Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 21-05-2018 02:48 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

It seems that way, or at the time they only added HLG with the intention of it working with the internal tuners.

Which seems likely as when discussing the iplayer issue they always state HLG for BROADCAST was added to the TV as promised, and won't be made compatible through iplayer.

I know its a play on words but would the live rugby shown on Saturday on Iplayer 4K HLG be broadcast as it's live, bit like the world cup if that's also shown on Iplayer?

It's largely semantics of course, but if it was me I would call it a "live stream".

With broadcasting, when we talk about "live" we all accept a delay of a few seconds while the signal bounces up to a satellite and back down, and through the network to our screens. Also the Digital TV era adds a few seconds of encoding delay on top of that, plus decoding delay at the TV end. So a "live" broadcast now will easily be 2-3 seconds behind a "live" broadcast in the analogue age. You can hear this every day if you compare the imposter digital pips on Radio 4 DAB to the real ones on FM. :smiling-face:

With internet streaming, as opposed to proper broadcasting, people accept there is a much, much bigger delay. With Sky's live streams of F1 for example they are easily 30 seconds to a minute behind the proper broadcast. However, to make things simpler we all still tend to call them "live" streams. YouTubers do, for example.

So that means that Samsung can say Iplayer is not broadcast and that is why the KS can not get the 4K HLG?

Thanks.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

They can say what they like, so far very little, yet we here already know the technical reasons for it which have been discussed ad nauseam.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

According to this the fix will be issued early june 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/td-p/424626/page/78

You might need to use google translate

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

According to this the fix will be issued early june 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/td-p/424626/page/78

You might need to use google translate

Thanks. An Italian Sky customer service person told an Italian Sky customer than Samsung will be releasing the updated firmware. As we've said before, any and all information is welcome to try to build up a patchwork picture (for example, it was correct when informing us of the April firmware which contains the Game Mode fix). But that was from Samsung insiders and people with contacts within Samsung. Sky is a completely separate company.

Nevertheless I'm sure many of us here know that Sky customer services "have form" in this regard of telling less than 100% truth to customers, so we'll eagerly await for another corroborating source.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

I acknowledge your point, however via different forums from the USA / Italy etc we seem to be getting the same answer we can only be encouraging

Early June would ties in with the World Cup as well which im sure they would aim for

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Not sure how accurate the article is,  obviously Sky Italia has started broadcasting in HDR and on the agenda for this year in UK but highly speculative to say it is "imminent"  .   The Q71 update starting rolling out on 18 May  which is  a minor change focusing on Accessibility , following on from the Q70 update which introduced the new interface and Spotify .

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Indeed, another opinion piece, and considering Sky Italia updated there customers back in March Pocket lint appear to be a bit behind the curve

Re The World Cup, I dont think there is much interest in Italy, for obvious reasons, RAI didnt even bother bidding for rights, Mediaset (who got the rights) are showing some games in 4k SDR but it will be via there DTT platform and not SAT so I think its unlikley it will be made available via the Sky Italia Q platform

cheers

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Not sure how accurate the article is,  obviously Sky Italia has started broadcasting in HDR and on the agenda for this year in UK but speculative to say it is "imminent"  .   The Q71 update starting rolling out on 18 May  which is  a minor change focusing on Accessibility , following on from the Q70 update which introduced the new interface and Spotify .

Indeed. It's not imminent: when it is, there will be a Sky Press Release.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

For those interested Eurosport will be broadcasting some of  the French Open Tennis in UHD (obviously not HDR in UK yet) and presumably the other slams they cover (though in Uk Amazon has contract for Us Open 2018)  https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/05/22/eurosport-launching-4k-uhd-tv-channel-for-roland-garros/

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.