Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer witholding service

(Topic created on: 09-01-2018 09:09 AM)
Jmc99
First Poster
Options

BBC announced yesterday that as of 17 Oct I will no longer be able to receive BBC iPlayer.

Is this a software problem eith my TV or an unsubtle marketing ploy? 

23 REPLIES 23
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TheBreadman wrote:

Dear Ants,

its seems your “official statement” neglects to mention problems relating to 2016 models as well?  It also fails to answer any specific questions raised by your customers on the forum with regards to a technical solution to this problem that Samsung could effect?

I purchased my Samsung TV for the specific reason of it being a “Smart” TV, a function that no longer works for the main provider I use.  

I spent more money than I needed for the benefit of your “Smart” product, BBC iPlayer was shown on the packaging I believe.  The only option for me is to now spend more money on a suitable box that supports IPlayer. This is not acceptable.  As a company you have not done enough to ensure that this service continues and have disregarded the basics of customer care and loyalty. It is obvious from your statement that you intend to do nothing to assist customers with this issue.

My my official statement on this matter is this;

”I will not, under any circumstance, be purchasing another Samsung (or Sony, as I have the same problem with this manufacturer) product in the future.  I will attempt to sway anybody I know or meet who is thinking of purchasing a Samsung (or Sony) product into selecting a different manufacturer.”

Please pass this statement on to your CEO for acknowledgment,

thank you, 

TheBreadman

Do a search for refund on here and all the information on how to try for a refund for misrepresentation is there with all the links you need. Use the Which link to see if you have a case. Good luck, Paul

0 Likes
Salboh
Apprentice
Options

Am I missing something here?

In my understanding the decision to remove the BBC iPlayer app from Samsung older model TV's was not Samsung's but the BBC's as per my comment two months ago where I shared on this forum the reply I received from BBC when I complained. Please go back about 3-4 messages (on this thread)  to view.

Here's a quote from their response:

'As time goes by, the number of users accessing BBC iPlayer on older devices decreases, which makes it less financially justifiable to keep the service running and to provide technical support for those devices. We only make the decision to close apps on particular devices if user numbers are considerably low, and we're unable to update the app to the technical standard we've built it to.'

So it seems to me that BBC do not want to continue to update the app for older TV's as the usage number is low. In their own words they would much rather 'spend their money providing us with good service elsewhere' yadayadaya... So not sure if we can wholly blame Samsung if at all. 

Please se let me know if I've missed it completely.

Cheers,

Salboh

0 Likes
Pollowick
Journeyman
Options

Salboh,      I believe the responsibility is with both Samsung and the BBC.       The BBC for making changes for the sake of it - has anyone noticed any improvements in te service over the past month?    And Samsung for advertising the TV with iPlayer and then not forcing the BBC to continue providing service to the device.  Samsung will have a resonable level of understanding as to how many actual devices are still in use - and it will not be a "low number" as the BBC suggests - tens of thousands would be an under estimate and I would suggest it is in the hundreds of thousands given teh numbers of models affected.

Samsung have failed to respond adequately - they have not bothered to act on behalf of customers who purchased in good faith as they know quite a few will go and buy a new TV or DVD player with a large proportion being Samsung.

0 Likes
Aidensky
Apprentice
Options

In a sense it’s like Planned obsolescence of the Smart part of your tv. On my older 2013 smart tv I have been recieving announcement after announcement telling me that another app is no longer available to me and now my “Smart” tv is down to only 2 working smart apps (thankfully Netflix is still supported...for now) 

I don’t expect the tv to always be supported however I do feel it should be made clear to smart tv consumers that the smart part is somewhat temporary. I wasn’t aware when I bought my tv that I would eventually have to find alternate means of accessing smart features (apps) at further cost to myself and then again when my current device no longer supports specific apps. It’s like the smart part is what keeps users on an upgrade gravy train. To have working apps means spending more money every couple of years on new hardware