Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR mode for netflix

(Topic created on: 28-06-2019 12:34 PM)
frantic912
First Poster
Options

hello, i just bought NU7100 tv...let say i play netflix app, how suppose i to know HDR mode is running...before this on LG tv got notification HDR mode running for some movie...?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
TracyR
Options

When on Netflix, when you select the thing you want to watch, under the title it will say what format it will play in.

Whether it be: HD, HDR, 4K, etc. 

You'd also need to ensure your Netflix plan is set up for HDR/4K viewing. 

:sun-with-face:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

frantic912
First Poster
Options

yeah i know that....if movie support hdr, but how i suppose to know that currently movie is playing in hdr mode or normal mode...?i try play some movie that support HDR n dont, i cannot see the different

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
If you go to Settings > Picture > Expert Settings > HDR+ Mode > On, this will automatically provide an optimal HDR effect based on the video source.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Opinions vary on  HDR Plus, with some viewing it as a faux setting  though that may be more relevant to    non HDR content.   Whilst an enhancement  It may not always be  the most natural image and can lead to over saturisation of colours in some instances.    However best to test for your own prefereence.  Some information on general settings here Endgadget- Settings

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

HDR+ is a mode that will artificially convert SDR content to HDR. I do not recommend that setting as it is unnatural. Think of it as those "bass boost" audio or picture motion sharpening gimicks.

For the OP question. Once you start playing your HDR content, you can click on the "home" button to show the "smart hub". On Smart Hub navigate to the far left settings icon (second icon from the left). Than, above the smart hub, a bar will appear and it will display your current profiles for video, audio, game mode, ... There you will see your picture profile settings icon, and it will show an "HDR" text/image in it (if you are sucessfully watching in HDR).

I have a Q6FN, and it correctly switches to HDR mode when using Netflix, PLEX, ...

vansmak
First Poster
Options

THIS IS TRUE, HOWEVER IT DOES SHOW THE HDR ON SOME NETFLIX\AMAZON 4K CONTENT, BUT NOT OTHERS.  WHEN IT DOESNT SHOW THE HDR, EVEN THOUGH THE SHOW SAYS IT IS, THATS WHEN I WOULD LIKE TO STILL BE ABLE TO SEE RESOLUTION VIA INFO.  SORRY FOR ALL CAPS. 

Tricky01
First Poster
Options

@vansmak wrote:

THIS IS TRUE, HOWEVER IT DOES SHOW THE HDR ON SOME NETFLIX\AMAZON 4K CONTENT, BUT NOT OTHERS.  WHEN IT DOESNT SHOW THE HDR, EVEN THOUGH THE SHOW SAYS IT IS, THATS WHEN I WOULD LIKE TO STILL BE ABLE TO SEE RESOLUTION VIA INFO.  SORRY FOR ALL CAPS. 

I'm having exactly the same problem. I run netflix through my Samsung UHD Bluray player via a denon app. I have found two sources of information for HDR, and they are not consistent over different scenarios. The two sources of information for HDR on my Samsung q7fna are:

1. "i INFO" button on TV remote, shown in top right

2. Home button on TV remote, then to 'Quick settings' menu to far left but one (far left is "notifications")

Here are three scenarios, all with HDR+ set to off and all running from Samsung UHD player via denon app

A) UHD Bluray of the revenant

1 = "3840x2140 / 60p HDMI UHD COLOR" plus grey block with letters"HDR" and another grey block with letters "UHD"

2 = "Dynamic" with icon as three RINGS, with letters "HDR"

B) Netflix of stranger things, marked as HDR in netflix

1 = "HDMI UHD COLOR"

2= "Dynamic" with icon as three RINGS only

C) Netflix of our planet, marked as HDR in netflix

1 = "3840x2140 / 60p HDMI UHD COLOR" plus grey block with letters"HDR" and another grey block with letters "UHD"

2 = "Dynamic" with icon as three RINGS, with letters "HDR"

In the course of doing this, I think I've realised the problem. Netflix will mark an entire series as HDR, even if not all episodes / seasons are in HDR. So for stranger things, I'm only on episode 4 of first season. But I tried starting up an episode from series 2 (episode 7 I think), and the two different places to find HDR information were both shoeing it correctly (I.e. As per the revenant and our planet). I think it's netflix causing the confusion, not a problem with Samsung gear :smiling-face:

StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

I find that Money Heist is labelled as HDR but my Samsung QLED stays in regular Movie mode with HDR setting NOT applied, and is therefore dark.  Other HDR Netflix content like Umbrella Academy correctly switches my Samsung to its HDR settings.

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Ah - I now realise that although Money Heist is labelled HDR, it's actually only Series 3 & 4 that are in HDR.