Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

(Topic created on: 17-11-2018 10:24 AM)
DarkKnight90UK
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I've just switched from a 49 MU7000 to a 55 Q9FN and was giddy with excitement about finally owning a top end TV. 

Unfortunately, I've either received a dud or there's an inherent problem with the tech; for HDR (and even SDR content), the screen goes /incredibly/ dark during dark scenes. We aren't talking perfect QLED blacks here; all detail is lost, UNLESS I leave a white menu screen up. 20180627_195814.jpg

20180627_195825.jpg

As you can see from the photos. Annoyingly, I'm also using an S9 to take the photos so it does a better job of amplifying the incoming light, but believe me when I say it's even worse than the TV is showing. I would estimate that the unlit picture is displaying at <10 nits. 

I ascribed this to either a problem with local dimming or eco mode, but modifying both of those settings made no difference. It's making using the tv for anything other than bright content unusable, and I didn't honestly expect a £3000 TV to be notably worse than a £700 TV. 

Please advise. 

P.S: Why have Samsung removed the ability to change audio languages when playing from a USB source? All of my movies are playing in Italian or Portuguese with no way to change it. 

168 REPLIES 168
ncri
Explorer
Options

Actually, yes, but it is hardly noticeable, the effect is very light, in fact so light it doesn't bother me at all. Not sure if it's because of this series or because of firmware updates. I would need to check back with Ozark. 

0 Likes
ncri
Explorer
Options

Ah, actually it is still quite noticeable with the hardcoded subs in ep 2, around 52:20, a very dark scene. 😞 So the problem is definitely still there.

0 Likes
kerbero
Explorer
Options

I have a two months old 65q9fn. Samsung replaced me the panel due to dse and banding. This new panel has the above mentioned issues when subtitles appear, image brigtness changes for a while. In addition, this new panel has problems for showing gray colors near to black. If I see test ire pattern at 5%, image goes black, even setting brigtness and gamma to max possible value. 

IMHO subtitles problems are due to firmware problems. The brightness issue I think is a panel problem. In any case this is frustrating for a 2400€ set.

0 Likes
Ainkurn
Explorer
Options

Hello there

What do you mean with the "brightness problem"?

I have the subtitle problem (brightness changes when subtitles appear). Do you mean this problem is a pannel issue?? Your previous TV didn't have this problem??

0 Likes
kerbero
Explorer
Options
To the brightness issue I refer to certain moments in which image goes near to black (dark gray), lossing image information. For example, if I use a 5% IRE pattern (https://youtu.be/Qi4Wy7vE8-o) my screen goes completly black. This fact affects to films, series, and games when dark grays are shown.

I tried to restore factory settings, to change the brightness, contrast, gamma, and local dimming config without success.
0 Likes
Ainkurn
Explorer
Options

Oh thanks for your answer

I don't have that problem

I have some scenes where the problem with subtitles is more perceptible

Go to Netflix. The punisher serie in HDR. First chapter of first season minute 20:00 when they are talking in the room

kerbero
Explorer
Options

This is what I see:

IMG_20181117_112241.jpg

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

@kerbero wrote:
To the brightness issue I refer to certain moments in which image goes near to black (dark gray), lossing image information. For example, if I use a 5% IRE pattern (https://youtu.be/Qi4Wy7vE8-o) my screen goes completly black. This fact affects to films, series, and games when dark grays are shown.

I tried to restore factory settings, to change the brightness, contrast, gamma, and local dimming config without success.

I tried that video on mine (55") and it displays correctly without going completely black. 

Bl: 36, Br: 0, Con: 50, Sh: 0, Col: 25, Tint: 0, Dig Cl: Auto, M+: Off, Loc Dim: Std, Cont En: Low, Col Tone: Std. Eco: off. Ambient: off.

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

@kerbero wrote:

This is what I see:

Looks like you took the picture off-axis, so I'd expect to see some problems.. did you do that to help show the problem you're seeing head on?

0 Likes
Ainkurn
Explorer
Options

@endpoint101 wrote:

@kerbero wrote:

This is what I see:

Looks like you took the picture off-axis, so I'd expect to see some problems.. did you do that to help show the problem you're seeing head on?

Hello endpoint. Did you see my other posts about que brightness with subtitles. Could you please confirm you have the problem aswell with hdr content?

0 Likes