Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 24-01-2018 05:59 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ildeduuk wrote:

I have an update in the case:

"Hi ******, I have spoken with Head Office and located the team that deal with the Tech talk section, so please accept my apologies for the previous reply. As I have advised you previously the link you provided does not state that your specific television has the Smart Things included, again the article was printed in March 2016 and you didn't purchase the product until November 2016. The television has not been mis-sold. Please accept my apologies that we are unable to assist with your request on this occasion."

I think this is a first step and a good proof that I have been mis sold. I need to be patient but I think this can be useful. This is a confirmation from them that this is their website.

I find it actually strenthens your case when they admit the advert was online months before you bought your set. 

That's a biggy in that they now admit that it is their site. They could'nt have denied that for long.

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

Here is the relevant bit,

Bringing the smart home to the masses through the telly

Though it is becoming more established, smart home tech remains relatively niche. It’s still the kind of thing purchased by young, tech-savvy folk rather than your mum and dad.

However, Samsung hopes to bring the smart home to a much wider audience by building SmartThings into their new Smart TVs. And, because TVs are mass market it makes this technology easier to access for everyone.

How to use SmartThings on your TV

Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs have a built-in SmartThings hub, which is normally bought separately.

Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi.

On the TV’s hub screen, you’ll see the SmartThings app alongside things like Netflix, YouTube and regular channels.

Highlight the app, and then select the option you want from the boxes that appear above. It’s really that easy to use.

So just copy and ask how they can not be advertising a free Smart Connect Dongle.

It looks like they are going to use the same tactics with every claim, but that does not matter because they know they do not have a defence if it goes to court.

Paul

ildeduuk
Pioneer
Options
Thanks for your message Paul, I will use that info and see what happens and I will update with the result
sneakyvtr
Pioneer
Options

Copy of my post in the Blueplanet HLG thread:

Evening all,

So have just got back from Richer Sounds, I must say from day 1 with this purchase Richer Sounds have outdone themselves. I did not have a single push back, I sent one email requesting a refund, I was told I could bring it back and swap for the KS9000 equivalent of the 2017 range the Q8C. At this point I sent a second email politely asking if we could skip the fuss with section 75 and consumer rights act etc and come to an agreement of a replacement for a different brand. The store manager said he would check with RS HQ but did not foresee it being a problem.

An email this morning saying that was not a problem and please go into the store. I packed up my KS9000 in the original box and returned to their store. 20 minutes later I walked out with a 55" LG B7 OLED.

I asked if they had any other complaints regarding this issue of which they said yes their head office had heard similar before and that Samsung also pulled the same stunt with an 'evolution box' or something similar and it cost them then.

I urge all of you to fight for your refunds as much as possible and hope they do the right thing and side with their customers. Richer Sounds have my loyalty for life and I hope it will persuade you in future to avoid Currys like the plague! Best of luck gentlemen..

ildeduuk
Pioneer
Options

This their answer. I think I don't have more options...

"Thank you for your response. 

I have reviewed the Techtalk web page that you supplied and understand your concerns as to the wording on the link you provided.  However the TV itself was not advertised as having the SmartThings Dongle and therefore we would not look towards the resolution of a refund or replacement TV in regards to your claim for mis-selling.

Should you wish to take this further I can supply a final written response and advise you how to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider. However I do need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe. Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding.

I do understand that this is not the resolution that you are seeking, however I do trust that I have clarified the company’s position in this matter. "

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ildeduuk wrote:

This their answer. I think I don't have more options...

"Thank you for your response. 

I have reviewed the Techtalk web page that you supplied and understand your concerns as to the wording on the link you provided.  However the TV itself was not advertised as having the SmartThings Dongle and therefore we would not look towards the resolution of a refund or replacement TV in regards to your claim for mis-selling.

Should you wish to take this further I can supply a final written response and advise you how to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider. However I do need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe. Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding.

I do understand that this is not the resolution that you are seeking, however I do trust that I have clarified the company’s position in this matter. "

It's interesting they mention ADR and it may be worth looking at that as I believe that is free and when you win that it may shame them into doing the right thing. Also section 75 is also a strong option. Also quote this below and ask how can they say the TV was not advertised with the smart dongle,

How to use SmartThings on your TV

Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs have a built-in SmartThings hub, which is normally bought separately.

Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi.

On the TV’s hub screen, you’ll see the SmartThings app alongside things like Netflix, YouTube and regular channels.

Highlight the app, and then select the option you want from the boxes that appear above. It's really that easy to use.

It is crystal clear. It says Samsungs SUHD TV's so ask them which models that paragraph covers, because I think the 2016 SUHD were the KS models. I have explained this to Citizens Advice and they believe that's enough to show misrepresentation. It is a bit like a game that they will try every excuse and you have to destroy each excuse.

If you have to go to court or start court proceedings then it's an option that you again can discuss with CAB, and tell them that Curry's mentioned the ADR. i have all ready reported Curry's to the Advertising Standards Authority for miss selling. Do not give and explore all avenues, they are fighting because they know that if they easily give replacements it will open the flood gates for KS owners.

Again don't give in,

Paul

ildeduuk
Pioneer
Options

Thanks Paul. I have just contacted CAB, so will see their answer and I will try what you say with Currys again. I will keep you updated

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@ildeduuk wrote:

Thanks Paul. I have just contacted CAB, so will see their answer and I will try what you say with Currys again. I will keep you updated

we both got ours from currys, I have emailed with no reply and ill contact the ceo when I can find his exact email.

lets be honest, I dont encoutner too many companies these days who value customer service and its far more common to get a combatative style when making a complaint.

Thats their view on the subject, but its not their view that would finally matter.

I think if they continue down this line that we truly cannot take the words printed on their site, then we should join together and use group clout to make our point.

I would be happy to chip in for some proper consumer advice from a solicitor... and this is an option we can tell currys we will keep open if they continue this line. bypass their resolution service and seek direct advice, as is our right.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

@ildeduuk wrote:

we both got ours from currys, I have emailed with no reply and ill contact the ceo when I can find his exact email.

lets be honest, I dont encoutner too many companies these days who value customer service and its far more common to get a combatative style when making a complaint.

Thats their view on the subject, but its not their view that would finally matter.

I think if they continue down this line that we truly cannot take the words printed on their site, then we should join together and use group clout to make our point.

I would be happy to chip in for some proper consumer advice from a solicitor... and this is an option we can tell currys we will keep open if they continue this line. bypass their resolution service and seek direct advice, as is our right.

I understand your thoughts on the solicitor but CAB have advised we have a case and with Richer Sounds holding their hands up I think strengthens the case. I think if necessary the money would be better spent on starting the county court because I believe they will not want to go their as they have no defence.

Paul

ildeduuk
Pioneer
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

@ildeduuk wrote:

Hi,

I don't know all the consumer rights we have. I'm new with this thing as I have never had any problem. 

What I can see now is the general opinion about Currys is true. Never buy with them again.

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Ronson808 wrote:

@ildeduuk wrote:

I understand your thoughts on the solicitor but CAB have advised we have a case and with Richer Sounds holding their hands up I think strengthens the case. I think if necessary the money would be better spent on starting the county court because I believe they will not want to go their as they have no defence.

Paul

im thinking both! get the advice, try currys again, then proceed on if we wish.

but having solid information from an expert in the field might be enough to persuade currys we are serious, plus the group is more of a concern than us as indivduals.