Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

That's right, the internal storage is not specified in any Samsung material. The figure of 4GB was given by random support people at Samsung. Their other TV ranges do have either 3GB or 4GB (eg NU8000) as confirmed by their owners on this and other forums.

The problem you may have if they never quoted a size then it is difficult to claim misrepresentation. This is why in hindsight you should write down what you want,  and ask the retailer if the tv meets the spec.  What with the poor scheduled recording,  dropping DTS support and the poor customer service from Samsung,  and their panels having all sorts of issues,  that might be why they are losing customers. 

Saying that,  when you buy a smart tv it is not unreasonable to expect it to have the specs to be able to run like a smart tv,  with sufficient memory to do that. By failing to inform you of the reduced ability then you could argue it is not fit for purpose,  and insist on a full refund. 

I not a legally trained but some thoughts. 

Paul

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Tony47 wrote:

That's right, the internal storage is not specified in any Samsung material. The figure of 4GB was given by random support people at Samsung. Their other TV ranges do have either 3GB or 4GB (eg NU8000) as confirmed by their owners on this and other forums.

The problem you may have if they never quoted a size then it is difficult to claim misrepresentation. This is why in hindsight you should write down what you want,  and ask the retailer if the tv meets the spec.  What with the poor scheduled recording,  dropping DTS support and the poor customer service from Samsung,  and their panels having all sorts of issues,  that might be why they are losing customers. 

Saying that,  when you buy a smart tv it is not unreasonable to expect it to have the specs to be able to run like a smart tv,  with sufficient memory to do that. By failing to inform you of the reduced ability then you could argue it is not fit for purpose,  and insist on a full refund. 

Paul

Agreed. The TV is sold as a smart TV, yet the built-in apps cannot be updated, therefore it's failed at the first hurdle and cannot be classified as a smart TV. As you say, it's not fit for purpose. We shouldn't need to have to specify things like storage as it's a reasonable assumption to make that the smart TV apps are able to update. Samsung wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. I think this is the basis on which good retailers such as Richer Sounds and AO have willingly refunded or replaced TVs with this problem in recent weeks. I hope to conclude my negotiations with John Lewis this week, and I'll report back with hopefully good news from them.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Tony47 wrote:

Paul

Agreed. The TV is sold as a smart TV, yet the built-in apps cannot be updated, therefore it's failed at the first hurdle and cannot be classified as a smart TV. As you say, it's not fit for purpose. We shouldn't need to have to specify things like storage as it's a reasonable assumption to make that the smart TV apps are able to update. Samsung wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. I think this is the basis on which good retailers such as Richer Sounds and AO have willingly refunded or replaced TVs with this problem in recent weeks. I hope to conclude my negotiations with John Lewis this week, and I'll report back with hopefully good news from them.

On the ks owners refund thread we found richer sounds was the best retailer dealing with issues.  But it was only when they lost an Alternative Dispute resolution that they gave refunds to all ks owners who asked. Curry's were the worst,  and just this week list a court case,  which found they were guilty of misrepresentation,  and the person was given off the cost of the tv,  plus expenses,  plus costs.  John Lewis have given refunds to some and not others,  depends on who you speak to. They were taken to court,  and they settled days before, with full refund,  and costs. 

Which has a very useful consumer help page with a letter template.  A link is on the first page of ks owners refunds thread. Also on ks owners refunds results thread you can see we have been successful in getting refunds for misrepresentation. 

What you need to show is its, ability to be a smart TV is seriously compromised,  and if you can show they have reduced the available memory,  and ask why. 

porterballs
Journeyman
Options

First post here! Got the 55 inch nu7400 and having the same app storage issue as everyone else! Called up AO today and explained the situation they transferred me over to Samsung who were useless! I was told to use a USB and get on with it basically. Buy they wouldnt understand the fundamental problem that I still can't update my apps on the TV as there isn't enough space to even do that, called AO back up and they have escalated it further with Samsung so I dont know what's going to happen for me, real shame as the TV is great but doesnt function as a smart TV.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, this is so disappointing to hear. You've been given the same rubbish response that Samsung have been dishing out for months. They're treating each case as if it's the first they've heard of it, rather than linking them together and adopting a more cohesive (and honest) approach. They'll probably tell AO that they're 'working on a firmware fix', with no timescale whatsoever.

AO have already done an exchange due to this issue (about two weeks ago) for someone on this thread, so they also should be fully aware of it.

0 Likes
porterballs
Journeyman
Options

The adviser I spoke to called up Samsung and then called me back! She was given the same advise about using a USB stick to download apps! Again ignoring the actual issue lol. I dont know if AO are aware of the amount of consumers being affected but I did say on the phone that it will be causing retailers alot of headaches! I'm supposed to be getting a call.back sometime tomorrow from AO to see what further correspondence they have with Samsung! And then see what they can do for me. Honestly be a shame to send it back, as much as I'm frustrated with the smart app side of things, it's a nice TV but as for Samsung's customer service, it's terrible.

0 Likes
discofizz
Explorer
Options

Interestingly I've just had it confirmed that the 2019 replacement for the NU7400, the catchily named RU7400, has 4Gb of internal memory for app storage. Samsung clearly know that 1Gb was an unworkable amount. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@discofizz wrote:

Interestingly I've just had it confirmed that the 2019 replacement for the NU7400, the catchily named RU7400, has 4Gb of internal memory for app storage. Samsung clearly know that 1Gb was an unworkable amount. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but confirmed by whom? If it was Samsung it may be totally bogus information. A few days ago a poster here did an online chat with a US retailer as the RU7400 was on display in his showroom. The poster asked the retailer to check how much space there was by going to app settings. The retailer said it was 2GB. That's still low but it would overcome the issue, and it may be that European models will have more.

0 Likes
discofizz
Explorer
Options

3.13Gb free on a UK model, so therefore 4Gb overall, confirmed by an owner. 

mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@discofizz wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic, but confirmed by whom? If it was Samsung it may be totally bogus information. A few days ago a poster here did an online chat with a US retailer as the RU7400 was on display in his showroom. The poster asked the retailer to check how much space there was by going to app settings. The retailer said it was 2GB. That's still low but it would overcome the issue, and it may be that European models will have more.

In hindsight, it isn't clear whether the US retailer I spoke to was referring to total or available space so it could well be 4GB total with 2GB available out-of-the-box. Regardless, I concur it's best to confirm any information with a 3rd party. Samsung seem uncertain (at best) about the specification of their own products.