Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Digital Plus changes to PCM

(Topic created on: 09-02-2018 10:29 AM)
JaimeFdezCaro
Explorer
Options

Hello Samsung Community,

I have a SAMSUNG UE55MU7005TXXC and a LG SJ9 (supporting DD+ and ATMOS and connected throught HDMI ARC).

My problem is related with Dolby Digital Plus, let me explain it on detail:

- I select an emision with Dolby Digital Plus (Netflix or similar)

- I configure DD+ on Audio Menu and everything is OK now.

Problem start when I jump to another emission not supporting DD+:

- My TV changes to PCM Audio (I consider that it should jump to DD, if available, because is better quality and was the main preference on the system before DD+)

- When I go back to a DD+ emission then PCM is maintainted, not changing again to DD+ as was configured before, so I need to go to Audio Menu to configure DD+ again.

This erratic behaivour makes DD+ very unpleasant to use.

One possible firmware fix/solution is to change the Audio Menu from Current Selection:

- PCM

- DD

- DD+

- DTS HD

- DTS NEO 2.5

TO:

- PCM

- DOLBY/BITSTREAM (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos)

- DTS (HD, 2.5)

So if I select Dolby, the TV will choose automatically the best option available (DD or DD+) if emission and soundbar supports it.

41 REPLIES 41
CSD
First Poster
Options

I am having the same problem on my un49mu8000 using optical sound when I switch back to my Comcast box. When I watch a movie on the Amazon Prime app on the TV, or on my Apple TV, or on my Samsung blue-ray, the sound switches to Dolby just fine, but when I switch back to Comcast, the tv doesn’t detect Dolby and reverts to PCM. I have to manually switch it back. It seems that any change to another source causes it to lose the correct sound setting for the Comcast cable box. I haven’t had this problem on my other connected devices or with the TV apps. 

Wonka70
Apprentice
Options

That would work. Have Samsung listened?

0 Likes
LittleBro
Journeyman
Options

I just got a Samsung HW-K450/EN Soundbar  to go with my 49MU7002 TV. I'm a big Samsung fan, having 3 TVs and two phones prior to this sound bar, and I can say I am disappointed.

The TV is great, the sound bar is great but together, not so much. The fact that I have to manually select the best audio output from the TV is very tiresome. Even more, being both Samsung, I expected them to talk to each other with no problems and deal with this type of issues.

I really hope we get a software upgrade for the TV to deal with it.

0 Likes
LittleBro
Journeyman
Options

Bump

0 Likes
vangeliis
Pathfinder
Options

I bought an Nvidia Shield TV and connected it as follows:

Shield TV—>Reciever—>TV (hdmi arc).

Solved all audio problems.

0 Likes
johnyasis
Student
Options

I used to own a Samsung KU6500 and Hw-k950. I was really impressed with how these 2 work together seamlessly and so I upgraded to an NU8000 and a HW-N950 and my good impressions with Samsung is now down to the drain! First, a lot of audio features in NU8000 especially the DTS codec got removed. They also removed the DIVX support and now all I get is a PCM option for all the other apps like YouTube and Spotify. The sound quality even when listening to their flagship HW-N950 is totally disappointing I wished I just bought an LG TV! I totally don't get why they removed the DTS decoding! I was hoping at least they've left the bitstream output but no, it's just PCM! Come on Samsung! 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@johnyasis wrote:

I used to own a Samsung KU6500 and Hw-k950. I was really impressed with how these 2 work together seamlessly and so I upgraded to an NU8000 and a HW-N950 and my good impressions with Samsung is now down to the drain! First, a lot of audio features in NU8000 especially the DTS codec got removed. They also removed the DIVX support and now all I get is a PCM option for all the other apps like YouTube and Spotify. The sound quality even when listening to their flagship HW-N950 is totally disappointing I wished I just bought an LG TV! I totally don't get why they removed the DTS decoding! I was hoping at least they've left the bitstream output but no, it's just PCM! Come on Samsung! 

The lg has Atmos pass through from Netflix. Brilliant. 

Stinuz86
Student
Options

Dear Samsung,

I've been following this thread for over 6 months now. So far we are left completely in the dark and the only replies that are coming in are just new complains.

Can you please give us an update on this issue ?

- are you working on a solution / firmware update?

- when can we expect a solution

- this problem is very annoying and should always be addressed / fixed. You can't imagine how many times I went to the advanced sound settings and changed the bitstream to either DTS or Dolby digital. 

Kind regards,

Stijn 

LittleBro
Journeyman
Options

I don't really think they care since the new 2018 TV models don't even support DTS anymore, no matter the audio output.

0 Likes
johnyasis
Student
Options
Yeah. Such a dissapointment. If I only knew they did this to their 2018 models, I would have chosen LG. Ill find a way to sell this TV and warn all friends and family members to avoid Samsung TVs for now.
0 Likes