Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cropped Picture on Freeview UK

(Topic created on: 18-09-2018 10:03 AM)
Matty75
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I've got a UE49MU6200 and use Freeview to watch TV. I've noticed compared to the other TV's in the house that for some reason, the Samsung TV is cropping most of the SD channels and we're losing around 10% of the picture. HD channels are fine and in the settings we get the option to select 'Fit To Screen', but this is greyed out on SD channels. However, when we watch 4Music or tune in to QVC, the TV will automatically zoom out after a couple of seconds and the picture fits to screen, but in the settings menu, we cannot adjust the picture size as that function is greyed out. 

Is there any way I can stop the picture from automatically zooming in or is this something broadcasters are doing? I've disabled and enabled 'Auto Wide' which changes nothing. I've got the TV set to 'Standard 16:9'. I've even reset the TV and retuned the channels and nothing has worked. Any suggestions would be grateful. 

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Matty75 wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a UE49MU6200 and use Freeview to watch TV. I've noticed compared to the other TV's in the house that for some reason, the Samsung TV is cropping most of the SD channels and we're losing around 10% of the picture. HD channels are fine and in the settings we get the option to select 'Fit To Screen', but this is greyed out on SD channels. However, when we watch 4Music or tune in to QVC, the TV will automatically zoom out after a couple of seconds and the picture fits to screen, but in the settings menu, we cannot adjust the picture size as that function is greyed out. 

Is there any way I can stop the picture from automatically zooming in or is this something broadcasters are doing? I've disabled and enabled 'Auto Wide' which changes nothing. I've got the TV set to 'Standard 16:9'. I've even reset the TV and retuned the channels and nothing has worked. Any suggestions would be grateful. 

Hi @Matty75,  I don't use Freeview much but have done a quick search and do  get the cropped picture on some SD channels.  As far as I'm aware this happens with some older programs on any system, in the past Tv shows were made in the 4:3 aspect ratio , whilst 16:9 is the modern format for  TV though for most movies it is 21:9.

Fit To screen is greyed out but you should be able to use the Custom setting rather than 16:9 to Zoom out, notwithstanding likely some loss in quality.    With this setting you are able to Zoom and position, I'll include a bit of background information.

Aspect Ratios

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

MKav1972
Apprentice
Options

Model UE49KU6670. This model does the same & their is noway of changing the preset crop unless you can get access to the firmware and change the cropscan to 100%

The TV crops in standard channel but is full on HD channels.

The crop is excessive. I use the TV on Freesat mode and it is still the same.

It is the same when watching an app like NOW tv. so channel like sky sports are cropped with the results missing

ITV on the top right is cropped half onthe T on HD I get 3" before more screan before we get to the T of ITV.

Please Samsung fix this issue with a software upgrade. DEC 2019