Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get HDD recording to work on new Samsung TV!

(Topic created on: 08-12-2018 05:31 PM)
Kieran5
Student
Options

Hi,

I recently bought a new 49" curved TV - Model UE49NU7300KXXU. Series 7 I believe.

Not my first samsung TV, but the best one by miles, in terms of picture quality.

However there is one thing I cannot get working and thats the TV recording to USB HDD feature (Timeshift/Scheduled Recording etc). I am using a 1TB Western Digital "My Passport AV-TV" HDD, specifically for TV recording and it works perfectly on my other two 32" samsung models. When I plug it into the two smaller models and go to "Guide" and try to record it does a disk performance test and a format etc and tells me the feature is now ready to use. However when I plug it into my new TV it sees it and asks me do I want to browse it, which I can, but I cannot get the record feature in the guide to appear. When I pres spause on live TV it just says "Not available".

I have done a factory reset of the new TV and the software version is the most up to date at 1152.8. Still no joy.

On the HDD, I have formatted the drive, deleted the partition and created a new simple volume etc. I have formatted in NTFS, FAT etc and changed type from MBR to GPT etc. Still nothing. I'm beginning to think the TV doesn't have the feature to record, despite having one of the USB ports marked as a HDD port, like to two older TVs. I also notice there is no actual record button on my remote, which is on the other two models.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Regards,

Kieran.

14 REPLIES 14
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Kieran5 wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought a new 49" curved TV - Model UE49NU7300KXXU. Series 7 I believe.

Not my first samsung TV, but the best one by miles, in terms of picture quality.

However there is one thing I cannot get working and thats the TV recording to USB HDD feature (Timeshift/Scheduled Recording etc). I am using a 1TB Western Digital "My Passport AV-TV" HDD, specifically for TV recording and it works perfectly on my other two 32" samsung models. When I plug it into the two smaller models and go to "Guide" and try to record it does a disk performance test and a format etc and tells me the feature is now ready to use. However when I plug it into my new TV it sees it and asks me do I want to browse it, which I can, but I cannot get the record feature in the guide to appear. When I pres spause on live TV it just says "Not available".

I have done a factory reset of the new TV and the software version is the most up to date at 1152.8. Still no joy.

On the HDD, I have formatted the drive, deleted the partition and created a new simple volume etc. I have formatted in NTFS, FAT etc and changed type from MBR to GPT etc. Still nothing. I'm beginning to think the TV doesn't have the feature to record, despite having one of the USB ports marked as a HDD port, like to two older TVs. I also notice there is no actual record button on my remote, which is on the other two models.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Regards,

Kieran.

Think someone else asked this and I think you model does not support this function. It will play media files though.  The moderator @AntS could confirm this. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Yes unfortunately it seems the  recording to USB function is not available on your model, lack of REC button on remote a clue.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Tentpole
Apprentice
Options

I think I have the same problem. Bought a bottom-end UE43NU7020 this weekend from John Lewis. Having read it did support USB HDD recording I found that both JL and Samsung's specs said no. It's still in the unopened box so a clean exchange is this weekend's job...

...unless someone can tell me I'm wrong and the NU7020 range can do recording?

I am dissappointed as this is a pretty common feature on TVs now so it must have deliberately been left off. Very surprised that the 49in curved model does not support it but comparing specs it probably uses the same platform.

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @Tentpole. I've had confirmation that the NU7020 cannot record to an external USB hard drive or memory stick. 

0 Likes
Kieran5
Student
Options
Thanks guys for the feedback.

After my initial post last night, I done some digging and right there at the very bottom of the specs for the NU7300 on the Samsung website it had "Timeshift: N/A".

I had wrongly assumed it came on all Samsung TV's without checking first. Why they would leave it out beggars belief, as all the hardware is there to do it (Dual tuner, HDD USB port) so its just a software thing. I suppose its a way to charge a little extra for a TV with the feature maybe? I read some posts about buying a special Samsung "service remote" and being able to activate it, but this had risks I didn't want to take on a brand new TV.

I checked out the 49" NU7500 specs and it has "Yes" for Timeshift and Extended PVR. It also has the stand in the centre of the TV instead of the silly claws/feet that came on this one so happy with that. So Amazon said to send back the TV no problem for a full refund and I've ordered the NU7500 from John Lewis (Amazon wouldn't deliver that model to Northern Ireland unfortunately)

So anyway. Thanks again for all the feedback and hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Regards,
Kieran.
0 Likes
Tentpole
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, that is such a surprise. This is a smashing TV for only £329 and I really don't want to return it. They must have left that function off to make it less attractive than the higher models because there is no way this TV is not powerful enough. I took it to JL and even their expert said the 7 series should all record to HDD, take it home and try it. I just did and now they have an open box telly to take back! 

0 Likes
Tentpole
Apprentice
Options

I have just spent too much time refusing to be beaten. I managed to get into the service menu: power off, press the following remote buttons in sequence: Info, Menu, Mute, Power. The TV powers back on with the service menu. Go to MRT Options find Extended PVR which should show "off" and change it to "on". Power the TV back off and on again. I plugged in a small flash drive and when I bring up the TV Guide I now have the option to schedule a recording not just view the programme! , however it says no USB is connected. The TV did not ask me to test or format the drive so I guess it didn't like it. I will get a WD drive and try it out - see their outlet store for cheap prices by the way. Wish me luck!

0 Likes
Tentpole
Apprentice
Options

The service menu trick did not work, have returned it and bought an LG. I may have fooled the TV guide into giving me a "record" option but maybe the hardware is incapable after all.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tentpole wrote:

The service menu trick did not work, have returned it and bought an LG. I may have fooled the TV guide into giving me a "record" option but maybe the hardware is incapable after all.

I sent all Samsung tvs back because they all failed to do scheduled recording. They may have dual tuners but did not work.  Now have the c8 but it has only one tuners which for such an expensive telly is odd.