Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 07-06-2018 02:50 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Given the statement made on the Samsung forum today, I would hold off buying an HDFury until we get confirmation about the statement from their Samsung Community Expert. 

1.jpg

Also note that I have confirmed that the Sky Q box does detect the HLG EDID fix using HDRFury. Using a websocket client, my Sky Q box correctly reports the HDFury as an HLG sink.

1.jpg

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

if you look on the avforums KS forum you will see that my TV seems to get any update a week or two before the others

If i get an update and SKy have not launched HDR i will run that websocket for everyone on here to demonstate if the update contains the EDID fix

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

I think it can just be done via the App, but I can't guarantee that as I configure using a PC.  In the App, it should just be a matter of using the EDID Automix option, and ticking the boxes shown below:

1.jpg

I find it hilarious that "HDR/HLG" is a SINGLE OPTION in that App. Ie, you cannot even use that device to create the "HDR but not HLG" situation that we have on our TVs, such is the rarity that it's assumed you'd always have both capabilities?

Perhaps if someone wanted to replicate our problem on another TV for example.

But, there will be some TVs which cannot decode HLG, but can do HDR10, such as the JS 2015 models.

Wonder what happens with those if you tick that box and send them a HLG signal?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

X@mrtickle wrote: 
Wonder what happens with those if you tick that box and send them a HLG signal?

I would expect the TV to remain in SDR mode rec.2020 and display a slightly darker picture. The HLG gamma curve is designed to cope with that situation, with the lower 75% of the gamma curve matching the SDR curve.

It’s actually why I don’t use the Automix Mode on my HDFury anymore, and instead I’ve manually edited the TV’s EDID to just enable the HLG flag in the EDID. It’s a one byte change to indicate HLG, and another one byte change to correct the checksum.

1.jpg

tarbat
Voyager
Options

I'm seeing some confusion on the other iPlayer thread about what exactly the HDFury Integral does.

1. So, firstly, the fault with the KS8000 TV is that the TV's EDID doesn't tell the SkyQ box that it is capable of receiving the Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) form of HDR.

2. What the HDFury Integral does is sit in-between the SkyQ box and the TV, and modifies the EDID that the TV is sending to the SkyQ box to indicate that HLG is supported. The change to the EDID is a single byte and also a corresponding change to the checksum in the EDID.

3. WIth this in place, the SkyQ box now correctly reports that the TV is an HLG sink.

4. The other thing that I can test with the HDFury Integral is getting the TV to automatically switch into HLG mode.  I do this by using the HDFury GUI to inject an HDR Infoframe to the TV that indicates that the video is HLG encoded.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

@tarbat

I suspect a few members (myself included) have either purchased or plan to purchase one of these. 

Would you be happy to explain which two bytes of information you changed to enable the EDID error to be bypassed?

Many thanks in advance

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

I'm seeing some confusion on the other iPlayer thread about what exactly the HDFury Integral does.

Let's not get carried away - I think everyone knows what it does on the other forum the confusion is on another aspect of it's useage.  My own confusion is how and if I could test this thing before Sky launches its HDR (HLG) broadcasts - my answer was quickly given :smiling-face:

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Would you be happy to explain which two bytes of information you changed to enable the EDID error to be bypassed?

I replied to this about an hour ago, but my post got deleted for some reason.  I'll try posting the images without the links to see if this works.

EDID edits:

1.jpg

HDFury Configuration:

SKY HLG.jpg

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Thanks @tarbat really good of you to go into that level of detail.

I have the text from your deleted post as it was forwarded as part of an e-mail thread subscrioption. If helpful to others, repeated below:

------------------

That's not an easy thing to answer, because the EDID will be different on each TV.  It's the third byte in the CEA Extended section for HDR Static Metadata.  It will normally have x'E3 06 05 01', and you need to add 8 to the third byte, so it becomes x'E3 06 0D 01', and then subtract 8 from the last byte of the EDID, which is the checksum.  If you don't know how to edit an EDID, then probably best to use the AUTOMIX option on the HDFury.

I've marked the AUTOMIX option in BLUE on the attached image. RED shows the EDID edits for my TV. PURPLE shows what you need to do if you want to test HDR Infoframe injection of HLG.

rozel
Voyager
Options

You know something?, despite everything I have said,  especially on the other thread, part of me want's to have to use the HD Fury as this sort of thing rocks my boat - sad to admit I'm a nerd,  but can get easily confused :smiling-face:

0 Likes