Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 23-06-2018 02:09 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Ludicrous.

It's as if they (John Lewis) think they are not liable for misrepresentation under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but in fact, they (John Lewis) are, and the resolution to which you are entitled is a full refund. The law is clear.

They know this, and are lying to you.

However, they have given you golden evidence. They have confirmed in writing, that they advertised the feature. It was on their website. The source of the material they choose to put up on their website is irrelevant. They are responsible for the contents of their own website. They have confirmed, in writing, that it will never be supplied. That's all you need to get your full refund. The only part of the letter which is relevant is the part leading up to "I appreciate how frustrating this will be and would like to again offer my further apologies for this.". The rest is the dishonest misleading side-stepping guff. 

that sentence should have said "therefore, this is a clear case of misrepresentation under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and you are entitled to a full refund".

tarbat
Voyager
Options

Excuses I've had so far from John Lewis - in sequence:

1. "If you wish to use your television to control Smart Things you may be interested in looking into NVIDEA Shield TV and the Smart Things Link to check if this will be a suitable option."

2. "The information you have quoted from the website does not advise that we will provide a Samsung SmartThings Extend USB adapter. It is stated that an "additional purchase [is] necessary to connect other appliances to the TV." However, it is also stated that this may be available for free within 2016."

3. "You may be aware that action under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is contingent upon any faults or breaches being brought to our attention within a reasonable amount of time. We delivered the TV to you in August 2016 and we would expect that any concerns regarding the product description or regarding the TV not being fit for purpose should have been brought to our attention before now, as it is now almost 2 years since we provided the TV."

4. Finally, an offer over the phone to provide a SmartThings hub, which I've also rejected.  I have some unique personal circumstances that make this completely infeasible.

Needless to say, I've corrected them on every point, and now my case has been escalated to the Managing Director (Paula Nickolds).  I'll keep plugging away, but thought it worth sharing the other excuses John Lewis will throw at you as you progress up the management chain.  Aside from the final escalation to Managing Director, I've been following JL's complaints procedure detailed at http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/shopping-with-us/complaint-process

tarbat
Voyager
Options

DELETED

0 Likes
sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@wayneunique wrote:

Here is the reply I received this morning from John Lewis:

Thank you for allowing me the time to look into your concerns fully.

Having now spoken with the relevant team within the Partnership, I can confirm the information we advise on our website is given to us directly from our suppliers. In regards to the purchase of your television, Samsung advised that a USB upgrade would be available in the future but this was never released. 

I appreciate how frustrating this will be and would like to again offer my further apologies for this.

Due to the inconvenience this would cause to customers, Samsung have agreed to give a SmartThings hub worth £99.00 in place of the original upgrade. In order to arrange this, please contact Samsung on the address below:

support@smarthings.co.uk

I hope you find this helpful and are able to resolve the issue.

Erm, they are trying to fob me off.

As I previously posted, you need to talk to JL rather than use e-mail.  If you ring the customer services number and ask to speak to someone they should put you through to the buying office in Glasgow.  Explain that the hub does not provide the same functionality as the dongle as advertised (and web page still available) on their web site.  I would suggest asking for credit rather than cash back, personally I think that it looks like you are being fair to JL.  Also, their TVs are usually around the same price as RS anyway.

Good luck, mine arrives Wednesday in time for the England match 🇬🇧

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

I've found that emailing John Lewis is fine, they phone you back promptly, usually within a day, and have a good escalation process. I haven't won yet, but I'm still confident.  I'm probably unique in that I really did want the SmartThings functionality on my TV so my disabled wife can switch lights, etc. on and off.

Also, not much point quoting the Richer Sounds Retail ADR success with them, as if you search for John Lewis on the Retail ADR site you'll find it says "The retailer that you have entered is in our database but on previous claims has refused to co-operate with us. Therefore, we are unable to take your claim forward at this stage."

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

@rozel wrote:

Guys

If I start to persue a claim against Currys, will it make any difference that I purchased via their 6 months Buy Now Pay Later Offer?

There's been a bit of activity since I asked this  maybe it's been overlooked?   Can someone please advise me,  I'd  be ever so grateful.

If done through a finance company then yes you get further protection under the credit consumer act,  which if you canshiw a breach of contract which misrepresentation is then the finance company will refund all monies paid within the finance period. You can always ask them as they are governed by the credit consumer act. 

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@wayneunique wrote:

Here is the reply I received this morning from John Lewis:

Thank you for allowing me the time to look into your concerns fully.

Having now spoken with the relevant team within the Partnership, I can confirm the information we advise on our website is given to us directly from our suppliers. In regards to the purchase of your television, Samsung advised that a USB upgrade would be available in the future but this was never released. 

I appreciate how frustrating this will be and would like to again offer my further apologies for this.

Due to the inconvenience this would cause to customers, Samsung have agreed to give a SmartThings hub worth £99.00 in place of the original upgrade. In order to arrange this, please contact Samsung on the address below:

support@smarthings.co.uk

I hope you find this helpful and are able to resolve the issue.

Erm, they are trying to fob me off.

Yes they are and inform them that they advertised the dongle so they have misrepresented the tv and they are liable as they are the retailer not Samsung. Ask do they know the difference between the dongle and hub. Also ask do they accept the misrepresented the tv. That should be interesting and also point out that richer sounds have lost a ADR over this and are giving refunds to all their KS customers. 

Paul

Ramos049
Pioneer
Options

@Boofg100 wrote:

Thanks for the info. So looks like they are not going to give me full refund and stated thats their final offer. I have no alternative now but to contact ADR now. Can you give me some advise on how I go about contacting them and what I need to state to them?

Looking on thier website it doesn't look like they recommend an ADR body. You need to contact them and say you are not happy with their final offer and want to take it to ADR. Ask them what ADR they are happy to use. If you purchased it online you can use the Online Dispute Resolution (https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home2.show&lng=EN). They have a number of ADR bodies that you can use, with Retail ADR being one of them. They also have a break down of the whole process. Even if they do agree they are not obliged to go with their recommendation but they probably will as they will lose if it goes to the small claims court.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

I've found that emailing John Lewis is fine, they phone you back promptly, usually within a day, and have a good escalation process. I haven't won yet, but I'm still confident.  I'm probably unique in that I really did want the SmartThings functionality on my TV so my disabled wife can switch lights, etc. on and off.

Also, not much point quoting the Richer Sounds Retail ADR success with them, as if you search for John Lewis on the Retail ADR site you'll find it says "The retailer that you have entered is in our database but on previous claims has refused to co-operate with us. Therefore, we are unable to take your claim forward at this stage."

I think quoting the richer sounds ADR to jl is useful as it informs them that you know you have a very strong case for misrepresentation because a qualified body has found richer sounds guilty if misrepresentation for advertising the dongle even though it is Samsung who were the one's at fault. It reinforces that the retailer is responsible for misrepresentation. That means you deal with your retailer not the manufacturer. 

Paul

Tannoy20
Pioneer
Options

I've had final confirmation in my case that John Lewis will *not* be offering anything more than the hub. They have said this is their final decision and I am welcome to take it to court or the ADR (but they said they are not bound by the ADR so would likely ignore it)

0 Likes