Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

BBC Iplayer not working

(Topic created on: 11-12-2019 06:04 PM)
Tiptail1
Apprentice
Options

I had a message on BBC iplayer today saying that I needed to update software in order to keep using the services. I looked at the relevant thread on the help forum. I've reset and updated the TV software but it's still not loading tv shows. Can anyone give me any pointers? I have a UE40F5300

94 REPLIES 94
tvquestion
Apprentice
Options

Even happier.  Just tried the link to samsung support: the phone line +44 (0)2079490416  goes dead.  The webchat - I'm no. 13 in queue. 

0 Likes
tvquestion
Apprentice
Options

Well, just got off webchat, which was not too long a wait.  However: the samsung rep was able to remedy the problem remotely and I signed in again, tested a couple of bbc iplayer programmes.  V happy. 

Then I suggested that I should switch the tv off and on again just to check.  Oh dear.  Back to the same problem again and the unfortunate rep said she'd have to escalate it. 

So I'm stuck waiting for updates like everyone else.  I left my phone no. for them to call me (!) and only got the standard samsung helpline to call.

devoncharlie
Apprentice
Options
Further to another couple of posters saying they'd had the issue fixed by remote management, I tried on and off to get onto webchat to do this....it took a few goes to even get into the queue at 13th position and 15 minutes to get a support representative...

Some other posters said the issue was fixed remotely but one said that turning the TV off and on again then just brought back the problem...

The representative I spoke to did not want to remotely try (whether this is because they were not trained to do so, or it's a model number issue was not clear. Was just told to check back on the website from time to time....asked if I could be emailed when the update was available, not possible apparently....(it ought to be...).

I asked if an official Samsung representative could post on this forum with an update and when the issue is resolved....again, no positive response they would, just 'thanks' for the suggestion....

A couple of quotes from the webchat :

"Thank you so much for waiting, . I appreciate the patience. Upon checking, this seems to be an on-going matter regarding the BBC app and it's update. Our support team is now working on it and will be releasing a new software version update on our link to have this resolved. As of the moment, we do not have any timeframe yet on when this will be but they are working double time to make it the soonest time possible. Just check our website from time to time as this may be uploaded or we will let you know once it is available. Your kind understanding for this matter is truly appreciated."

"Us supports as well are waiting for the updates. There is no tentative timeframe for now, but rest assured that our trained engineers are doing their best to fix the software as sooner as possible. We are only talking days here."
PeterPan99
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the report of your experience @devoncharlie.

It took me only about 10 mins to get from 12th in the queue to chat to an agent.  I was also told that the only option was to wait for the fix.  

"We have announcements that the H Series seems to have the same matter after we perform the workarounds on these kinds of queries that's why our support team is now working on it and will be releasing a new software version on our link to have this resolved."

I did get  some sympathy, 

"We are also looking forward to have these sorted out as we understand your sentiments about this on-going matter and as a customer myself, I would also not want that to be happening. Rest assured that our support team are working double time for a new software version of the TV to cope up with these updates. We will aim to let the customers that are affected know once this update is available. Thank you so much for your cooperation, I highly appreciate that. "

So I am back in the crowd, waiting for a solution.  Let's hope that it really is true that "We are only talking days here".

kopperdrake
Journeyman
Options

Update to my earlier post.

Having been through the webchat process and confirming that the player now worked, I've just booted up the app and it's no longer working! Back to the same problem as before - I can choose an episode, but when I play, the icon spins, then a scrambled square where the icon is, then the spinning icon, and so on for a while until it spits out its dummy and tells me it can't play that episode and to try another programme.

So it looks like it's a question of waiting for an update. Turning the TV off, then on again, does indeed nullify the temporary fix.

0 Likes
John1962
First Poster
Options

Just to add my twopennyworth. Same problemas others  (mine is on a UE40H64). I think that the new version of the software (in this case '2900' dated '2019-11-29') probably automatically downloaded on to the TV. But given the Samsung message and the fact that the iplayer programmes did not play, I did not realise this and wasted a lot of time trying to add the file using USB before I realised that the version was the same one.

The advice so far from Samsung as indicated on previous comments does not appaer to be accurate, and it is a while since the Samsung moderator has said anything. Can we expect that by tomorrow there will be some advice that works?

0 Likes
Elspeth
First Poster
Options
What did Asad say to help with problem?
0 Likes
John1962
First Poster
Options

Asad said this, or something like it,  to a few people on this thread-
"The message on your TV is appearing due to the security certificate expiring on the app. As you've already applied the latest software version, no further action is required from you on the TV. The error message will go away after a few days, and you'll have access to the app."
The error message may go away, but it does not seem likely that the underlying problem will go away. If the new version of the software works then why is it not working now?
Perhaps AsadM or another moderator could explain?

0 Likes
Topcat2
Apprentice
Options

So, I went into the main Samsung website and contacted their support people via an online Live Chat facility. Dead easy to use. Very prompt response and a very helpful "Denise" took me through a set of checks, then remotely accessed my telly, sorted out the problem (incomplete installation of latest software update) and now I have a fully working iPlayer app on my smart hub. 
just one of those things. 
I strongly commend the support system to you. Go to:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/tv-audio-video/

You'll get sorted out!

0 Likes
kopperdrake
Journeyman
Options

@Topcat2

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Because a few of us now have done exactly as you suggest, but find it's broken again when the telly is turned off, then on again.

0 Likes