Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new 2018 Q9FN Software woes

(Topic created on: 27-06-2018 07:05 PM)
BaxterTheDog
Student
Options

Apologies for the rant here on my first post, but I thought I'd find some where to document ownership experience of my Q9FN to date in the hope that some one from Samsung might see it and take the feedback (and do somthing other than tell me to factory reset my tv again).

I've had the tv over two months and have had the following:

Initially the HDMI CEC started dropping out so I'd get no audio on the AVR. This was in weeks 1-2 of setting up the TV and was resolved with a factory reset. Not somthing you expect to have to do so soon out of the box.

Then scheduled recordings stopped working. Live recordings fine, anything scheduled wouldn't happen.

Then the home button got flakey and intermittantly wouldn't respond.

Audio would intermittently stop on live tv only and wouldn't resume until I played some streaming app content and returned (or power cycled the tv).

Samsung support sent an engineer, they decided I needed a new one connect box. Then clearly promising to replace the one connect box on the phone. The second engineer a week later turned up with a circuit board instead, but no tool to be able to open up the one connect box so couldn't do anything anyway and went away again. I don't want reconditioned hardware as it is, so am speaking to the retailer now about total replacement (without really knowing if that will resolve my issue's or if this is down to ***** software).

I've done yet another factory reset today (oh the joy of entering all my settings and passwords all over again). That's restored the scheduled tv recording functionality for the moment.

One thing that's not resolved and I think is just inherently broken in the software is the tv guide search. Demo here:
https://youtu.be/kOLLYkB37e4

This is really not a brilliant first experience of Samsung products software and support. The hardware is beautiful, everything else...not so much.

2 REPLIES 2
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BaxterTheDog wrote:

Apologies for the rant here on my first post, but I thought I'd find some where to document ownership experience of my Q9FN to date in the hope that some one from Samsung might see it and take the feedback (and do somthing other than tell me to factory reset my tv again).

I've had the tv over two months and have had the following:

Initially the HDMI CEC started dropping out so I'd get no audio on the AVR. This was in weeks 1-2 of setting up the TV and was resolved with a factory reset. Not somthing you expect to have to do so soon out of the box.

Then scheduled recordings stopped working. Live recordings fine, anything scheduled wouldn't happen.

Then the home button got flakey and intermittantly wouldn't respond.

Audio would intermittently stop on live tv only and wouldn't resume until I played some streaming app content and returned (or power cycled the tv).

Samsung support sent an engineer, they decided I needed a new one connect box. Then clearly promising to replace the one connect box on the phone. The second engineer a week later turned up with a circuit board instead, but no tool to be able to open up the one connect box so couldn't do anything anyway and went away again. I don't want reconditioned hardware as it is, so am speaking to the retailer now about total replacement (without really knowing if that will resolve my issue's or if this is down to ***** software).

I've done yet another factory reset today (oh the joy of entering all my settings and passwords all over again). That's restored the scheduled tv recording functionality for the moment.

One thing that's not resolved and I think is just inherently broken in the software is the tv guide search. Demo here:
https://youtu.be/kOLLYkB37e4

This is really not a brilliant first experience of Samsung products software and support. The hardware is beautiful, everything else...not so much.

Sounds like a poorly telly and I think a replacement it is not unreasonable for such an expensive tv. 

As to the recordings it seems Samsung still have a problem with it. I had a ks9500 which would not do scheduled recording. It would work after a reset,  but only for a couple of weeks. Samsung replaced it with a q9f. Same problem,  and got a refund. Problem is with Samsung customer support,  as I only got sorted by contacting the Samsung uk CEO office. I will never buy another Samsung unless they start treating their customers better. The law says that after 2 attempts of repair you can ask for a refund or replacement. A tv should work from day 1 and like I said it does not sound well. 

Paul

BaxterTheDog
Student
Options

Interesting, sad that the recording seems to be such a widespread issue, and astonishing that is proliferating to new models and Samsung are doing seemingly nothing about it. Appalling really.

I've found an 'email the CEO' link, so I'll try that channel.

0 Likes