Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 07-01-2020 06:03 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

I kinda have a "bad luck" with tvs, the first 4K model i owned was from Panasonic and got the same issue with 4K Series and Movies from Netflix because of a missing codec, and now THIS LOOOOOL

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

As far as I can ascertain pre 2020   8K TV processors  are  incapable of decoding YouTube 8K streaming videos, only demo content can  be displayed.

Whilst this article is 10 months old suggests  hardware limitations https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news/8k 

A bit about the 2020 8k QLED https://www.whathifi.com/advice/samsung-2020-tv-lineup-everything-you-need-to-know 

Thanks for the articles,from what i see is too early for 8K even for 2020 models so i'll stuck with my 2018 model and i will wait to see the future of 8K tvs, i still hope in Samsung giving us a sort of upgrade kit but...

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

There is still not a great deal of 8k content for 2020 Tv's.  though other than YouTube Samsung is working with Prime Video as detailed in the article.

The main selling point of the early 8k sets was that they use a machine-based upscaling engine to achieve resolution close to 8k, there should still  be a marked difference compared to 4k models.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

Hi.

I've literally just brought a 75Q950R 2019 TV from Samsung and from what I'm reading (by accident) this forum post is telling me that this model of TB will never support th AV-1 codec for streaming 8K content.  Is this correct?  

I'd suspect the majority of 8K content is likely to come from streaming services first, or certainly will be the content I consume the most for 8K as it's adopted... it would seem "fair" and "right" that the TV's sold as being 8K would actually support 8K content as and when it's available!  From my prospective Samsung, this is actually a serious mis-selling technique.  You can't advertise a TV to be 8K ready then in the small print (on a user community forum) tell us that due to a hardware restriction you can't stream 8K codec using AV-1, a soon to be widely adopted open source 8K codec).  This is feels very naughty to me and I'd like an official response.  

1. Will AV-1 codec won't be supported for 2018/2019 8K models

2. Why isn't this made clear during a purchasing decisions

3. Will you be updating your website to change the language you use (this isn't a true 8K experience)

I'll wait for the response, then will report Samsung to the UK Trading Standards as I feel this type of behavior from a vender is unacceptable.  You've taken my money and now my TV is null and void for future 8K content.

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@thutch wrote:

Hi.

I've literally just brought a 75Q950R 2019 TV from Samsung and from what I'm reading (by accident) this forum post is telling me that this model of TB will never support th AV-1 codec for streaming 8K content.  Is this correct?  

I'd suspect the majority of 8K content is likely to come from streaming services first, or certainly will be the content I consume the most for 8K as it's adopted... it would seem "fair" and "right" that the TV's sold as being 8K would actually support 8K content as and when it's available!  From my prospective Samsung, this is actually a serious mis-selling technique.  You can't advertise a TV to be 8K ready then in the small print (on a user community forum) tell us that due to a hardware restriction you can't stream 8K codec using AV-1, a soon to be widely adopted open source 8K codec).  This is feels very naughty to me and I'd like an official response.  

1. Will AV-1 codec won't be supported for 2018/2019 8K models

2. Why isn't this made clear during a purchasing decisions

3. Will you be updating your website to change the language you use (this isn't a true 8K experience)

I'll wait for the response, then will report Samsung to the UK Trading Standards as I feel this type of behavior from a vender is unacceptable.  You've taken my money and now my TV is null and void for future 8K content.

I've sent an Email to Samsung Support 2 weeks ago (italian one) they told me maybe in the future, so y'all need to contact the support as well via phone call or emails, i've told to them most of us are disappointed but one voice is not enough so maybe they will add this codec if more people get in touch with them, here you will not receive any answer, Samsung is not that bad they usually listen to people and these tvs are assembled to be upgraded via One Connect Box or software update

thutch
Navigator
Options
Thanks Noirdog, will contact support now with the same post.
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@thutch wrote:
Thanks Noirdog, will contact support now with the same post.

You're welcome, you know AV1 codec was the great "plus" on 2020 models so i feel like maybe they're waiting to add this on our "old" models because they need to sell 2020 models firstly, but this is just my supposition 

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

I've sent an Email to Samsung Support 2 weeks ago (italian one) they told me maybe in the future, so y'all  need to contact the support as well via phone call or emails, i've told to them most of us are disappointed but one voice is not enough so maybe they will add this codec if more people get in touch with them, here you woll not receive any answer

Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

Yes good point, I will do the same right now.  Seems like this would be an easy software update, and even if it requires new hardware they should swap our One Connect boxes with new ones like they did for HDMI 2.1.

Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

So I just chatted with support.  The peson I spoke with claims that 8k on YouTube is already enabled for Q900r users in Japan and that development is underway to roll this out elsewhere.  I asked several times if he was certain that we would get it and he was very clear that we would.  Has anyone else heard something similar? Or know any Q900r users in Japan who could confirm this?? :smiling-face: