Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone using a USB hub out of their TV USB ports to run HDDs etc? And issues?

(Topic created on: 12-06-2019 05:38 PM)
crustacean
Apprentice
Options

I have trouble getting access to my USB ports on my 6400 series TV. In addition, 2 HDDs with C-type connections at the HDD end do not work with the TV, tho' they work fine with my laptop. A drive with a mini-USB socket works fine with the TV.

This common problem may well be that the current on start-up of the drives exceeds what is available at the USB ports on the TV.

I had the idea that a powered hub would provide more power to the the drives, as well as making access to the ports easier. Samsung C/S [chat and phone] are no help at all. On the phone they won't even discuss it, saying that the TV is 'plug & play' and anything else - 3rd party item - plugged into it is not their concern. 'Chat' went all round the houses but essentially said "Might work. Might not. No idea". Not helpful.

Has anyone tried a hub? How was it for you?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Any normal USB hard drive should work. You do not need external power drive.

0 Likes
samwit
Journeyman
Options
I am using usb hub with NU8072 and two flash sticks, and everything is working ok. Hub is not powered, but I assume it is of no concern.

One of the inconveniences is that the TV does not remember that I added sticks to the "home screen", they always disappear after turning off the TV.
crustacean
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your reply. In principle you are right. In practice, regrettably not. Naughty step for Mr Samsung ...

I have a WD Elements 500Gb and a Tosh 1Tb pocketable HDD and neither work with the TV - drives not seen, tho' the indicator lighgts come on and you can feel the drive spinning up - tho' they work perfectly with this laptop.  I have tried refornatting to FAT32 and the other FAT [?]. That didn't help.

I find it interesting that these two have C-type USB sockets. The Freecom 500Gb HDD that does work with the TV has a mini USB socket.

0 Likes
crustacean
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your response. My flash sticks work in the TV's USB ports. Other than the faff of getting round the back to plug them, no issues. The problem arises with two HDDs - see my reply to blackbelt.

Have you tried running a small HDD like a WD Elements or similar via the hub? Which hub did you buy?

0 Likes
samwit
Journeyman
Options

Ok, I've connected the Hitachi Touro S 1TB 2.5'' 7200 USB3.0 drive through my USB hub and it works without problems. Hub is some cheap 4-port "Hama USB 2.0 hub".

crustacean
Apprentice
Options
Thanks. That's very helpful and a good place to start.
0 Likes
crustacean
Apprentice
Options

For anyone else looking for this HDD it is in fact a WD badged as Hitachi. Hitachi Touro S 1TB 2.5'' 7200 USB3.0

http://www.touropro.com/en/product/touro-s/index.htm

0 Likes
WillH5080
Apprentice
Options

Hi! I use SAMSUNG 250GB HDD with FITFORT 7 in 1 usb hub and it works good, without any problems

0 Likes
pad12
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung UE55RU7020KXXU TV with 2 USB drives. I would like to connect a single wall powered USB splitter (such as the ‘LITZEE USB Hub Powered 3.0, USB Data Hub with UK Adapter’). This is so I can have two media drives permanently connected to the USB splitter and the TV but able to be turned on/off using the switch at the splitter. Can I do this?

0 Likes