Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 31-10-2018 06:59 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:
My tv updates to 1230 today

Re your PM. I can think of a couple of ways of testing to see if the update fixes the HLG problem:

1. Using a websocket client, connect to ws://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/status (use the IP address of the main Sky Q box), and see if "sinkHLG" = true. I use the Chrome websocket extension.
    1.jpg

2. Use an HDFury device (or similar) to inspect the EDID coming from the TV.

I'd test it myself, but I no longer have a KS TV, having got it replaced with a Panasonic FZ952.

I installed the update last night and checked the Sky Q box status using the web socket client, it's still showing HLG sink FALSE so this DOESN'T fix the HLG over HDMI issue.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Samsung ks9000 updated to 1231 from 1230.5 today

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

Update 1239 is meant to update for hlg... currently ota in Italy. Will be getting on usb via samsung helpdesk in a few days. Will see if makes a difference but assume it depends on the input source...does sky q actually have hlg output yet?

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@kit1977 wrote:

Update 1239 is meant to update for hlg... currently ota in Italy. Will be getting on usb via samsung helpdesk in a few days. Will see if makes a difference but assume it depends on the input source...does sky q actually have hlg output yet?

Nope, it isn’t launching here until next year sometime.

With the update dropping It’s nice to know that when they do finally launch it the HLG will work on our KS tv’s.

rozel
Voyager
Options

I've just updated to 1239 firmware on my KS9500.  I have a Roku+ and wonder if there is any way to test the HLG, given we don't have Sky HLG yet in the UK?

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

I've just updated to 1239 firmware on my KS9500.  I have a Roku+ and wonder if there is any way to test the HLG, given we don't have Sky HLG yet in the UK?

From memory: in the past you had to use a HDFury decide between the Roku+ and TV to trick the Roku into sending HLG.

Now, with that firmware, you should be able to use the Roku iPlayer app, and it should work and switch the TV to HDR mode. Use the test clips which are in the iplayer's help menu. 

If you do get it working, posting screenshots of your TV playing this content showing its "Info" banner display (across the top of the screen which you can pull up for HDMI inputs) would be very much appreciated!

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

I'll try my best, thanks.  It may be a bit later when I get back home, at work now.

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

iPlayer Test LoopiPlayer Test LoopiPlayer Dynasties 1iPlayer Dynasties 1iPlayer Dynasties 2iPlayer Dynasties 2

rozel
Voyager
Options

A few Test pics just now - Roku+ was updated first to its new firmware, having updated my KS9500 to firmware 1239

Works flawlessly!  Roll on Sky HDR HLG now :smiling-face: