Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 06-12-2018 03:19 PM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options

Even a simple statement that they are aware of the issue would be much much better than total silence..

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Harry_P wrote:

I believe the only way to make a company listen to its customers is by making a noticeable difference in its revenue by not buing its products. That is, most probably most of us won't buy another Samsung TV (some may even return their current set if they can) and let people we know, know about it.

They will start listening to customer feedback at some point..

That is why after even a Q900R 8K TV which got sent back due yet again recording issues and the screen had lines all over it when I switched it on after a 3 weeks.  Went for the LG C8 and now I can see why it got best telly of 2018, and even better it sends through Dolby Atmos to my AV Receiver from Netflix. I had a q9f which was dull with Netflix HDR,  but C8 is not.  I funny as Netflix uses Dolby Vision and when it kicks the light goes up to 50 instead of 100 with HDR 10 but it still looks just as bright. Very impressed. 

0 Likes
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options
Well, OLED TV's have other issues like for example burn-in so you have to be careful. I do regret though not getting the C8 when I had the chance, which was much cheaper at the time as well. I prefer having to baby sit an OLED TV and enjoy it when watching it rather than the terrible DSE and brightness/luminance issues. I still believe though that if the Q9FN had (significantly) less DSE and no issues with the brightness on dark scenes, it would have been the perefect TV. Many ifs there though..
0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

The burn in, and the fact I have kids who can potentially leave it paused for an hour, is why I had to discount OLED. I might consider it when the Q9FN has had its run.. give it 10 years :winking-face:

I'm 95% happy with the Q9FN now that I've found settings that work for me for most content. Yes, there are issues here and there & in certain scenes, but overall for me it's pretty decent.

It's a shame, I think Samsung could make it awesome by fixing the issues in software.

0 Likes
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options

@endpoint101 do you watch sports? Have you noticed any DSE? For me screen uniformity (and DSE as a result) is currently the no1 issue.

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

@Harry_P wrote:

@endpoint101 do you watch sports? Have you noticed any DSE? For me screen uniformity (and DSE as a result) is currently the no1 issue.

I don't watch sports at all. I have seen a bit of DSE on light scenes in some shows/films, but it hasn't bothred me much. Maybe I'm used to it from the 10yr old Samsung the Q9FN replaced :winking-face:

0 Likes
PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options

On my screen I don't seem to have much DSE and I don't watch sports. My main concern is the Local Dimming issue, which maybe affects me more than you I guess because I'm not a native english speaker (hence I activate the subtitles as an help for when I don't understand what is being said) and they wreck havoc on the contrast.

0 Likes
Harry_P
Journeyman
Options

Same here @PepitoMucho .English is not my first language and thus I prefer having subtitles on most of the time and I experience the issue, especially in certain tv shows on Netflix. So to sum up my experience with the Q9FN thus far:

Gaming: 9.5/10

TV Shows: 8/10 (due to the local dimming issue)

Sports: 6/10 (DSE is quite noticeable)

So a TV with an average rating of 7.83 for my usage for which I paid around 3.5K EUR is simply not good enough.

if the price was around the 1.5k mark then I'd be kind of OK with those issues, but I paid a premium price to not have them.

0 Likes
PepitoMucho
Explorer
Options

I think you're being generous with the 8/10 rating for TV shows.

I wasn't disturbed with my previous TV (a Sony 8505 that belonged to my roomate - he left with it...). The blacks weren't as deep but at least the contrast wasn't yo-yoing like a madman.

6/10 at best.

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

Spotted a new issue the other night to do with how the FALD has issues in certain situations.. logged it here in a new thread; https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Downside-of-FALD-on-the-new-Q9FN-TVs/m-p/795682#M...