Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 27-06-2018 08:05 PM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
If within the most the send it back. I had a replacement q9f for the ks9500 and it was dull on Netflix in hdr. It clouding around the screen and blooming all over. Samsung said it was within spec which was rubbish. They did give me a refund. So don't except that. It should wow you not disappoint.
Paul
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Meant to say within the month. 

0 Likes
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

So disappointed 😞 I really wanted to give Samsung/QLED a chance, but you would expect good quality control for the price of a car  

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
It could be just a faulty panel, and a replacement could work ok. I would think about a replacement though or refund and buy from richer sounds. They have been giving refunds for miss selling of the ks TVs.
Paul
0 Likes
KA366
Journeyman
Options

I have the exact same issue with my screen...

On dark scenes, it almost tries to overcompensate the black levels - but if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene.

What did you end up doing? Was the issue resolved?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@KA366 wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my screen...

On dark scenes, it almost tries to overcompensate the black levels - but if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene.

What did you end up doing? Was the issue resolved?

Report it to your retailer as a fault,  because it sounds like it. They are responsible under consumer law not the manufacturing. 

Samsung would probably say it's within spec!  I had the Q9F  as a replacement and was so dull,  with terrible light bleed and blooming. The hdr was duller than SDR. Samsung said that was within spec.  They did eventually give me a full refund. They replaced a Ks9500 because it would not do schedule recording,  which is another know fault. Pity as the tv was good apart from no iplayer 4k and Hlg,  no smart connect dongle,  couldn't record from the schedule and the customer support was useless.  I eventually got sorted by going to the uk Samsung CEO office. 

Paul 

ncri
Explorer
Options

I have the exact same effect. Netflix, Ozark. Unwatchable in certain scenes, the screen is almost pitch black. When I hit pause the picture brightens up. I think it's not a panel but software issue. Hope they fix it soon!

KA366
Journeyman
Options
I was starting to think I was the only one...
Not sure if this is even something that team is aware of. I’m also not even sure how they were able to bring such a high end tv to market with such a problem
0 Likes
ncri
Explorer
Options

I found this possibly related issue, which mine has too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRtHIZ_Wng

0 Likes