Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Hotshot

wrote:

Here is my latest reply to JL - I have used others posts and cobbled something together...

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the hub and centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. It only allows the hub to connect to the TV and gives you the option to control the TV with the SmartThings mobile app. It cannot change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers however the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely


Just to clarify you can not connect the TV to anything without the smart connect. The smart things hub will not connect to the TV. 

Navigator

Thanks Paul1111 - that was really helpful - please see new version

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. I would not be able to change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers how the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely

Hotshot

wrote:

Thanks Paul1111 - that was really helpful - please see new version

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. I would not be able to change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers how the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely


Rather than the smart things extender dongle it's called the smart connect USB dongle.  Don't let them use the smart things as an excuss,  as Samsung called it the smart connect USB dongle. 

Navigator
I would be amazed if they offer us a refund if they are in talks with Samsung. They are far more concerned with keeping Samsung happy in my mind.

They know exactly what the issue is, Samsung just seems like it's working out what to do.

Not that any of this means we can't go for a full refund in the small claims court and have a very decent chance. Although that doesn't mean a judge would agree....
Navigator

Ha, getting from bad to worse with my latest reply from Customer Service - 

 

"

Thank you for your e-mail addressed for the attention of our Chief Executive Officer Sebastian James.  As part of the Customer Support Team, your correspondence has been passed to me to investigate and respond.

 

 

I appreciate your frustration in this matter, and thank you for providing us with the details to review the registered previous communications.  In regard to the issue with Samsung not continuing with the production of the Extender, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  As this is a withdrawal of a third party service, I am afraid that this is outside of our reasonable control.

 

Having looked into the supporting information you have provided in your claim, it would appear that the only reference you have provided is a blog post, credited to the source of Samsung on the 17th March 2016.  Our website clearly states our conditions of sale, and our terms of responsibility for the withdrawal of third party services.  This said, as the product itself was not sold on the premise of the additional item being included, as per the box contents or description on the website from which you purchased the TV, it would not be applicable.  I have also checked the advertised contents included with the TV, which does not state the inclusion of the additional item.  This information was stated at the time of your online purchase to consider in full prior to conducting your purchase.  When making your choice, you agreed to the terms of sale, and have since had substantial use of the item.

 

Our Customer Service team have tried to resolve this situation as best they can, as we do value your custom, and understand your disappointment.  This said, you have stated that you declined the offer of goodwill, and made your intention clear to pursue this further through external means. With full consideration of the situation, I am sorry that we are unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.   

 

 

 

Yours sincerely,"

Hotshot

wrote:

Ha, getting from bad to worse with my latest reply from Customer Service - 

 

"

Thank you for your e-mail addressed for the attention of our Chief Executive Officer Sebastian James.  As part of the Customer Support Team, your correspondence has been passed to me to investigate and respond.

 

 

I appreciate your frustration in this matter, and thank you for providing us with the details to review the registered previous communications.  In regard to the issue with Samsung not continuing with the production of the Extender, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  As this is a withdrawal of a third party service, I am afraid that this is outside of our reasonable control.

 

Having looked into the supporting information you have provided in your claim, it would appear that the only reference you have provided is a blog post, credited to the source of Samsung on the 17th March 2016.  Our website clearly states our conditions of sale, and our terms of responsibility for the withdrawal of third party services.  This said, as the product itself was not sold on the premise of the additional item being included, as per the box contents or description on the website from which you purchased the TV, it would not be applicable.  I have also checked the advertised contents included with the TV, which does not state the inclusion of the additional item.  This information was stated at the time of your online purchase to consider in full prior to conducting your purchase.  When making your choice, you agreed to the terms of sale, and have since had substantial use of the item.

 

Our Customer Service team have tried to resolve this situation as best they can, as we do value your custom, and understand your disappointment.  This said, you have stated that you declined the offer of goodwill, and made your intention clear to pursue this further through external means. With full consideration of the situation, I am sorry that we are unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.   

 

 

 

Yours sincerely,"


Did you include their own link which is clear that the dongle would be free.  They are lying as their web page does say the dongle would be supplied free of charge.  It's interesting as how they are now using a different reason as a  get out.  They clearly advertised the dongle as a feature,  not as a third party app. Remained them of the link and point out the above. Just a case of absorbing all their rubbish and keep to the point. 

Highlighted
Navigator
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice
Hotshot

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

They tried to say that their ownblog was nothing to do with Curry's only for them to have to admit that it was part of their site. They are also trying to say because it was not on the packaging they are not responsible. The regs are quite clear they advertised the dongle on their own web site. Keep these excuses as evidence of their  attempts to evade the law and point that out to them that every thing they are saying will be used as evidence of their willful disregard of the consumer laws,  and you have been informed by cab that they believe you have a case. 

Hotshot

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

Did you use a credit card? 

You may need to search back to where they admitted the blog site was part of the curry's web site and include that as well. 

Helping Hand

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

That was not the sort of response I was expecting, now how on earth did I manage to get £549 out of them if this is how they now behaving.

 

This really sucks :(

Top Liked Authors