Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 24-03-2018 06:06 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
tarbat
Voyager
Options

So Sky Italia have been broadcasting 4K HLG this weekend, and as good as my Italian is, I can't be sure, but I don't think any 2016 KS owners have been able to view it in HLG. Even worse, they are reporting that their beloved Ferraris are ORANGE. My guess is this is caused by the broadcast being in BT.2020 colour space, but the TV processing it as SDR (BT.709).

Anyway, discussion at https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/td-p/424626

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks for that info. Wonder if it looks like  Papaya orange - that would really get them going :smiling-face:

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

It looks like ourKS will not be getting SKY HLG as per this

Saverio571
Superuser

Yes. In Italy F1 in HLG but don't work in Samsung models 2016.
I give you any good news for this problem.
Saverio Casadidio

Thanks for the info.

What I can not understand is Samsung said on these forums that the KS will support all broadcast HLG but not Iplayer. So is Sky now also not deemed as broadcast or is just that Samsung again has told porkies?
0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hlg broadcast is  bt2100 (simply put, containing bt2020 and rec709 in the same curve) so it shouldn’t matter what display is being fed the signal,

isn’t that  the whole point of why it’s being adopted?

i doubt that’s what causing the funny colours, would suspect it’s more to do with grading and filming an outside broadcast where light is constantly changing, this is new tech bound to be teething issues

cheers

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

What I can not understand is Samsung said on these forums that the KS will support all broadcast HLG but not Iplayer. So is Sky now also not deemed as broadcast or is just that Samsung again has told porkies?

I guess what Samsung mean by "broadcast" is received by aerial or satelite directly by the TV tuners rather than through HDMI.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

Hlg broadcast is  bt2100 (simply put, containing bt2020 and rec709 in the same curve) so it shouldn’t matter what display is being fed the signal,

Yes, the HLG gamma curve should work for both HLG and SDR, but the colour space used by HLG is BT.2020, whereas if the TV thinks it's receiving SDR it might be using the old BT.709 colour space.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@chopples123wrote:

Yes, the HLG gamma curve should work for both HLG and SDR, but the colour space used by HLG is BT.2020, whereas if the TV thinks it's receiving SDR it might be using the old BT.709 colour space.

you lost me mate sorry, are you talking about the ks set?  the edid will inform its not compatible so it will display the rec709 of the bt2100 signal. Or are you saying it a problem with HLG compatible sets? (sorry not read the italian thread) because what should happen there  is it will receive rec2100, engage HLG and receive the appropriate signal and display the correct space (same as rec2020). 

In short i think the issue will be somewhere else in the chain. 

TBH though nothing has really changed though from 2,3,4 weeks ago has it? until a firmware update is pushed (if it even gets pushed) it wont work on 2016 sets, with a possible workaround being using a device which can force the signal to the set

cheers

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options
Good explanation of HLG gamma curve and colour space here. - http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=434s&v=dvTYhWkBXaU
chopples123
Voyager
Options

I was struggling with how the TV would think its receiving 709 when its receiving 2020 and map it (and vice versa). I didn't think this would be possible without using a third party device. I have messed with this myself on a Q7 via the travelXP channel at 19.2e (over HDMI) . I have never seen what you are suggesting mate.

Edit... just put that thread through a translator, I seen the orange ferrari. Comments after suggest qualifying was fine, there have been no firmware updates for the box since yesterday. It seems it was in issue elsewhere in the chain rather than the wrong signal being sent to sets. 

cheers

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Neither. Those are not the only two choices.

As you know, we need the EDID fix to happen on the TV first before HLG-over-HDMI will work properly. At the moment with the broken EDID on the TV end, HLG-over-HDMI only works from some devices.

We had to wait until today to find out if the Italian SkyQ Beta Tester's boxes were in the "some".

Now we know they are not in the "some", for that particular beta-test version of the Italian SkyQ software.

We still need the EDID fix, which we wanted anyway, and then when we have that, HLG-over-HDMI will work from "all" in-spec devices instead of just the "some" (very forgiving ones) which don't care about a correct EDID on the TV end.