Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 07-04-2018 11:36 AM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@CJH26wrote:

So I finally heard back from my credit card in regards to my Section 75 claim.

As the smart USB extend was described as "free" it carries no value and as such the claim cannot proceed.

I told them that my claim is for misrepresentation as the device heavily influenced my decision to purchase the television and without it it wont provide the functions that it was advertised as but they are sticking to it and wont accept the claim.

This is their final response so I am now getting a letter of deadlock to send to the financial ombudsman.

I still cant get over how John Lewis have treated their customers, It shows our worth to them!

The dongle was advertised as part of the TV as enabling a major function of the TV as the hub of your smart Internet of things.  I think they have seen in the advert where it says it will be supplied free in the future,  but is not advertised as a free add-on  but as a part of the TV function. The dongle was not available at time of purchase but the advert made it clear it would be supplied free of charge when available (there is no mention of it just being a freeby,  just like the smart remote). As we know the dongle will not be available so losing a advertised function of the TV.  This is misrepresentation. 

CJH26
Navigator
Options

@paul1111The dongle was advertised as part of the TV as enabling a major function of the TV as the hub of your smart Internet of things.  I think they have seen in the advert where it says it will be supplied free in the future,  but is not advertised as a free add-on  but as a part of the TV function. The dongle was not available at time of purchase but the advert made it clear it would be supplied free of charge when available (there is no mention of it just being a freeby,  just like the smart remote). As we know the dongle will not be available so losing a advertised function of the TV.  This is misrepresentation. 

Trust me I made this very clear to them and my feelings were well known, They are sticking with the fact that section 75 wont cover anything described as free.

Thats why I am sending it to the financial ombudsman for an independant review.

matt14
Journeyman
Options

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and would like to share my experience of requesting a refund from currys for my 55KS7000 and ask for some advice.

I purchased the TV July 2016 and have requested a refund from Currys on the basis that the advertised SmartThing USB dongle has never been supplied. In total I've received 3 mails where each time they've stated that I need to raise this with Samsung and not themselves. I've been very clear that it's Currys I purchased the TV from and Currys who advertised the free dongle to enable features on the TV. Therefore it's Currys who are responsible under the Consumer Right Act 2015.

This is an extract from their latest response:

"We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.

As this is software supplied by the manufacturer that was never available on this device this would not be covered by the Consumer Rights Act.  The retailer is not responsible for software the device has or has not be sett up with by the manufacturer.  As you have been advised previously, if you wish to take this matter further this will need to be done through Samsung directly.

You have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. "

What would people suggest next? Send it to CEO?

I find it unbelievable that they take no responsibility for their own advertising and are now trying to label a physical dongle as software! (sorry rant over :smileyhappy:)

Any advice for next steps greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@matt14wrote:

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and would like to share my experience of requesting a refund from currys for my 55KS7000 and ask for some advice.

I purchased the TV July 2016 and have requested a refund from Currys on the basis that the advertised SmartThing USB dongle has never been supplied. In total I've received 3 mails where each time they've stated that I need to raise this with Samsung and not themselves. I've been very clear that it's Currys I purchased the TV from and Currys who advertised the free dongle to enable features on the TV. Therefore it's Currys who are responsible under the Consumer Right Act 2015.

This is an extract from their latest response:

"We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.

As this is software supplied by the manufacturer that was never available on this device this would not be covered by the Consumer Rights Act.  The retailer is not responsible for software the device has or has not be sett up with by the manufacturer.  As you have been advised previously, if you wish to take this matter further this will need to be done through Samsung directly.

You have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. "

What would people suggest next? Send it to CEO?

I find it unbelievable that they take no responsibility for their own advertising and are now trying to label a physical dongle as software! (sorry rant over :smileyhappy:)

Any advice for next steps greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The retailer is responsible for any thing it advertises on its website. It is up to the retailer to make sure what it advertises is correct and if not then consumer laws are there to protect customers.  Citizen's advice have already said there is a case. They are playing hard ball and hoping you will give up.  Until it goes to court it does look like they are playing the long game. 

0 Likes
rosscouk
Navigator
Options

Bit of an update - I am still waiting on my section 75 paperwork to arrive from my credit card company, they are clearly in no rush.

I also sent a terse email to JL, as follows;

"Dear Richard (Richard ***** Director Relations Case Manager),

This is ridiculous, I really am surprised at the John Lewis stance on this.

John Lewis clearly advertised the television on its website with erroneous information and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make a purchase. Given the facts, John Lewis appear to be in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I urge you to re-consider your position.

I am waiting on my credit company to pursue a section 75. After that, I will consider pursuing through the small claims court".

I had the following reply from JL on the 5th April

"Many thanks for your reply. 

I respect your decisions to pursue this matter with your credit card company. However, to clarify, our position on this matter remains the unchanged. I will update your case to reflect your comments. 

Thank you again for your time to date. If you have any other questions just let me know. 

Kind regards, 

Stephen *****
Director Relations Case Manager"

So, Section 75 next and then tbc, but possibly small claims court??
paulyoung666
Explorer
Options

They must be really sure if their position on all this ....

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@paulyoung666wrote:

They must be really sure if their position on all this ....

I don't think they are sure I think they are trying to make things difficult and hope you will think they are correct and so stop your claim. Its a case of causing doubt and they have never actually denied miss selling.  What gives says we have a case is Richer Sounds have replaced sets without question over this issue,  and would not have done if they did not have to. Curries have also paid compensation and Samsung have said on this forum that they would not be supplying the dongle as advertised. Citizen's advice have told me and others that they believe we have a case. 

They are hoping people will give. 

sewarner
Pioneer
Options

HI, is someone able to send me a PDF or screenshot of the John Lewis site as it's now gone.  I bought mine KS8000 in Jan 2017 so will I be able to claim on dongle issue, I'm sure that it was advertised when I bought the TV.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sewarnerwrote:

HI, is someone able to send me a PDF or screenshot of the John Lewis site as it's now gone.  I bought mine KS8000 in Jan 2017 so will I be able to claim on dongle issue, I'm sure that it was advertised when I bought the TV.

Use the which tool on this thread and say it was advertised when you bought the TV,  as it was. 

0 Likes
73henny1
Explorer
Options

Do you mind saying what credit card you have?

Also, was there any further info from the AV press?

0 Likes