Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent audio cutting out with optical (toslink) The Frame 2019 49"

(Topic created on: 24-05-2020 06:10 AM)
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

I have some severe clipping, cutting out, choppy, glitchy, stuttering (whatever is the correct term) audio.

It happens for a millisecond every other second or so. It feels that it happens more often when there are audio intense moments, but it could also be that it's just more noticeable at those moments.

It happens on both HDMI channels (Apple TV and XBOX), as well as DTV (which I never watch, so that's not really an issue, but could help determining the problem).

The apps on Samsung works better, but after a while the clipping sound appears. On the apps it occurs sometimes and sometimes not, compared to the Apple TV and XBOX where it happens all the time steadily.

When I connect the optical cable to my XBOX everything sounds perfect and there is no clipping whatsoever. 

Also analogue works perfectly with the amp.

All the suggestions I've read mostly focused on changing the Digital Output Audio Format to PCM, which I've tried with no luck.

I've tried factory resetting the TV which didn't do anything.

The manual for my amp says:

The digital inputs are capable of handling up to 24bit / 192 kHz audio signal in PCM-format. check your source signal type to make sure it is in the right format.

Are there any settings I'm missing on my TV to set this up properly? Does 24bit / 192kHz mean anything that I should change in the setup?

Here is my setup:

TV: The Frame 2019 49" (QE49LS03RAU) – 2 months old

Amp: NAD Amp1 (NADAMP1BK) connected via the optical input (D1 for TV use) with a new optical cable (ARGCL1OPT1,0) – both bought 1 week ago

Stereo system 2:1

HDMI 1: Apple TV4 connected with new Premium HDMI cable from Deltaco

I've tried all the different audio settings (Stereo / Dolby Digital, and forcing 16bit) which doesn't change anything

HDMI 2: XBOX One S connected with the in-the-box HDMI cable – 2 weeks old

Tried Stereo Uncompressed and Bitstream, neither changed anything. 

Worth noting is that the TV don't recognize my amp correctly, it instead sets it up as a Denon. 

When it doesn't want to set the amp up and I manually have to say which it is I can choose Nad Amp1, but the remote won't work then and it didn't have any any other affect on the audio.

124 REPLIES 124
Kikimora
Explorer
Options

it is interesting that televisions without One connect box doesnt have this problem. We had Samsung F8000 with ND8006 (optical) without problem. Also for about a week with qe65q90T (without One connect box) also without problem

0 Likes
Phlajo
Journeyman
Options

It seems like an issue with the one connect box. I've had my amp connected to another older Sony TV with Toslink cable without any issues.

I highly doubt that Samsung will admit that the issue is on their side, and hence probably not fix it. Hopefully Quad can help with an update.

This is my first, and probably last, Samsung TV. Only bought this because GF really likes the Frame design, but this bad optical output is just not acceptable for me.

0 Likes
Kikimora
Explorer
Options

Yes, Frame design has high WAF 😀

0 Likes
Mike117
Journeyman
Options

Hey Kikimora, I have Qled 55q85ra, so with OneConect box + Marantz ND8006, same issue as everyone else here. It may be Samsung's poor digital out, however these mid and higher end DACs should be able to handle it, as I can't really see how  others work fine, e.g. Denon RCD-N10 and cheap Fiio Taishan D03K, and ESS DAC devices don't.... No answers from Marantz on Facebook as well...

0 Likes
Phlajo
Journeyman
Options

I got in touch with Quad, and after a few e-mails they sent me a firmware update for my amp - The update should give me the possiblity to change my Optical 2 port from 'Normal' to 'Wide', which should result in better jitter rejection. 

Instructions from Quad regarding how to change the setting: 

"To change the setting press and hold OPT2 for 5 sec , then LED should flash once for (Normal -> Wide)
and LED should flash twice for (Wide -> Normal)."

Ill try this fix as soon as possible, and get back with an update. 

Fingers crossed :smiling-face:

Mike117
Journeyman
Options

Let us know how that works for you. On my Marantz ND8006, with latest firmware, the audio range from Low to Medium or Wide does not make any difference with the Optical source from Samsung Qled One Connect box.

0 Likes
gianmanis
First Poster
Options

Hello

I'm having the same issue with a McIntosh D100 amp connected with the optical out :shocked-face-with-exploding-head:

I'm very very very disappointed. 

The sound was good  when used with an old and cheaper LG Tv.

0 Likes
RedBlue
Journeyman
Options

@gianmanis wrote:

Hello

I'm having the same issue with a McIntosh D100 amp connected with the optical out :shocked-face-with-exploding-head:

I'm very very very disappointed. 

The sound was good  when used with an old and cheaper LG Tv.

Welcome to the long line of disappointed Samsung TV customers... Sorry to make it even worse: you'll actually find that your TV optical out works ok with a cheap amp, DAC or soundbar!

0 Likes
clumb
Explorer
Options

Couple of solutions..

1. Accept Samsung screwed this
  2. Consider using the TV just as a screen and get some decent set top box with known good output
  3. Beg your AV equipment provider for an update to compensate for Samsung's bad output
  4. Fiddle around with external add-on boxes....and accept that digital signal usually at least does not get that much worse by adding quality "hops"
  5. consider buying a high end TV...but then again, what for?
0 Likes
gianmanis
First Poster
Options

Thank you.

Besides I think It's an issue related to the ess sabre dac. 

Yes, I will try to contact McIntosh also.

If I get a solution I will let you know (I doubt).

0 Likes