Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 22-06-2018 11:38 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
Mylo75
Pioneer
Options
So I called into the currys store I bought my TV from. When I mentioned I had been mis sold a TV I got a look as if to say "so, what does that mean, what do you expect me to do about it?".

After 10 minutes with the manager showing them the relevant information (thanks to this thread) they kinda agreed the TV was mis sold, but had no idea what they could do about it!

The manager was to contact head office for advice and get back to me next week. To be fair the store manager seemed decent enough, but my next conversation with them will be interesting.
Ramos049
Pioneer
Options

@Boofg100 wrote:

Hi guys needs some advise, been following developments for some time. I purchased KS8000 in Aug 2016 from Currys. I have asked for a refund used the template from the first page.  So they came back with they can only offer me a partial refund of around £700 (orginal price £1300). This is what they said : We are able to offer you a partial refund of the TV to its current value. This is calculated based on the date of purchase and the price originally paid giving us a figure, after 21 months. As the problem was caused by the manufacturer after sale was completed, due to early take up of a planned manufacturer action which was not completed as was originally proposed, and completely beyond our control.

So i replied :

I understand that Samsung have changed their stance but you guys had this advertised on your site. I had to seek out that this is not available and you Currys have not been pro active in contacting their customers regarding the issue. The purchase was made from Currys, so it is Currys duty and please refer to consumer rights act 2015 and within the 6 years of purchase, I have a right to obtain a refund. As mentioned Richer sounds have issued a refund to customers regarding this case

Their final reply was : 

Due to the change of stance by the Manufacturer we are able to offer the partial refund as advised which is fully in line with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, we have to take into account you have had use of the TV for 21 months. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 enables us to issue you a partial refund for goods which has been used for up to 6 years. As such we do take into account the amount of use had (age wise) with the TV. The amount offered was the highest amount we could do so. This was offered due to the above Act and is fully in compliance with its conditions.

This is exactly the same argument that Richer Sounds were using against me in order to try and get me to accept a reduced refund. The case I raised with Retail ADR was not if they had missold the TV but if I was right to demand a full refund or if Richer Sounds were right to offer a partial refund. My TV was 18 months old and I still got a full refund. The date of purchase is on the Retail ADR document. Point this out to them and also say the case was not about misselling but about what refund the customer was entitled to.

Boofg100
Explorer
Options

So after me telling them that i have been missold again and that Curry are liable, and showed them the retail ADR document from richer sounds they came back with this:

Yes, there is a 6 year limit to the time when you can report a problem. The refund offered though will take into account the length of time you have used the machine. This is stated in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the choice of repair or partial refund is ours. As a repair is not possible you have correctly been offered the right resolution. 

It got passed to upper management who have conferred with our legal team.

They are playing hard ball with me.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Boofg100 wrote:

So after me telling them that i have been missold again and that Curry are liable, and showed them the retail ADR document from richer sounds they came back with this:

Yes, there is a 6 year limit to the time when you can report a problem. The refund offered though will take into account the length of time you have used the machine. This is stated in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the choice of repair or partial refund is ours. As a repair is not possible you have correctly been offered the right resolution. 

Again they are trying to miss lead. Where they acknowledge a "repair" is not possible, you have not asked for a repair. You have asked for a replacement for misrepresentation and you must make it absolutely clear it is not a fault with the set but misrepresentation where there is a 6 year limit. 

It may be worth looking up the regs on Google have a read and send them the relevant bit. I also know that some have quoted them and the letters are on this thread. You can really see how they are trying to squirm out of this and you just need to shut each of their doors until they have now where to go. Ask them out right do they recognize this as misrepresentation and that leaves them no way out,  because what ever answer they give will dig a deeper hole. 

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Boofg100 wrote:

That's not playing hard ball, that's just LYING to you.

"The choice of repair or partial refund is ours." - demand that they quote, Chapter, section and verse, which part of the act says this. It's NOT TRUE.

6 year time limit for reporting a problem

* if the problem is misrepresentation and you haven't had "full use" of the product: resolution is full refund. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200. Slam dunk

* OR, completely different part of the Act - if the problem is a fault: resolution is allowed to take into account the age of the TV, how much use you've had, etc.

They aren't being cheeky, they just are being dishonest.

regarding the Hub issue, pictures again for people who may not have seen them:

This was Samsung's promiseThis was Samsung's promiseThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting thisThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting this

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Boofg100 wrote:

That's not playing hard ball, that's just LYING to you.

"The choice of repair or partial refund is ours." - demand that they quote, Chapter, section and verse, which part of the act says this. It's NOT TRUE.

6 year time limit for reporting a problem

* if the problem is misrepresentation and you haven't had "full use" of the product: resolution is full refund. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200. Slam dunk

* OR, completely different part of the Act - if the problem is a fault: resolution is allowed to take into account the age of the TV, how much use you've had, etc.

They aren't being cheeky, they just are being dishonest.

regarding the Hub issue, pictures again for people who may not have seen them:

This was Samsung's promiseThis was Samsung's promiseThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting thisThis was NOT the promise - don't be fooled into accepting this

He is dead right. They keep trying to say it is a faulty TV and it is not. It is the misrepresentation. If you look back you will see they have actually never denied misrepresentation, but they have never admitted to it. They try to confuse with the faulty goods argument. You need to make it absolutely clear it is not faulty goods but misrepresentation and a smart hub will not allow the TV to be any part of the IOT as promised when you bought the TV.  They are fighting this because they do not want a Richer Sounds, but Richer Sounds are now paying out, so that must say you have a very strong case. Once you can get them to admit misrepresentation you have won, so keep chipping away and close each of the lame arguments. It is when they stop talking that the next step is credit card section 75, ADR, and the threat of civil court. All the templates for all of this are on the citizen's Advice site and on this thread. People have had results and now have TV's that work as promised so just keep chipping away at them.

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

And let this be a lesson to everyone reading, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CURRY'S, EVER, for the rest of your lives. Otherwise you are supporting a bunch of crooks and you are guilty by association!

Look at the lies they are telling - "it got passed to upper management who conferred with the legal team". So many lies in that one phrase.

1. No way did you refer it up, you just wrote the email back trying to fob the customer off.

2. Upper management did the conferring, and relayed the message back did they? So the legal team are so important, more than "upper management", that they can't supply the answer back themselves?

3. Where is their answer? Chapter, line and verse, where the Currys interpretation of a very clear law which says "full refund", is different to every other retailer in the country. Give me the exact sentences that the alleged lawyer - who I do not believe for a second was actually ever asked - give your management.

4. etc.

Curry's just makes my blood boil - and I hope you can all see, with good reason. I don't even buy batteries from them.

At a time when GOOD retailers are going to the wall (and we've all had over 10 years of this now), it's a crime that BAD retailers like Curry's inexplicably do not go under.

Boofg100
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the info. So looks like they are not going to give me full refund and stated thats their final offer. I have no alternative now but to contact ADR now. Can you give me some advise on how I go about contacting them and what I need to state to them?

rozel
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Guys

If I start to persue a claim against Currys, will it make any difference that I purchased via their 6 months Buy Now Pay Later Offer?

There's been a bit of activity since I asked this  maybe it's been overlooked?   Can someone please advise me,  I'd  be ever so grateful.

0 Likes
wayneunique
Explorer
Options

Here is the reply I received this morning from John Lewis:

Thank you for allowing me the time to look into your concerns fully.

Having now spoken with the relevant team within the Partnership, I can confirm the information we advise on our website is given to us directly from our suppliers. In regards to the purchase of your television, Samsung advised that a USB upgrade would be available in the future but this was never released. 

I appreciate how frustrating this will be and would like to again offer my further apologies for this.

Due to the inconvenience this would cause to customers, Samsung have agreed to give a SmartThings hub worth £99.00 in place of the original upgrade. In order to arrange this, please contact Samsung on the address below:

support@smarthings.co.uk

I hope you find this helpful and are able to resolve the issue.

Erm, they are trying to fob me off.