Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Hoot37 wrote:

Thank you all for posting in this thread, it's really helped me put a good case to Crampton and Moore. Unfortunately I've received the following email from the manager this morning:

"

I have read all the notes and emails between you, our customer service team and Samsung customer support, I understand that all the trouble shooting, software updates and smart hub resets have been carried out, deeming the TV not to be faulty it is purely not offering you the level of storage you are wanting.

Therefore we are not able to offer you a refund or exchange. I can appreciate this will not be the answer you are looking for, however Samsung have said that to maintain the available memory, the “Auto Update” for the smart hub can be turned off or you may connect a USB flash drive or hard disk drive to the TV to have more available memory. We are quite happy to send you a high capacity USB in order to facilitate with the storage/ memory issues.

I appreciate your comments that you think the TV is not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act 2015 and that you feel you have been mis-sold this product, Please click on the link below which will take you directly to our website which clearly shows the full product description and specifications. http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/samsung-ue65nu7400-65-dynamic-crystal-colour-ultra-hd-certified-hd...

There is no mention of storage levels on ours or Samsung’s website so I cannot see how you think you have been mis-sold the product and as mentioned the TV is working perfectly well and is not faulty in any way, therefore we will not be issuing a refund or exchange."

I really don't know how to proceed now. I paid by PayPal and have had the TV over 6 months but under a year. 

I will add, be very careful buying from  what is called a third party, as you do not have the same 1974 consumer credit section 75 protection. This applies to PayPal, and Amazon. I found out the hard way. They normally give six protection. 

0 Likes
Hoot37
Apprentice
Options

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses! 

It has been over 6 months so paypal won't do anything.

I've put across my point that although there's no storage specification it is implied that it should still function as a smart TV, and that a USB will not fix this. The fact they ordered me a "high capacity usb" is hilarious.

It's obvious at this point that they know exactly what's happening but are just trying to avoid their legal obligations. 

I also told them that the Samsung support technician I spoke to had contacted head office who admitted there was a problem. 

Does anyone think an ombudsman or watchdog would be a good way to proceed? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Hoot37 wrote:

I've put across my point that although there's no storage specification it is implied that it should still function as a smart TV, and that a USB will not fix this. The fact they ordered me a "high capacity usb" is hilarious.

It's obvious at this point that they know exactly what's happening but are just trying to avoid their legal obligations. 

I also told them that the Samsung support technician I spoke to had contacted head office who admitted there was a problem. 

No they can not help, watchdog may raise awareness, if they get enough complaining. 

The FO is if you put a section 75 in and you appeal to them if need be. 

Here is a very good link which explains the 2015 consumer regs, and even better it has an online tool to draft a legal document to your retailer 

Fill it out with everything, and also quote and respond to their own reasons not to refund. Very important, put in their remedy, and explain why that will not work, as stated it only uses internal memory. You could say that by offering that it was a another lie and another misrepresentation because it would not work, and as they said they contacted Samsung, who would know that, they lied to you, again misrepresentation. Which I know at a small claims the court would not take kindly to. 

Also when you contact Samsung support it best to either record, and tell them, of live chat, and down load the chat as proof. 

Wow that was a long one, 

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Hoot37 wrote:

I forgot the link, 

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

0 Likes
Hoot37
Apprentice
Options

Thank you, 

I think this will have to be the next step. 

0 Likes
XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@Hoot37 wrote:

Thank you all for posting in this thread, it's really helped me put a good case to Crampton and Moore. Unfortunately I've received the following email from the manager this morning:

"

Therefore we are not able to offer you a refund or exchange. I can appreciate this will not be the answer you are looking for, however Samsung have said that to maintain the available memory, the “Auto Update” for the smart hub can be turned off or you may connect a USB flash drive or hard disk drive to the TV to have more available memory. We are quite happy to send you a high capacity USB in order to facilitate with the storage/ memory issues.

I really don't know how to proceed now. I paid by PayPal and have had the TV over 6 months but under a year. 

Sorry to hear of this but it doesn't surprise me. C&M refused to compensate another poster here and I would say that they and Currys are the absolute worst in resolving this issue.

From your quote above, turning off auto-update means the apps can't be updated as part of normal function, so that's not a solution. Attaching a USB drive doesn't solve anything because the core apps need *internal* storage to work and update. Samsung keep mentioning USB despite the method being debunked time and time again.

C&M are hiding behind Samsung's bull***** in order to avoid their obligations. As the other guy says, a small claims action should sort it. Retailers who have replaced and refunded TVs with this issue are John Lewis, Richer Sounds, AO, and Amazon. There may be others I'm not aware of.

Do you know exactly what needs to said on this issue to AO to get a refund as theyre not having any of it with me 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@XhakaLaca wrote:

Do you know exactly what needs to said on this issue to AO to get a refund as theyre not having any of it with me.

The poster who got a refund from AO is @ArtofMotion. It was back in March and it was a struggle, but the key is to get a third party approved repairer involved, appointed either by Samsung or the retailer. Once the repairer is convinced that there's no solution they'll do a report for Samsung and the retailer. Samsung will then issue an RMA number enabling the retailer to refund or exchange the TV. It's completely ridiculous as Samsung acknowledged the issue months ago but they keep pretending it doesn't exist, so each complaint has to start from scratch.

In the case of AO, they weren't helpful so @ArtofMotion got Samsung to arrange the repairer callout. In my case my retailer John Lewis arranged the repairer. The only retailer who has replaced TVs with this issue without needing a Samsung RMA number is Richer Sounds (hats off to them).

The conclusion of @ArtofMotion's process is on the following page:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Apps-storage-space-issue/td-p/808085/page/14

You could try messaging him for further information.

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

Crompton & Moore exchanged my TV in the end because when we moved into our new house in November I had purchased the TV, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer and Fridge Freezer on 12-months interest free credit via their preferred lender Hitachi.

After receiving a letter from C&M saying Samsung had told them there was no fault on the TV so they weren't going to do anything I opened a complaint with Hitachi Finance and surprise surprise got my new 2019 model within the week after paying £150 difference.

The moral is the story is don't give up, I took legal advice (as I have this on my house insurance) and was told if I didnt get any resolution they would take up my case with the retailer on the basis of breach of contract.

The bad guys in this are Samsung who use obfuscation and plausible deniability to wash their hands with their customers but I won.

XhakaLaca
Journeyman
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi all

I'm in a super good mood! The Samsung TV is being sent back and I'm getting a completely different model and Manufacture.

The technician company can't do anything to fix it, so I'm getting a new TV tomorrow morning and the ***** one picked up by my retailer. 

All I can say to you all is keep pushing all! Don't give in. I'm so happy to wash my hands of this problem 

Hi artofmotion I also purchased this TV from AO and have a samsung approved engineer booked to come out. Do you have any advice on what I should say or do on their visit or what the report should contain for samsung/ao to recognise theres no solution.

Thanks for any help.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@adw_uk wrote:

Crompton & Moore exchanged my TV in the end because when we moved into our new house in November I had purchased the TV, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer and Fridge Freezer on 12-months interest free credit via their preferred lender Hitachi.

After receiving a letter from C&M saying Samsung had told them there was no fault on the TV so they weren't going to do anything I opened a complaint with Hitachi Finance and surprise surprise got my new 2019 model within the week after paying £150 difference.

The moral is the story is don't give up, I took legal advice (as I have this on my house insurance) and was told if I didnt get any resolution they would take up my case with the retailer on the basis of breach of contract.

The bad guys in this are Samsung who use obfuscation and plausible deniability to wash their hands with their customers but I won.

Yep the 1974 consumer credit law is very strong, and with section 75, and it is even stronger on finance. That's why interest free credit, not from PayPal, gives so much protection as shown. It is even stronger if you pay the deposit of over £100 and rest on interest free credit, and don't pay early. 

One thing though with finance is when sign the agreement, the items become yours, and if there is a breach of the Contract, like you had and the finance company agree, you can insist that the finance company cancel the contract and pay all monies bacteria to you. Now the kicker here is you do not have to interact with the retailer at this point, and as the goods are legally yours, and it is the retailer who is in breach, you are not obligated to return any item's under that contract. Sometimes the finance company will ask that you return but you refuse, or just say you will speak once you receive the refund. Again it is not the retailer but finance company who pay you. 

That is why I think you got such a quick resolution, and I am surprised your legal advice did not mention that. I think the retailer were read the consequences if they let the finance company tell you this. You keep the tv and get a full refund. 

The reason I know is it happened to me over a tv a while back and that was with Hitachi finance. I paid £100 by credit card, and the rest interest free. I got a full refund of all monies, and kept the tv. The retailer was not happy and actually sent a man and a van round and threatened all sorts. Sent him packing, I informed the finance company what happened, and they told me not to worry they won't be back, and they never did come back. 

These companies will use law against us but we can fight back, and the more times we do, and the more it hurts them, the less they are likely to it. 

Could be useful if you could post you ref number so others having issues with C M can use it as further evidence against them. 

I love the 1974 credit consumer act. 

Paul