Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 12-03-2018 08:30 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

I was thinking of purchasing an HDFury myself recently. I have two questions:

1. How did the HLG image look to you? When I play HLG from YouTube via HDMI, the image, especially skin tones, look very oversaturated.

2. How exactly did you override the TV's EDID and inject the infoframe for HLG? Did you use the HDFury's default GUI?

The HLG image looked, as expected, oversaturated, since the source material's gamma range is not HLG.  Although one surprise was that Wonder Woman UHD download from Sky Q actually looked quite good, which did make me wonder whether any of Sky's content is already encoded for HLG. Given that HLG is "backward-compatible" for normal SDR TVs, it's a possiblity that Sky already have some material with HLG gamma levels.

To override the EDID I used the standard HDFury Integral GUI. You can simply use the AUTOMIX function and enable HDR/HLG, and that works. However the approach I used was to capture the TVs EDID using HDFury, and then edit that in EEditGold software to add the HLG flag to the CEA extension. Export from EEditGold and load into the HDFury EDID table.

So you used to EEditGold to generate the Infoframe which you then loaded into the HDFury GUI?

But what has this got to with sky hlg on ks Samsung TVs ? Which is what this thread is about. 

tarbat found a way to get Sky HLG to work on the KS TVs using the HDFury.

Try to keep up.

Why are you so agrevivsive?  I was just asking a question . And do you have sky q in Canada? 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Strictly speaking, I haven’t found a way to get Sky HLG to work on the KS TVs. That would need Sky to provide HLG content on Sky Q.  All I’ve done is prove two points:

1. The EDID for 2016 KS TVs does not include HLG. This can be overcome by using an HDFury to spoof an EDID that includes HLG.
  2. 2016 KS TVs do correctly recognise the HLG version of HDR metadata on HDMI. I proved this by injecting HLG metadata into the HDMI input from Sky Q.

This suggests to me that all Samsung need to do is correct the EDID on their 2016 KS TVs to allow HLG to work on HDMI inputs.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbatwrote:

Strictly speaking, I haven’t found a way to get Sky HLG to work on the KS TVs. That would need Sky to provide HLG content on Sky Q.  All I’ve done is prove two points:

1. The EDID for 2016 KS TVs does not include HLG. This can be overcome by using an HDFury to spoof an EDID that includes HLG.
  2. 2016 KS TVs do correctly recognise the HLG version of HDR metadata on HDMI. I proved this by injecting HLG metadata into the HDMI input from Sky Q.

This suggests to me that all Samsung need to do is correct the EDID on their 2016 KS TVs to allow HLG to work on HDMI inputs.

I really thank you for that answer.  May a ask,  if Samsung do not update then ks owners can not get sky q hlg?  Also may I ask what other device's can send a hlg signal to the ks TV?  I ask this because I am just getting accused of spamming for just asking what I think is a reasonable question? 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

1. 2016 KS TVs do correctly recognise the HLG version of HDR metadata on HDMI. I proved this by injecting HLG metadata into the HDMI input from Sky Q.

This is what I am wondering about. HLG doesn't use metadata. So I am wondering where you got that infoframe data from, and would it even be required, since HLG does not use metadata? Shouldn't just overriding the EDID be sufficient?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Several IFs in this answer. IF Samsung do not update the EDID on 2016 KS TVs, then when (IF) Sky start using HLG it won’t work on 2016 KS TVs, unless Sky provide a way of ignoring the EDID (unlikely). The proven workaround is to use an HDFury Integral or similar device to spoof the EDID.

As to what other devices send HLG encoded video. I understand that CalMAN have developed a workflow that can output HLG from a PC with an appropriate video card and an HDFury Integral to inject the HLG infoframe, and then there’s the DirecTV boxes in the US that send HLG encoded video.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

wrote: 
This is what I am wondering about. HLG doesn't use metadata. So I am wondering where you got that infoframe data from, and would it even be required, since HLG does not use metadata? Shouldn't just overriding the EDID be sufficient?

You're correct. I’ve used the word “metadata” incorrectly. Changing the EDID simply tells the source that the TV can accept HLG.

The HDMI video stream itself needs to have an HDR infoframe that indicates that the video stream contains HLG encoded video.  I got the infoframe from the guys at HDFury, who used their Vertex GUI to generate an infoframe encoded for EOTF = HLG with Primaries = ITU-R BT2020-2. That created the infoframe that I then used in the HDFury Integral GUI to inject the infoframe into the HDMI video stream.

The infoframe I used is 87:01:1a:cc:03:00:34:21:aa:9b:96:19:fc:08:48:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:a0:0f:32:00:e8:03:90:01

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

wrote: 

You're correct. I’ve used the word “metadata” incorrectly. Changing the EDID simply tells the source that the TV can accept HLG.

The HDMI video stream itself needs to have an HDR infoframe that indicates that the video stream contains HLG encoded video.  I got the infoframe from the guys at HDFury, who used their Vertex GUI to generate an infoframe encoded for EOTF = HLG with Primaries = ITU-R BT2020-2. That created the infoframe that I then used in the HDFury Integral GUI to inject the infoframe into the HDMI video stream.

The infoframe I used is 87:01:1a:cc:03:00:34:21:aa:9b:96:19:fc:08:48:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:a0:0f:32:00:e8:03:90:01

Perfect. Thanks

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

From reading this it would seem that unless Samsung add in the correct EDID for HLG over HDMI then when Sky release HLG capable content our TV's won't be able to take advantage of it.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@daleski75wrote:

From reading this it would seem that unless Samsung add in the correct EDID for HLG over HDMI then when Sky release HLG capable content our TV's won't be able to take advantage of it.

What I can not understand is why have Samsung not updated the ks and save all this hassle,  if it was possible? 

But if they don't are they thinking we would buy a new Samsung tv so we can get sky HDR,  hlg. 

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@daleski75wrote:

What I can not understand is why have Samsung not updated the ks and save all this hassle,  if it was possible? 

But if they don't are they thinking we would buy a new Samsung tv so we can get sky HDR,  hlg. 

Only time will tell but if they don’t I can’t see anyone sticking with their Samsung tv for very long.

0 Likes