Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN and issues with HDR

(Topic created on: 22-03-2019 01:56 AM)
Pon11
Journeyman
Options

I have now been using my brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN for couple of weeks and only couple of days ago started to watch HDR content using the built in apps in the device. Almost immediately (especially when watching dark scenes of Ozark in Netflix) I noticed that there is something weird going on with every HDR content when the subtitles are enabled.

The problem is the following. Every time a subtitle appears on the screen, the device brightens up the details in the screen automatically as if it would try to automatically correct the brightness and contrast in the screen to match the bright light produced by the appearing subtitles. This is really annoying and makes watching of HDR content almost unwatchable. Non-HDR content does not have the same problem when subtitles are enabled and also if I turn off the subtitles completely the problem is gone also with HDR content. It should not however be the "fix" to just watch without subtitles as people including me do watch non-native content with subtitles.

Something I also tried to do was to set the colour of the subtitles to something else than white (currently yellow with black boxes around it) but the dynamic brightness / contrast adjustment is still there every time subtitles appear in the screen. Oh and just to be clear the latest firmware 1153 updated on 8 November.

I think there is also a similar kind of problem described in the topic linked below but I saw that discussion going nowhere so decided to open a new topic just for this problem: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Brand-new-55-Q9FN-terrible-panel-quality/td-p/577...

"...if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene"

Am I alone with this issue and is Samsung doing anything to correct this? I feel like I should be returning the device because I don't feel like a satisfied customer at the moment.

0 Likes
74 REPLIES 74
R1ckmister
Pioneer
Options

I just looked at this myself as installed a new 55 Q9FN, the app does something weird yet when I run the same thing from my Nvidia Shield looks perfect. 

Looks like the app is the culprit. 

0 Likes
NikoAW
First Poster
Options

that's because you have different image settings for HDMI in your TV. Try use the same settings and you'll see it's the same. It's not the app, it's the TV

0 Likes
R1ckmister
Pioneer
Options

@NikoAW wrote:

that's because you have different image settings for HDMI in your TV. Try use the same settings and you'll see it's the same. It's not the app, it's the TV

Maybe the settings you have are too high then? 🤷‍♂️ Looks absolutely fine to me though. 

0 Likes
lonegunner_
Journeyman
Options

No, it's the software problem, my child recently broke my tv, and thus on all the bad luck, i know can see the problem very well.

look at the video, and look when the subtitles appear what happens in the middle of the screen, and look when the screen has more light what happens without subtitles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92g5byas8yu6l3r/VID_20190318_215003.mp4?dl=0

0 Likes
samwit
Journeyman
Options

About built-in usb video player in NU8072, but problem is the same: Why they just can't add option like "Subtitle brightness" with few grays to select from? Instead there is some stupid "Border color" or something, which is totally useless...

0 Likes
NikoAW
First Poster
Options

@R1ckmister wrote:

@NikoAW wrote:

Maybe the settings you have are too high then? 🤷‍♂️ Looks absolutely fine to me though. 

Read this and then tell me it's a Netflix problem

0 Likes
Owlix
Apprentice
Options

From what I can tell, they need to give us the option to turn local dimming off. Then there would be no issue 

0 Likes
samwit
Journeyman
Options
Of course. But subtitles should work well with local dimming on too.
0 Likes
Owlix
Apprentice
Options

Local dimming is a crappy feature anyway. I'd turn it off on every single TV but Samsung don't allow you to. 

0 Likes
R1ckmister
Pioneer
Options

@Owlix wrote:

Local dimming is a crappy feature anyway. I'd turn it off on every single TV but Samsung don't allow you to. 

You literally have no idea what local dimming does then do you, especially on a FALD panel 😂

0 Likes