Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 27-02-2018 10:24 AM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Can I ask are there any hdmi devices that will pass hlg to the ks or older model without the hdfury? 

Yes, the Samsung 2017 4k Blu-Ray player for one. It was used to create the screenshot on the iPlayer thread a few weeks ago.

So not a lot then,  unless you buy a hdfury,  and still no word from Samsung. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Can I ask are there any hdmi devices that will pass hlg to the ks or older model without the hdfury? 

Yes, the Samsung 2017 4k Blu-Ray player for one. It was used to create the screenshot on the iPlayer thread a few weeks ago.

So not a lot then,  unless you buy a hdfury,  and still no word from Samsung. 

So those posters who were saying that the ks supports hlg over hdmi were right but with only the samsung,  oppo and HD fury,  no other.  Which could be a bit miss leading because it seem to me that there were some saying hlg worked over hdmi .

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

So those posters who were saying that the ks supports hlg over hdmi were right but with only the samsung,  oppo and HD fury,  no other.  

Not "no other", no because there could be others, and other people may know of other devices. :smiling-face:

@paul1111wrote:

Which could be a bit miss leading because it seem to me that there were some saying hlg worked over hdmi .

It would only be misleading if taken out of context. :smiling-face:

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

So those posters who were saying that the ks supports hlg over hdmi were right but with only the samsung,  oppo and HD fury,  no other.  

Not "no other", no because there could be others, and other people may know of other devices. :smiling-face:

@paul1111wrote:

Which could be a bit miss leading because it seem to me that there were some saying hlg worked over hdmi .

It would only be misleading if taken out of context. :smiling-face:

What is miss leading today that only the Samsung and oppo will pass hlg unless you have a hdfury. Be honest and say that the ks does not do hlg over hdmi for just about every hdmi device now on the market and the way things are looking that looks to be the case in the future unless Samsung update the edid,  which is looking less likely as time goes by. You tell me do you think Samsung will update the ks or hope you will buy their new tellies? 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

You tell me do you think Samsung will update the ks or hope you will buy their new tellies? 

I suspect Samsung won't update the KS.  They've known about the EDID problem for months, it's just a 2 byte change that's needed in the EDID, but they didn't include that 2 byte change in the 1220 version.

It's theoretically possible for the end-user to update the EDID if they're brave!!  Just have to work out how to use the Engineer Menu to enable EDID write mode, and then:

i2cset 2 0x50 0xca 0x0d b

i2cset 2 0x50 0xff 0xb3 b

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote: 

It's theoretically possible for the end-user to update the EDID if they're brave!!  Just have to work out how to use the Engineer Menu to enable EDID write mode, and then:

i2cset 2 0x50 0xca 0x0d b

i2cset 2 0x50 0xff 0xb3 b

You go first :smiling-face:

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

If I knew how to activate EDID write mode in the Engineers menu on a KS8000, I probably would.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

If I knew how to activate EDID write mode in the Engineers menu on a KS8000, I probably would.

Thinking about it, what's the worst that could happen? If you did screw it up, it would just presumably be unable to connect to external HDMI devices properly (the tuners and apps would still work). Then you'd just go back into the service menu and write the old EDID values back to reset it to how it was.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

wrote: 
Thinking about it, what's the worst that could happen? If you did screw it up, it would just presumably be unable to connect to external HDMI devices properly (the tuners and apps would still work). Then you'd just go back into the service menu and write the old EDID values back to reset it to how it was.

Agreed. In fact there’s already a feature in the Engineers menu to reload the default EDID values which definately works. I just can’t enable the EDID write mode. I suspect there’s something different about the process because of the One Connect box.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

So does it look like Samsung have forgotten about the KS and older owners as the so called update that was said to be close by @AntS has still not happened. I think I might have been right when I said it was closed. It also looks like Iplayer will be broadcasting the world cup in 4K and HLG which we will not be able to get just like with Sky HLG. The LG and Pana 2016 owners will get it!

0 Likes