Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 24-07-2018 12:45 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
I know its the wrong thread but another person has got a full refund for miss selling and can now get a 2018 TV that will give IPLAYER hlg, without the problems of getting devices to get around this issue.
Paul
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options
Probably not as good a display as the KS Series
0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

I’ve been following these threads since the beginning, when there was originally just the one. 

I understand why they were split into 3 but only just noticed the title of this thread - specifically the “from March” part. That’s clearly wrong, as they have never stated when just that it’s in the pipeline for this year.  

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@stevej190,   Perhaps the thread title is a bit misleading  but do not think it was intentional. Some people  hoped HDR would arrive in March  or shortly afterwards,when Sky stated the upgrades would start in March.  However it was only really Spotify that arrived early.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

UHD coverage of Wimbledon will be available via Skyq  (though only for latter stages)  and at this point not in HDR  of course  (the UHD HDR  trial service available on first come first service basis on Iplayer vi Tv app or external device)   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44550307   The tennis looking good on my Tv right now!

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

Interesting post over on the Italian forum by @Thranduil which might suggest that even on the latest Q9FN TV, the HLG gamma curve might still be wrong when using HLG on Sky Q (firmware Q072.000.36.00L) 😞  This seems to result in the same "washed-out" effect I've been seeing when sending HLG to my KS8000 TV (from iPlayer on Stick+).

http://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/td-p/424626/page/93

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Hi tarbat

As Samsung will no doubt be working on a fix for the Q9 Tv hopefully they should be able to use this if hopefully they do fix the KS Tv's

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Sky have today stated that HDR will not come to the UK until 2019

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

Disappointing but atleast it gives Samsung more time to fix the HLG/EDID issue (fingers crossed ofcourse) 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Sky have today stated that HDR will not come to the UK until 2019

I wonder why?  Maybe they realised that having to replace all the non-HDR v1 boxes is going to take longer than they thought.  Or maybe the Sky Italia HDR service has been problematic.

0 Likes