Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

How long have you had your TV ?

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Purchased 8/12/18 so just over 4 months.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Steve_Roebuck wrote:

Purchased 8/12/18 so just over 4 months.

That's encouraging as my TV is also around 4 months old, bought from JL. Did you go via Samsung Support or just talk to Richer Sounds? As discussed earlier in the thread, there's no real point in going to Samsung as they have no solution, but my understanding is that they have to give permission to the retailer for the exchange and at least attempt to repair the TV. Is that right?

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

I have issues open with both, Samsung want to do a remote session (I am at work ATM so will do this tonight)

RS came straight back with " we're happy to offer an exchange for a like for like model or refund."

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Steve_Roebuck wrote:

Having the same issue here, been in touch with Richer Sounds who have offered me a swap out under Warranty just not sure what to go for as a replacement.....

Any advice options are.....

• LG 50UK6750PLD (would need Magic Remote as the wife likes Voice Control)
  • Panasonic TX55FX650B
  • LG 55UK6750PLD (If I can convince them to do it).

These are all in around the price I paid for the Samsung, so would be a straight(ish) swap as I dont really want to spend any more money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Steve

I have a Which account and I've looked up those models as they've all been reviewed. They're all "ok but no cigar", competent but unremarkable. They actually prefer the Samsung NU8000 range but a 55" is another £100 and you probably don't want another Samsung. 

An alternative is to go with LG but get one of their 'SuperUHD' range (SK model), which is highly regarded and they get 'Best Buy' ratings from Which. If you can go down an inch in screen size the LG 49SK8000PLB gets a very good write-up. It has a magic remote and Freesat as well as Freeview tuners.

A repeated issue with LG TVs, even top of the range, is that the EPG is slow to load and refresh. If you can live with that the SK range is worth a look. I'll be going for the 65" version when I exchange my TV.

Edit: I see that Richer Sounds only has the 49SK8100, not the SK8000, and that's another £100.00. It has slightly better colour handling but it might be better to get a refund and buy the SK8000 from Amazon as it's only around £498.00.

Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Cheers Tony for the reply, I dont think I can stretch to the £100+ extra needed for the LG so might stick with the standard LG 50 or 55. The 8000 Samsungs are also too much and I cannot see them swapping it on a like for like basis especially as they are showing low stock on the 8000 49".

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Problem with Amazon is, I like the 6 years warranty that RS supply

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

apparently the, "the main board has been superseded" line was BS given to me by the rep I was talking to, the Televideo engineer arrived with exactly the same board and said it waste of time for him to even fit it and he would refer back to Samsung.

Had a text today, "your repair has been cancelled call 0330 726 7864 for further assistance"

I'm now back on the phone to Samsung and they are saying that a firmware update is imminent to fix this issue but cant tell me when.

I've been transferred Graham in Customer Solutions as Tech Support cant do anything other than tell me that in the future it will be fixed and having spoken to him he is going to investigate and come back to me before 8pm.

Graham has called back and is going to start his own investigation.

bIOforger
Navigator
Options

"imminent"  😂

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@adw_uk wrote:

apparently the, "the main board has been superseded" line was BS given to me by the rep I was talking to, the Televideo engineer arrived with exactly the same board and said it waste of time for him to even fit it and he would refer back to Samsung.

Had a text today, "your repair has been cancelled call 0330 726 7864 for further assistance"

I'm now back on the phone to Samsung and they are saying that a firmware update is imminent to fix this issue but cant tell me when.

I've been transferred Graham in Customer Solutions as Tech Support cant do anything other than tell me that in the future it will be fixed and having spoken to him he is going to investigate and come back to me before 8pm.

Graham has called back and is going to start his own investigation.

I don't know why Samsung Support are continuing this nonsense about firmware. Someone a few days ago here said that a firmware update was expected in 5-7 days, according to support, which would make this Wednesday the deadline.  

In any case, a firmware update can't magic up additional GB of space out of thin air. The TVs with the issue have a 1GB board fitted, which is way too small. Other Samsung TVs across all ranges have 4GB boards. That's the cause of the problem, as we know. Let's hope the penny drops with Graham!

0 Likes