Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earc on 2018 tv

(Topic created on: 23-10-2018 08:53 PM)
Yonisaa
Journeyman
Options

Samsung has planes to implement earc in 2018 line? , i know that you do not need to have hdmi 2.1 for this feature, like varible refrash rate (vrr)

Thanks. 

13 REPLIES 13
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Earc was intoduced as part of the HDMI 2.1 standard,  HDMI 2.1 specs .   HDMI forum has stated that some features can potentially be added to 2.0 devices via firmware upgrades.  Some 2018 Samsung models will  be compatible with  HDMI VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) -I gather premium and Mid Range models   Flat Panels on HDMI    Samsung Rolls out Freesync/VRR   However  no full HDMI 2.1 TV currently avaiilable as they will not have the required  chipset, which needs further development.  HDTV Test    

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

shay820
Apprentice
Options

samsung nu8000 will get the update ?

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@shay820 wrote:

samsung nu8000 will get the update ?

yes, the NU8000 should be included.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

shay820
Apprentice
Options

when the update will arive to nu8000?

Buckwilder
Pioneer
Options

Bump on this thread. E-ARC is possible as part of HDMI 2.0, as some features like VRR etc can and have been added. I sincerely hope my NU8000 will be updated via future FW update to include this feature.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Buckwilder wrote:

Bump on this thread. E-ARC is possible as part of HDMI 2.0, as some features like VRR etc can and have been added. I sincerely hope my NU8000 will be updated via future FW update to include this feature.

Doubt it very much. When you bought the tv it was not advertised as a feature. The reason I say this is because Samsung treat TV these days as throw item to update each year like their phones. So if you want earc I think you will have to buy a new telly, or get a media device like an Xbox, or shield, or Roku stick. I know Netflix Dolby atmos works on the Xbox or Microsoft laptop. I have a Nvidia shield which pass through all sound formats via HDMI to my surround sound demon receiver. 

Paul

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Here is some detailed  information on HD Guru from earlier this year  

https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-features-in-2019-samsung-lg-tvs-clarified/ 

Some test results here https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/tv/tests/inputs/hdmi-2-1 

Buckwilder
Pioneer
Options

My Xbox One X is plugged in to the TV directly in order to utilize Freesync/VRR. Meaning I have a fibre optic cable from the Xbox in to my receiver so I cannot do lossless audio. If eArc was available (which in theory is feasible on an HDMI 2.0 chipset), then I could remove my optical cable - and use the TV’s sound output to play lossless audio back to my receiver. Then it becomes a win/win for both audio and video. 

I hope Samsung obliges us.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Buckwilder wrote:

My Xbox One X is plugged in to the TV directly in order to utilize Freesync/VRR. Meaning I have a fibre optic cable from the Xbox in to my receiver so I cannot do lossless audio. If eArc was available (which in theory is feasible on an HDMI 2.0 chipset), then I could remove my optical cable - and use the TV’s sound output to play lossless audio back to my receiver. Then it becomes a win/win for both audio and video. 

I hope Samsung obliges us.

I doubt very much they will do that becaues why should they. It was not part of the spec, and Samsung give nothing away for free. I think they would much prefer you buy a new telly, more profit.

If all the manufacturers put a secfond HDMI out like on Bluray devices you would not need EARC.

Pity you want freesyn as if you plug the xbox direct to the reciever you would then get all the audio DTS X and Dolby Atmos, plus Netflix Dolby Atmos.

Paul

0 Likes