Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR+ mode

(Topic created on: 30-04-2019 09:02 AM)
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi all , I've tried the hdr+ setting on my ue49mu6500 TV and when watching sky hd the picture goes dim , is that what it does or does the TV need setting up again but with hdr+ turned on? Thanks 

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
rickatk
Explorer
Options

@Andrew28 wrote:

How can you set up dynamic and HDR+ mode at the same time? It only allows One or another on the Samsung 6290. Thanks 

Selecting HDR+ mode is an option for applying HDR treatment to lower density content such as 1080P. This is a treatment designed to make regular HD broadcasts appear to be HDR. It is a form of upscaling. If you turn on the HDR+ setting it will override the typical Dynamic, Standard and Movie modes. 

Altnerativley, you can leave HDR+ turned off, set your TV to Dynamic and carry on. When your TV comes across and HDR source from say Netflix or  Prime TV,  it will automatically switch to HDR + and produce a real HDR image. Some have suggested that because HDR+ looks a little darker, the TV should always run in Dynamic for the best HDR image. That strategy is a user preference matter. 

CyberTod
Journeyman
Options

I tried HDR+ mode and did not like it at all. Completely unrealistic.

I tried also Dynamic mode. This one looks really well. Very vubrant, but still the fact that is uses cold colors makes me think it is not very realistic.

So at the moment I am using Standard, but I changed Contrast Enchancer to High which really improves the picture a lot - almost no difference in bright areas, improves visibility of dark areas, while at the same time the really dark places remain dark as they should be.

rickatk
Explorer
Options

@CyberTod wrote:

I tried HDR+ mode and did not like it at all. Completely unrealistic.

I tried also Dynamic mode. This one looks really well. Very vubrant, but still the fact that is uses cold colors makes me think it is not very realistic.

So at the moment I am using Standard, but I changed Contrast Enchancer to High which really improves the picture a lot - almost no difference in bright areas, improves visibility of dark areas, while at the same time the really dark places remain dark as they should be.

I agree. The selectable HDR+ seems to over saturate. “Dynamic” is usually for store display.  Going with “standard” and minor contrast adjustments as you have chosen will make the native HDR sources look really nice. I am coming from a 10 year old Samsung Plasma which had a deeper more high quality CRT look(fast) . So I am finding all these views on the new TV to be very vibrant.

Using the built in apps and for a good look at native HDR sources:

Check out the Tick on Prime. The colours really pop!

For a more subtle no less detailed image ....A series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix.

YouTube has a series of 4K and 8K demo videos. These are nice for looking at when doing fine tuning. Just search 4K or 8K.

Mike0902
Journeyman
Options

Actually Dynamic mode looks better if you change the Dynamic Contrast down to medium rather than high, it brings out far more detail in the dark areas than having it on high. I agree the colour looks too cold but you can adjust that by changing the White Balance from cool to standard. It's personal preference but I find that gives a dynamic vibrant picture which is comparable to the Standard picture setting with the Dynamic Contrast turned to high. Whatever mode you use turn the Digital Noise Reduction off to give a slightly sharper picture. I tried HDR+ for a month and had mixed views. It makes the picture soft so the sharpness needs adjusting to 50% while the contrast and backlight settings both need to be at maximum with the Dynamic Contrast setting turned off for the brightest picture. Turning HDR+ off made the picture brighter and far more vibrant. If you go to YouTube and watch 4K and 8K HDR content it looks awful with HDR+ on and switching it off makes a huge difference in picture quality. If you try adjusting the picture to the recommended settings by so called experts it looks awful. Why buy a TV with a nice bright panel and then have to sit in the dark to watch it properly? I take no notice of 'experts' whatever looks best to me is the way to go and should be for everyone as we all have different tastes .

Andrew28
Student
Options

Thanks Mike. It’s funny how we’re all talking about TVs and dark areas on a Samsung community site. I wonder how we all GOT here (no pun intended)... I am sure the answer starts with a G and ends with a T. Am I the only one who wiped my TV w/ a micro fiber towel about six times before episode 3? 

rickatk
Explorer
Options
Funny post well done!
0 Likes
rickatk
Explorer
Options
@Mike0902

All good and very valid points. I find tweaking the different settings more or less moves me closer or further from one of the presets. Nothing wrong with that but for me I don’t have the patience to do such fine turning.

Paying for calibration from the Geeks is fine until the next reset.

Sooo I settled in on Standard mode and definitely turned off the Eco settings and passed on the HDR+ upscaling.

0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

There is a thread somewhere that people posted their own picture setups.

I have 2 one for 4k and HDR  the other is for regular viewing 1080p 

If you have an xbox one or even find a calibration site and go through the stages it looks good.

Best thing is if you can change in the settings the colour to just blue/red/green

After I did this my TV stopped doing it's stupid dark mode fit in used to have. 

One tip turn off all the Eco settings and make sure to adjust each input source independently 

DRod
First Poster
Options
This really helped out my picture, thanks!
Had hdr+ on for 4 months now, never liked the color time and film like later it seemed to create.
Ethan8
Journeyman
Options

The HDR+ mode is there to enhance standard HD. I found by turning the gamma to -2 helped greatly resolve the horrible look of actors faces looking botched!