; I am talking about the SmartThings Extend dongle".

 

At the moment, it's like they have sold you a TV with a PLUG missing, and when you say "where's my PLUG", they are offering you one of these:

618lI1yxdEL._SL1102_

 

Explorer

Hello all,

 

I am also interested in getting a refund for the KS7000 I purchased from John Lewis. 

 

I do not know if this had been answered before but the website mentioned here that advertised the Smart Things Dongle extender:

 

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

does not show anything. I tried some portals that allow retrieving cached versions of a site but I could not find anything. Is there a way to retrieve that exact website, to proceed with a claim?

 

Thank you in advance.

 

Regards,

Yannis

Explorer

@billinghamn wrote:

I would also just like to say, that without the helpful contributions from members of this community, I wouldn't have been aware of my rights in respect to the SmartThings Extend, let alone try to uphold those rights, and end up with an upgraded TV.

 

So a big thank you to everyone!


So I have finally received my refund from JL.  It was a bit tortuous in the end.  I agreed to pay extra for an exchange up to the Samsung Q9F, but JL messed everything up.  Comms then went silent, and I finally bought one from Richer Sounds in LIverpool, who were extremely helpful and I managed to get the TV set up ahead of England's quarter final victory over Colombia.

 

I complained to JL about the lack of communication and of a refund, and a guy from JL Cheadle finally rang me last night to organise the full refund.  So success at last.  I did have concerns JL was going to change their view of this - them being happy to support an exchange, but not supportive of a refund.

 

Anyway, it's now all sorted.  To everyone still fighting, good luck, and keep going!

Apprentice

Love it, its only made more comedic in that if this was the issue, there would be no issue, however they are desparately trying to avoid "doing the right thing" and they are not even looking at it in a sensible way.  The retailers must have been in contact with samsung as they are all singing from the same hymn sheet when i comes to misdirection like this. Why they just dont just standup to samsung and say "look you f**ked up ok, just let us refund these guys and give us our money back"

 

whats interesting with samsung, and i know others have said about applying the "mobile" mentality to TV's in that its clear that have dropped support of 2016 models, no doubt the 2017 ones will follow (however as most of the HDR formats are now set in stone, the impact to dropping 2017 support will be limited,, unlike us 2016 purchasers) that they are thinking people will simply put up with it an " TV upgrade" every 2 years.... they are even helping us down this road

 

https://shop.samsung.com/uk/samsung-upgrade-tv/

 

Im one of the lucky ones who got a JL refund, and i have been put off samsung for life now after this, oh and anyone thinking about a replacement OLED B7 for their KS, i've been blown away by it. oh and i purchased it from RS...

Highlighted
Black Belt 

@yannis_i wrote:

Hello all,

 

I am also interested in getting a refund for the KS7000 I purchased from John Lewis. 

 

I do not know if this had been answered before but the website mentioned here that advertised the Smart Things Dongle extender:

 

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

does not show anything. I tried some portals that allow retrieving cached versions of a site but I could not find anything. Is there a way to retrieve that exact website, to proceed with a claim?

 

Thank you in advance.

 

Regards,

Yannis


Everything is on this thread and ks refund info thread. There is a web cache on here. If you remember seeing g the advert and it was a specification you wanted jl have not denied advertising it. Send a letter using the templates on here. 

Paul

Top Liked Authors