Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 27-06-2018 08:05 PM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
KA366
Journeyman
Options

Mine is already off - no impact. 

Try watching a dark Netflix show like ozark season 2 or the latest season of luke cage and turn subtitles on 

0 Likes
ncri
Explorer
Options

Yep, mine is off too. Subtitles are not even needed to see the issue...

0 Likes
MAILERS
Student
Options

Yep same problem here too. Even in a very dark room the dark scenes in Iron Fist on Netflix are almost impossible to see what’s actually on screen. I’m paying a monthly cover insurance for my Q9FN so will wait to see if next update sorts it or they can have it back. It’s a huge shame as the tv apart from this issue is superb.

0 Likes
MAILERS
Student
Options

If whilst watching HDR content you turn on contrast enhancer it helps a lot with dark scenes & you can see the detail. It’s not ideal but at least it makes it watchable.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MAILERS wrote:

If whilst watching HDR content you turn on contrast enhancer it helps a lot with dark scenes & you can see the detail. It’s not ideal but at least it makes it watchable.

I seen other people on these forums saying the same and it does seem to be a faulty panel. There was one who had his panel replaced and said it was now as he expected, very good. This a premium top of the range telly and it should wow you and if it does not, do not accept it and send it back. Most importantly report it as a fault to your retailers. I had a 65KS9500 and it was an excellent bright picture in HDR. I remember Star trek on Netflix was stunning, but it would not record, so Samsung exchanged it for the Q9F and what a horrible dull HDR picture. Banding blooming awful. I sent pics to Samsung, and they said it was within spec, but did agree to give me a full refund. Insist on getting a TV that will wow you not disappoint.

Paul

0 Likes
Ionut_1
Journeyman
Options

Even on youtube reviews about this tv I can clearly see that HDR looks dark specially when compared with LG and I didn't seen any reviewer pointing this out.

Hopefully a future update will fix this but very slim chances happening.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ionut_1 wrote:

Even on YouTube reviews about this tv I can clearly see that HDR looks dark specially when compared with LG and I didn't seen any reviewer pointing this out.

Hopefully a future update will fix this but very slim chances happening.

Odd as this a 2000 nit TV compared to the lg which is 900!  The KS was really good HDr, bright and the contrast was great. The q9f was ok with SDR but dull with HDR. In letter box it was like a shadow around the picture. Like looking through binoculars. Not good.

0 Likes
MAILERS
Student
Options

After doing a little research & just playing about with different HDR content is seems that it’s not just a Samsung issue if at all. It seems to be related to Netflix HDR & not the TVs. I was watching some HDR content on YouTube & it has the wow factor & pops from the screen as you would expect but not Netflix. If you google Netflix HDR too dark it seems to be a widespread problem with all TVs, Sony, LG, Samsung etc.

Also if you do a google search of the Netflix show ‘Ozark’ too dark, it’s apparently the way the director intended it to be.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MAILERS wrote:

After doing a little research & just playing about with different HDR content is seems that it’s not just a Samsung issue if at all. It seems to be related to Netflix HDR & not the TVs. I was watching some HDR content on YouTube & it has the wow factor & pops from the screen as you would expect but not Netflix. If you google Netflix HDR too dark it seems to be a widespread problem with all TVs, Sony, LG, Samsung etc.

Also if you do a google search of the Netflix show ‘Ozark’ too dark, it’s apparently the way the director intended it to be.

Like I said someone else reported the same issue and had the panel changed and said it fixed the issue and was now a great picture. My friend has a Hisense  and yes not as bright but the Netflix HDR still looks good.  On here someone said that the lg was not affected by this issue and I have seen this on a Q9F and I also can say it was awful.  SDR was good.  A telly at this price range should wow you,  and it should be the same from all sources. The only thing that can give a poor picture otherwise is poor internet bandwidth.  I have a 80 meg connection.  Again if this was a general problem with all TVs then I would think we would here a lot more about it and complaints against Netflix,  but it is not,  it looks like it is a known Samsung fault which again they will not admit to,  and only changing panels forthose who shout loudest. 

0 Likes
MAILERS
Student
Options

I understand what you are saying but as I said if you google the problem it is  a very widespread issue. If what you say is correct, there is a hell of a lot of people out there with bad panels!! I personally think HDR is still in its infancy & will improve with time but I will keep a close eye on the issue & return the tv if necessary.

0 Likes