Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Amplifier On/Off Power Control with Universal Remote Not Working

(Topic created on: 23-02-2020 07:42 PM)
the_akuma
Apprentice
Options

I've just purchased a new 7 series TV and I've hooked up an external amp, and gone through the Samsung universal remote set up so that it's volume is controlled with the Samsung remote... but the remote will not turn the amplifier on or off.

This is all the more frustrating because the only calibration / test performed when you set up the universal remote is to toggle the power on the amplifier!!!

I did try to get an answer through online chat with a Samsung representative but they told me to:

- Perform a reset of the remote by removing the batteries and pushing all the buttons

- Return the TV as faulty as it's within 28 days of purchase

Has anyone had any luck getting their universal remote to control the power toggle on an external amplifier?

If anyone knows a fix let me know! (and no I'm not returning the TV)

13 REPLIES 13
Horbo
Student
Options

Hi!

Any progress in this matter? I have the same problem here. I managed to configure my Sony amplifier to work with Samsung TV: audio is connected using optical cable, and I can set volume using tv remote. But after I turn on/off TV, aplifier isn't turning off/on at all. Basically I can't find any way to control amplifier's power, but as a step in configuration menu when testing the remote. Amplifier is an old device from Sony TA-FE310R.

the_akuma
Apprentice
Options

I've not had any luck turning the amp on with with the Samsung remote but I've ended up using a Logitech Hub to turn on the amp when I turn on the TV via a Smartthings trigger.

No response from Samsung.

0 Likes
Bundle
First Poster
Options

Hi I have a similar problem Samsun Q65. Universal remote paired up nicely with Sony SRT DB1070. I could never turn the amplifier on/off with the universal remote, but it did control the volume. However recently it stopped working and I cant really get it to work again. No matter how many times I pair it up again and set up from the begging, the volume control never comes a back. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

Cheers

Derpfy
First Poster
Options

Same issue here, the only way to power on a device is when pairing the universal remote with it. It's quite absurd, why would it test that in the first place when it doesn't allow to do it afterwards? pathetic

Horbo
Student
Options

After all I use a smart plug (tplink hs100) connected to SmartThings. I configured it in a way when if TV is turned on plug is turned on, and if turned off it's turned off :). Stupid as hell, but it works...

the_akuma
Apprentice
Options

yup, seems crazy but my logitech hub is doing to job admirably with a trigger

0 Likes
Kforce
Apprentice
Options

Just got a 2020 Samsung smart TV, hit the same issue. The TV has all these great universal remote capabilities, and it can power on/off the amp, but it will not do it! Please Samsung, you've built 99.5% of the features, but your missing the last  0.5% to make it useful!  Why??

emrec
First Poster
Options

It is same for me on 7 series samsung tv and sony amplifier. During setup power toggle works as expected but when I switch on/off the signal from remote controller to amplifier is not being sent. It is a simple bug, samsung please provide a fix for it.

ChadM21
First Poster
Options

The only way I was able to do it is when you go to new device through universal remote setting choose hooked up through home theater system in

stead of directly to TV. After that I was able to power down the entire system.

20200809_102154.jpg

0 Likes