Support

Open search

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

Voyager

Some markets will be HDR for roland garros, It was last year with fransat located at 5w. Fingers cross HD+ is one as I have a card for that package

 

cheers

Navigator

taken from the Italian version of this website

 

CIao Alessandro, I ask you for a moment to read your summary.
10:54:25 Here I am Alessandro.
10:55:03 Can you confirm if the TV model in your possession is a KS?

Alessandro Pucciatti

10:55:21 We confirm

Andrew

10:55:50 For these models the 4K HDR function with HLG is not yet available

Alessandro Pucciatti

10:56:42 Will it be solved with an update?

Andrew

10:56:52 An update is underway to make the two compatible products
10:57:04 But at the moment we have no release date.

Alessandro Pucciatti

10:58:21 The important thing is to know that samsung is actually trying to solve the problem and that sooner or later the update will come

Andrew

10:58:49 Sure Alexander
10:59:01 For TV 2016, at the moment, the HLG function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update.
10:59:21 2015 tvs are excluded from compatibility
10:59:29 We just have to wait :-)
Helping Hand

 

Thankyou for the information @gfsracing and I know you are just relaying the information and not responsible for it.

 

I'm very skeptical, because in just 2 minutes and 11 seconds, Samsung reversed their position.

 

Position 1:

10:56:52 An update is underway to make the two compatible products
10:57:04 But at the moment we have no release date.

 

Position 2 - 2m 11s later:

10:59:01 For TV 2016, at the moment, the HLG function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update.

 

It can't be both "underway, with no release date" AND being evaluated for a possible future set of work. One happens a long time before the other. The Samsung reps need to decide which line to take.

 

There's little evaluation to be done - change 2 bytes in the EDID to advertise that the TV supports HLG, and hey presto HLG works over HDMI. Helpful people in the community have already demonstrated this with the HDFury devices. Months ago now.

 

Hotshot

@mrtickle wrote:

 

Thankyou for the information @gfsracing and I know you are just relaying the information and not responsible for it.

 

I'm very skeptical, because in just 2 minutes and 11 seconds, Samsung reversed their position.

 

Position 1:

10:56:52 An update is underway to make the two compatible products
10:57:04 But at the moment we have no release date.

 

Position 2 - 2m 11s later:

10:59:01 For TV 2016, at the moment, the HLG function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update.

 

It can't be both "underway, with no release date" AND being evaluated for a possible future set of work. One happens a long time before the other. The Samsung reps need to decide which line to take.

 

There's little evaluation to be done - change 2 bytes in the EDID to advertise that the TV supports HLG, and hey presto HLG works over HDMI. Helpful people in the community have already demonstrated this with the HDFury devices. Months ago now.

 


I think it say's everything when they say they are evaluating the POSIBILITY of afuture update,  instead of  saying they are working on a fix. I find it very hard to believe that it is taking so long to update this edid fix. Either it can be fixed or it can't. Why can Samsung just not come clean and tell us the truth. 

Hotshot

I will say again why is it we get tit bits from all over but nothing from Samsung here? We ask the mods but absolutely nothing.  We were told an announcement was close and yet nothing! It does seem that us ks and JS are stuffed in respect to HLG and any other updates. 

Has it been confirmed that roku works with 4k and HLG iplayer? Just incase the world cup is 4k on iplayer. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

@paul1111 wrote:

Has it been confirmed that roku works with 4k and HLG iplayer? Just incase the world cup is 4k on iplayer. 


I have a KS8000 and am using a Roku Streaming+ stick. It definitely gives 4K HDR on the Beta version of the iPlayer. I've been watching the HDR test loop using the Roku and it looks great. Can't wait for the World cup streams!

Hotshot

@axpetts wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Has it been confirmed that roku works with 4k and HLG iplayer? Just incase the world cup is 4k on iplayer. 


I have a KS8000 and am using a Roku Streaming+ stick. It definitely gives 4K HDR on the Beta version of the iPlayer. I've been watching the HDR test loop using the Roku and it looks great. Can't wait for the World cup streams!

 

Hi,  I think the iplayer hdr loop is HLG.  So if your telly is switching to hdr mode then you have confirmed that the roku does work without the edid fix. Still a shame Samsung will not fix the the ks tellies. 


Voyager

Note that if you want to check if your TV is HLG ready, then using a Websocket client you can check if your Sky Q box detects HLG.

 

Enter into a websocket client - ws://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/status  replacing 192.168.0.xx with the IP address of the Sky Q box. This will return info. about the box, including an HDMI section like this:

 

 "hdmi": {
    "2160p10bitCapable": true,
    "authenticatedHDCP": "2.2",
    "sinkHDCP": "2.2",
    "sinkHLG": true,
    "sinkUHD": true,
    "state": "available",
    "uhdConfigured": true
{

 

Note that this proves that the HDFury Integral correctly indicates to a UK Sky Q box that it's HLG capable, as I'm using an HDFury Integral with my UE55KS8000 TV.

Navigator

Thanks tarbat

 

If the EDID is not fixed soon i will look at getting a HD Fury Integral

 

Please can you confirm if you need to connect a PC is tick the HLG box or can it be doen from the App as this would make it much easier

Voyager

@gfsracing wrote:

Thanks tarbat

 

If the EDID is not fixed soon i will look at getting a HD Fury Integral

 

Please can you confirm if you need to connect a PC is tick the HLG box or can it be doen from the App as this would make it much easier


I think it can just be done via the App, but I can't guarantee that as I configure using a PC.  In the App, it should just be a matter of using the EDID Automix option, and ticking the boxes shown below:

 

1.jpg

 

 

 

Top Liked Authors