Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 30-03-2018 01:53 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
rled050469
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@tarbatwrote:

Latest reply from Samsung U.K. Support.  I wonder what they mean by “alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices“.

.......... the HLG or 'Hybrid Log Gamma' function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update. Hence, it is not yet compatible on external devices connected to your TV such as Sky Q box, even if the external device itself is HLG capable.

Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. Know that it has been raised and being looked into with the highest priority. We cannot promise any specific time scale but Samsung is doing its best to enhance our products and services as soon as possible. Should there be any updates (software or alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices), Samsung will keep us posted.

To me that reads like a poorly worded version of what our American friends with DirectTV have already been told: a fix for the EDID issue is being worked on, with no timescale at present. As we know here, software wise, there aren't a "range of ways" they can choose "alternatives" from, it's one way - just fix the EDID (which is relatively simple to do)!

The only logical conclusion for "alternatives" therefore, is they are talking about hardware (ie a new One Connect box) which would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, since you don't need new hardware to change the EDID. To me I think this is what a company would say if they were panicking and wanted to keep all their options open.

we got quite similar answers from Smasung Italy too (either firmware update or alternative ways).... meaning too me either new One Connect or external small interface, just to fix the EDID issue.... wondering if is a way to ask more money to us (I will stay anyway on HDfury in that case.....)

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rled050469wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

@tarbatwrote:

Latest reply from Samsung U.K. Support.  I wonder what they mean by “alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices“.

.......... the HLG or 'Hybrid Log Gamma' function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update. Hence, it is not yet compatible on external devices connected to your TV such as Sky Q box, even if the external device itself is HLG capable.

Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. Know that it has been raised and being looked into with the highest priority. We cannot promise any specific time scale but Samsung is doing its best to enhance our products and services as soon as possible. Should there be any updates (software or alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices), Samsung will keep us posted.

To me that reads like a poorly worded version of what our American friends with DirectTV have already been told: a fix for the EDID issue is being worked on, with no timescale at present. As we know here, software wise, there aren't a "range of ways" they can choose "alternatives" from, it's one way - just fix the EDID (which is relatively simple to do)!

The only logical conclusion for "alternatives" therefore, is they are talking about hardware (ie a new One Connect box) which would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, since you don't need new hardware to change the EDID. To me I think this is what a company would say if they were panicking and wanted to keep all their options open.

we got quite similar answers from Smasung Italy too (either firmware update or alternative ways).... meaning too me either new One Connect or external small interface, just to fix the EDID issue.... wondering if is a way to ask more money to us (I will stay anyway on HDfury in that case.....)

May be they can't fix it and it's something to do with the version of tizen operating system being 3. something instead of version 4 that's on the newer Q series. 

0 Likes
rled050469
Voyager
Options

Knowing it's only EDID, that need to be corrected, to me is really hard to believe that can be an issue for any software version.

If something like this can't be fixed in the firmware means is really poorly designed.....

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rled050469wrote: 
Knowing it's only EDID, that need to be corrected, to me is really hard to believe that can be an issue for any software version.

If something like this can't be fixed in the firmware means is really poorly designed.....

You would have thought a one byte change in the EDID and re-calculated checksum would be really easy. So now I'm wondering whether the EDID isn't easily updated on these TVs. After all, EDID's always used to be stored in an EEPROM, so maybe it can't be fixed with a firmware update but needs updating via the I²C-bus.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rled050469wrote:

With Samsung that would not surprise me,  and would explain their silence. 

0 Likes
rled050469
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@rled050469wrote:

You would have thought a one byte change in the EDID and re-calculated checksum would be really easy. So now I'm wondering whether the EDID isn't easily updated on these TVs. After all, EDID's always used to be stored in an EEPROM, so maybe it can't be fixed with a firmware update but needs updating via the I²C-bus.

I think you got the point and is what I'm afraid with..... I also think this is the true reason, isn't a firmware problem, is something that is in some EEPROM in the HDMI interface.

In that case yes it can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade, if is in a EEPROM then this need to be updated or replaced.... (manining or new one connect or anyway have to deal with phisical support.......)

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@rled050469wrote: 

And that would explain why they have not updated it and why there is silence,  or they do not want to update so you will buy one of their new TVs. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rled050469wrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@rled050469wrote:

I think you got the point and is what I'm afraid with..... I also think this is the true reason, isn't a firmware problem, is something that is in some EEPROM in the HDMI interface.

In that case yes it can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade, if is in a EEPROM then this need to be updated or replaced.... (manining or new one connect or anyway have to deal with phisical support.......)

And again I ask samsung to come clean and inform us,  because they must know why they have not updated the edid?  

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

The pressure from millions of litiguous American customers will easily solve this problem for us, I think.

Grinch
Explorer
Options

So no point me upgrading to Sky Q and paying for the 4K. 

0 Likes