Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 12-04-2018 05:27 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbatwrote:

I've update my KS8000 with the 1220 update, and it makes no difference to the EDID, it's identical to the EDID before the update - I checked it on my HDFury.

So, no HLG 😞

And still nothing from Samsung! !! 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

I've update my KS8000 with the 1220 update, and it makes no difference to the EDID, it's identical to the EDID before the update - I checked it on my HDFury.

So, no HLG 😞

ok thanks for the info, both to you and  @UHDHDR .

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Firmware 1220.7 is now up on the UK support page, for those who want their Game Mode enhancement.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55KS7000UXXU#n

0 Likes
rled050469
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

Firmware 1220 doesn't fix the HLG EDID issue for DirecTV, so it likely won't fix it for Sky either. We'll have to wait for a future firmware update for that.

By the way, this is off topic, but since the game mode HDR fix was mentioned, I thought I'd clear up a misconception regarding HDR video games. I visited a friend yesterday who has an Xbox One X and an HDFury Linker, and contrary to what has been posted on this and other forums, HDR games on the Xbox One X output BT2020 color space, not BT709. Only the Xbox One S was outputting BT709 for video games, because it only supported BT2020 for media. The Xbox One X does support WCG for HDR video games, though.

I can confirm from Italy that SKYQ box still do not see the KS series as HLG compliant display. so nothing is changed and wihtout HDFURY resolution avalaible is still 4K 10bit, but nor HDR.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

So it still hinges on Samsung updating the EDID then at least they have released new firmware for the KS7000 I guess lol.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@daleski75wrote:

So it still hinges on Samsung updating the EDID then at least they have released new firmware for the KS7000 I guess lol.

All of the 2016 range should get this new firmware.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rled050469wrote:

I can confirm from Italy that SKYQ box still do not see the KS series as HLG compliant display. so nothing is changed and wihtout HDFURY resolution avalaible is still 4K 10bit, but nor HDR.

If you turn off the HLG enable in the EDID on your HDFury, what colour space does the HDFury show is getting sent to the TV when viewing a 4K HLG broadcast?  BT.709 or BT.2020?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@rled050469wrote:

If you turn off the HLG enable in the EDID on your HDFury, what colour space does the HDFury show is getting sent to the TV when viewing a 4K HLG broadcast?  BT.709 or BT.2020?

Can I ask are there any hdmi devices that will pass hlg to the ks or older model without the hdfury? 

0 Likes
rled050469
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@rled050469wrote:

Can I ask are there any hdmi devices that will pass hlg to the ks or older model without the hdfury? 

color space is managed correctly HDR off= BT.709. it turns to BT.2020 only if sky is sending HDR (then only wiht HLG enabled in EDID)

as far I know there is an OPPO and  SAMSUNG player able to force HLG in KS (ignoring the EDID). All the previous TV Samsung (from 2015) can't support this becouse HLG is completly missing

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Yes, the Samsung 2017 4k Blu-Ray player for one. It was used to create the screenshot on the iPlayer thread a few weeks ago.

0 Likes