Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't this abnormal?

(Topic created on: 15-07-2018 05:15 AM)
frostinheart
Student
Options

Hi there everyone, been using my Q7f 65inch for around 3 months now and today i realized a weird thing when doing a black levels and dimming test. All of my screen is ghosting and full of white bleeding when something is light inside the black. This looked very weird to me and disturbed alot.

Please take a look at the video and share your ideas.

Video link

I have called samsung service and they wil be checking the tv tomorrow. What is your recommendations?

Thanks everyone and regards

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
frostinheart
Student
Options

20180714_173936.jpg

20180714_173951.jpg

20180714_173931.jpg

20180714_174022.jpg

20180714_174036.jpg

20180714_173958.jpg

20180714_174015.jpg

20180714_174041.jpg

Im having the perfection with my perfect blacks and dimming. I think samsung is doing this to me on purpose

0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options

I was struggling to find reviews on the Q8CN some weeks ago. Like past years I am rolling with the assumption - that besides the curve - the panel should be the same as the closest equivilant. In this case the flat Q7FN.

I would expect these recommended settings for the Q7FN should also apply to the Q8CN. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7fn-q7f-q7-2018/settings

It's possible you may be using these already or close to it, as out of the box is not always great.

You've got some good ways of testing normal content, what with the football and tennis on BBC iPlayer - this should showcase any DSE. If you can't see it in football then I wouldn't worry about the test patterns. For a quick test on the TV's BBC iPlayer app, if you go into the app settings you can play a UHD HDR loop of some football.

If you are seeing any major issues during SDR viewing - Blu-ray / Netflix / Amazon etc., with the rtings settings, then I would be more concerned.

As for HDR, which maxes out your backlight, this may show up some minor clouding issues. As the display's are edge-lit from the bottom you are likely to notice some fluctuation in the lighting in the black letterbox bars of films. I believe this to be normal. However, as mentioned, if you experience anything that stands out during SDR viewing especially, then I would be more concerned.

I found the film Gravity to be a good stress test for my Q7FN. I just used the standard 1080p Blu-ray, and the rtings settings. It was great in a pitch black room. During some scenes on HDR films I can occassionally see some issues, but having a lamp on helps. I'll likely be buying a Luminoodle off Amazon or something similar to help the dark-room HDR viewing.

0 Likes
frostinheart
Student
Options
Its a defective tv.
0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options
Yeah, I suspect that may be the case from the photos. Just posting some recommended settings in the off chance they may be helpful.

I've gone through a few repairs and exchanges too so I know how frustrating the whole experience can be.
0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options
@frostinheart I'm curious to hear what your next step is now?

I got my replacement yesterday and initial impressions were very positive - no dead pixels. The first had a cluster of dead pixels, but the picture and uniformity were otherwise excellent.

This new replacement unfortunately has what I think is bad clouding or flashlighting.

The price they charge for these QLED TV's, these issues just shouldn't be happening.

0 Likes
frostinheart
Student
Options

We have checked and confirmed all the problems that the tv has with the samsung's technicians (in turkey they are coming home for installation for the warranty to be valid, you can't install yourself like in the states) and it's forwarded to the administration team. Yesterday i called them to check, the local service said, we are waiting for the replacement approval which will be approved and you will be able to get a refund or get a new product as you like. I may get 2018 q9fn with some additional funds, or may get my money back. I'm still between those to decide, and if i choose upgrading, ill ask the service to confirm the product before sending home, this process is really life leeching.
If you have massive clouding like mine, please ask for a replacement because its really faulty. Im sending you pictures of my two qled's (one healthy and one faulty) plus a friend's qled that i recommended him buying.

This is the tv of my friend which is 2017 Q8C (The clouding is appearing more on the camera, its very low in real life)

707779e9-3055-491a-a011-6a8a26cce97a.jpeg

This is my 2018 Q8c, the same scene with the 2017 Q8, you can see the difference

20180716_235513.jpg

This is my Q7f on the left in a darker room, and my 2018 Q8 in a lighter room (which normally should cover the clouding much more than dark rooms)

lolo2.png

0 Likes
frostinheart
Student
Options

0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options

IMG_20180718_230007053.jpg

IMG_20180718_225952832_LL.jpg

IMG_20180719_014133068.jpg

IMG_20180718_225931149_LL.jpg

IMG_20180718_224657127.jpg

IMG_20180719_014452784_LL.jpg

Here's some photos of mine. The one with the dead pixels was fine in this area. No idea if they have a break in period, so had it on a bit today, and will see how it fairs tonight.

0 Likes
frostinheart
Student
Options

The tv you just pictured is a defective tv also, i can easily see the lights under and above. that shouldnt be there by any chance for a top tier tv. You may call for the service to check for sure. Its a sure faulty tv.

Also i would like to thank you samsung turkey, they have kindly given me the replacement confirmation and went beyond ending up giving me a q9fn with a small price difference.

With all regards

0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options

@frostinheart wrote:

The tv you just pictured is a defective tv also, i can easily see the lights under and above. that shouldnt be there by any chance for a top tier tv. You may call for the service to check for sure. Its a sure faulty tv.

Also i would like to thank you samsung turkey, they have kindly given me the replacement confirmation and went beyond ending up giving me a q9fn with a small price difference.

With all regards

Glad you got it sorted! How did you get the Q9FN? Did you purchase your TV direct from Samsung to get that offer?

My 2018 Q7FN is a warranty replacement for a 2016 KS7500. I did mention about paying the difference for a Q9FN, but it didn't seem possible.

I was actually very happy with the first Q7FN despite a cluster of dead pixels, just gutted that the new replacement is far worse.

I have sent some more photos in showing the issue even with room lights on, so hopefully they will agree to replace it now.

IMG_20180720_215348062_LL.jpg

IMG_20180720_204701389_LL.jpg

IMG_20180720_210401728_LL.jpg

0 Likes