Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 27-06-2018 08:05 PM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
IanSmith
Apprentice
Options

I loved my OLED & would have happily kept it for many years had it not suffered with burn in, the picture detail was insane in comparison with the Q9FN.

Back to the Q9FN I have reset the tv numerous times & have switched both the HDMI input on the one connect and HDMI cable I have also reset the virgin media V6 box three times & still have the same problem.

Even while watching recorded content if you pause the tv or rewind the programme when you try & play the programme the picture brakes up and stutters.

The whole screen is affected when the picture is scrambled being a digital signal it either works or it doesn't  so in theory if the programme plays normally as long as it isn't paused or rewound there's no reason for the picture to be completely scrambled & broken up along with freezing.

The picture doesn't even recover if left for five minutes to try and sort itself out?

The very same setup works fine on my old screen that's why I can't understand what's going on with the picture? 

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

FYI, a new firmware has been made available today; APR 24,2019 | ver 1251.0

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-qled-tv-q9fn-series

0 Likes
Emanuel9
First Poster
Options

Their firmware update descriptions/details are horrible, and don't ever seem to change between releases: 

"- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices"

No mention of addressing aggressive dimming or correcting picture quality in dark-scenes...

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

Well I've just been trying to apply the update & have had no luck at all. Tried 2 different memory sticks.. put it in a folder as instructed, and in the root of the memory stick & the TV says there's no update available when I tell it to look in the USB device. Weird. I wonder if they've mistakenly put up the wrong image & it doesn't apply to this model. 

0 Likes
Schwimmbo
Explorer
Options
I checked yesterday and my 55" Q9FN is updated to 1251 (probably did it automatically over internet on the TV itself).
Does this new firmware fix the changing brightness for you when you watch Netflix with subtitles?
I couldn't believe that my 2500 € set had this ridiculous problem (Netflix on my 10 yo Samsung 1080p set looked better!). But okay, this can happen (even if I wonder how this got past QA) and it is fixable in a firmware update. Samsung need to step up and fix this. They appear to be ignoring us, the customers who went to great lengths to purchase their """premium""" product. I feel seriously laughed at.
0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

Another one suffering from unacceptable panel quality on flagship q9fn

These shouldnt be passing quality control, but what do you expect from a shady company who was fined 5.5 million recently after being caught slowing down older mobile phones by firmware updates to try get the owners buy the latest model phones

If they do it with phones, they can do it with tvs and anything that gets 'firmware updates'

0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

Seems you have a lot of green tinted areas there on youtube app background that should be uniform grey

I have it on my q9fn a bit worse than urs, its terrible unacceptable panel quality / uniformity..

0 Likes
Cjs1
First Poster
Options
😉The 1260,8 firmware did’nt do ANY visible thing to DIMMING ISSUE WITH SUBTITLES AND LOW LIGTH, favorit channels is not working How Can that be happening. Please Samsung support why Can this still be an issue, ON A HIGH END TV, YOU ARE GETTING SO MUCH BAD TROLLING ON THE INTERNET IT IS BEGINNING TO BE BAD FOR BUISNESS I SE VERY MANY WHO WONT BY SAMSUNG ANY MORE BECUARSE YOU ARE DOENG ABSOLUT
NOTHING WITH THIS ISSUE
0 Likes
Windchester
First Poster
Options

@DarkKnight90UK ,

It sure sounds like you have the wrong gamma on. Try choose games bt.1.886 and not st.2084. I believe that will help you with the problem. 

0 Likes