Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent audio cutting out with optical (toslink) The Frame 2019 49"

(Topic created on: 16-01-2020 04:06 PM)
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

I have some severe clipping, cutting out, choppy, glitchy, stuttering (whatever is the correct term) audio.

It happens for a millisecond every other second or so. It feels that it happens more often when there are audio intense moments, but it could also be that it's just more noticeable at those moments.

It happens on both HDMI channels (Apple TV and XBOX), as well as DTV (which I never watch, so that's not really an issue, but could help determining the problem).

The apps on Samsung works better, but after a while the clipping sound appears. On the apps it occurs sometimes and sometimes not, compared to the Apple TV and XBOX where it happens all the time steadily.

When I connect the optical cable to my XBOX everything sounds perfect and there is no clipping whatsoever. 

Also analogue works perfectly with the amp.

All the suggestions I've read mostly focused on changing the Digital Output Audio Format to PCM, which I've tried with no luck.

I've tried factory resetting the TV which didn't do anything.

The manual for my amp says:

The digital inputs are capable of handling up to 24bit / 192 kHz audio signal in PCM-format. check your source signal type to make sure it is in the right format.

Are there any settings I'm missing on my TV to set this up properly? Does 24bit / 192kHz mean anything that I should change in the setup?

Here is my setup:

TV: The Frame 2019 49" (QE49LS03RAU) – 2 months old

Amp: NAD Amp1 (NADAMP1BK) connected via the optical input (D1 for TV use) with a new optical cable (ARGCL1OPT1,0) – both bought 1 week ago

Stereo system 2:1

HDMI 1: Apple TV4 connected with new Premium HDMI cable from Deltaco

I've tried all the different audio settings (Stereo / Dolby Digital, and forcing 16bit) which doesn't change anything

HDMI 2: XBOX One S connected with the in-the-box HDMI cable – 2 weeks old

Tried Stereo Uncompressed and Bitstream, neither changed anything. 

Worth noting is that the TV don't recognize my amp correctly, it instead sets it up as a Denon. 

When it doesn't want to set the amp up and I manually have to say which it is I can choose Nad Amp1, but the remote won't work then and it didn't have any any other affect on the audio.

124 REPLIES 124
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

I found a HDMI-Arc to Optical converter which seems to still be able to control the volume. 

Proster HDMI Audio Extractor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Extractor-Converter-Support-Digital-Black/dp/B07CWMRG2C

Seems like a better option than a D/A converter, maybe I will try that if it doesn't work out tomorrow. 

0 Likes
SuperManders
First Poster
Options

I actually ordered one of these myself this morning, to have a second solution

https://cdn.cdon.com/media-dynamic/images/product/homeandgarden/hemtrdgrd/image562/hdmi_audio_extrac... 

0 Likes
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

The technician brought a Samsung soundbar and connected it via optical cable, same cord that I used. 
The soundbar did actually work with no stuttering at all, leaving us with some compability error with my existing setup. There's no warranty for compability issues so I can't return it. 

I ordered the Proster HDMI Audio Extractor from Amazon and hopefully will have it shipped to me next week. 

Monographia
Journeyman
Options

So a quick update:

The Proster HDMI-Arc to Optical didn't do anything, still the same stuttering. 
I wasn't able to try digital to analogue, but in a turn of event I just remembered I had Bluetooth connection on my amplifier and was able to get a stutterfree sound out that way. 
This is still not optimal in any way and I need to connect every time, I'm not able to control volume and I can't really find a good sync of the video/audio – but it looks like this is the only option. 

Really disappointed of Samsung for how they have implemented audio out, seems really janky if it's not their own products. 

0 Likes
ulfebbe
Apprentice
Options

I have similar setup (The Frame 2019 65" and NAD Amp1 connected with optical cable) and similar problems with audio. I use only Samsung apps streaming with wifi. The apps I use are SVTplay, youtube, viaplay TV4play and Netflix. 

Sometimes the sound is ok the first 10 minutes or so. I have found that if the sound goes bad I go in to the advanced settings audio and set it to dolby digital -no sound-  and then back to PCM then the sound can be ok for more than 1 hour or so.

ulfebbe
Apprentice
Options

Is this problem with NAD Amp1 amplifier only? Has anyone tested The Frame with Yamaha WXA-50? Or any other amplifier?

0 Likes
clumb
Explorer
Options

Hi there, 

i can confirm this issue repeats on my new QE65Q70RAT linked up to a new Arcam SA20 via optical cable, both on last software, PCM audio etc...

It happens with both hooked up SetTop Cable and built-in SAT receiver signal...but funny enough does not happen using Netflix app or AppleTV app but also jitters with Youtube app.

Looks like a software issue from my persepctive. I also do have the Prozor HDMI ARC audio connector plugged inbetween my SetTopBox and the TV and - if i take the optical signal from the Prozor - no jitters, if via TV - jitters. Thinking about this might be linked to some content protection stuff ?

That said - SAMSUNG do something....

I will now try to figure if i can put the Prozor and get HDMI audio out of the TV and extract optical audio from all TV sources there - maybe that´s a workaround?

Cheers, clumb

0 Likes
SuperManders
First Poster
Options
Sound through Hdmi splitter and HDMI Arc gave low volume, but the upgraded Argon nanodac did do the trick for me. Thanks to Hifi Klubben.
0 Likes
clumb
Explorer
Options

Found a solution...upgrade frimware for my Arcam SA20 to enable PLL Width support....and it works perfect.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.esstech.com/index.php/download_file/...

Ken12
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with The Frame Samsung TV. I have an Arcam hi end receiver. With the digital optical setting , it sounds great for about 20 minutes or so until the clipping begins, usually about every 7-8seconds. I purchased another one connect box to no avail. I then purchased a blue ray player with a digital coaxial port. Fortunately my amplifier also has a digital coaxial port. There is no clipping with the digital coaxial connection. I can use youtube, netflix and all the other apps with no problem. The only limitation is with the app Met Opera on demand where  I am can only use the TV speakers to avoid clipping.

0 Likes