Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced an issue with their TV blinking or flickering when the picture transitions from dark to light?

(Topic created on: 12-07-2019 08:24 AM)
pickles4uk
First Poster
Options

I've noticed through all sources; aerial, hdmi or just the in built apps, the picture will "blink" for half a second after transitioning from dark to light. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's a daily problem. I've tried unplugging everything, but it still does it. Samsung claim they've never encountered anything like it. Below are some video clips of what it looks like. I've had to slow it down so the camera could pick it up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lOP4o6Emn4QoLkJG_lb3RX0xE5Sb7YOO/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jV4fq1NYz93Hvcy4Qna69rYfxr4pqhon/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @pickles4uk 

We're not able to open the links you've sent we're afraid. Let's start with some basic troubleshooting though. Could we take the model code and software version of your TV? Go to Home > Settings > Support > About This TV.

0 Likes
ladders
First Poster
Options

I think I have the same problem! Have you got the video at normal speed? Its always when its a dimly lit scene. Noticed it a lot when watching Chernobyl 

0 Likes
pickles4uk
First Poster
Options

Hey,

Yeah, I noticed it a lot when watching Chernobyl among other things. Below is a link to a video at normal speed. The camera doesn't pick it up as well, but you can see there's something going on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R5Rl5py-x3Pf_Itv4gwuunmIfLv2TXfE

Have you spoken to Samsung about it? What TV model do you have?

0 Likes
ladders
First Poster
Options

Yep the same thing happens to me!

when watching programmes with light I don’t see it. I turned the backlight from 50 to 40 to see if that does anything.

50NU7020.

You?

0 Likes
pickles4uk
First Poster
Options
Yep, mine is the 50NU7020. If the screen stays light then I don't see it, it's only if it gets darker and transitions quickly between dark and light.

I've been dealing with it for 3 months. Spoke to Samsung as it's still in warranty and they changed the screen, but it still happened so they changed the circuit board, but it still happened. They then took it away for a week, but claimed they couldn't see the flicker and that there is no fault. They just keep asking for more videos of the flicker to prove it.

They say they haven't had anyone else claim of this issue so the fact you're seeing it and it's the same model is a real comfort. I get the feeling they think I'm seeing things. I'm trying to get a replacement TV or a refund. I'm going to link to this post next time I email them.
0 Likes
ladders
First Poster
Options

Yeah I messaged them originally at the end of May. Since I reduced the backlight I don’t think I’ve seen it since. 

Im keeping an eye on it for the next few days as they want to call me back

0 Likes
pickles4uk
First Poster
Options
I've just checked my backlight level and it's on 42 so I doubt there'd be much point me trying that. I've been through every other option in the menu, unplugged hdmi cables, switched the power cable. Nothing seems to prevent it, so if you're having the same problem maybe it's a more complex issue.
0 Likes
ladders
First Poster
Options

Did you get any fix?

I had Samsung ring me and reset all settings which worked for 2 days then came back. I’ve turned digital clean view to low and it works better but still notice now and again. 

On the call we did a video and they couldn’t see the flicker grrr. 

0 Likes
pickles4uk
First Poster
Options

After sending several videos to Samsung they eventually said they needed one of their technicians to see the flicker in person.

someone came over and I unplugged everything from the back of the TV (to show there was no interference) and then went through videos using the built in YouTube app. They witnessed the flicker on several occasions, but couldn’t figure out what was causing it. Samsung then contacted me to say their technicians couldn’t identify the cause of the fault and so they are giving me a refund for the TV.

0 Likes