Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Oh dear. We kind of knew that would happen but at least your guy actually swapped the board, proving that the original one wasn't faulty and that these boards simply have insufficient storage. It also shows that there's no point in waiting for a firmware update. On to the next phase  of resistance!

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Tony, what do you mean theres no point in waiting for a firmware update? Thats the only way this issue could be potentially be fixed, by allowing default apps to be removed, or fixing bugs (which is more likely) bar changing to a different model of TV, which isn't an option for alot of people if they've owned their current 7series TV for a while. Unless you mean from Sammy's side they wont be doing anything about a fware update as they still havent accepted that theres an issue.

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@bIOforger wrote:

Tony, what do you mean theres no point in waiting for a firmware update? Thats the only way this issue could be potentially be fixed, by allowing default apps to be removed, or fixing bugs (which is more likely) bar changing to a different model of TV, which isn't an option for alot of people if they've owned their current 7series TV for a while. Unless you mean from Sammy's side they wont be doing anything about a fware update as they still havent accepted that theres an issue.

Tony may have different reasoning, but in my case I was told the TV has 4GB on board and the firmware update would fix the issue in the sense that we'd be able to see and use that rather than just the presently visible 1GB. Now that it's all but established there is only 1GB on board, a firmware update can't fix that.

However, as you've said, the option to delete pre-installed apps is the least Samsung could do in cases where a replacement isn't possible for whatever reason.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@mdazza wrote:

@bIOforger wrote:

Tony may have different reasoning, but in my case I was told the TV has 4GB on board and the firmware update would fix the issue in the sense that we'd be able to see and use that rather than just the presently visible 1GB. Now that it's all but established there is only 1GB on board, a firmware update can't fix that.

However, as you've said, the option to delete pre-installed apps is the least Samsung could do in cases where a replacement isn't possible for whatever reason.

The highlighted sentence above is exactly what I mean.

Having a firmware update which allows the built-in apps to be deleted is at best a workaround and I can't see Samsung doing it. I think those of us still covered by warranties and concerned/annoyed by the issue must now push for replacement TVs. 

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi all

I'm in a super good mood! The Samsung TV is being sent back and I'm getting a completely different model and Manufacture.

The technician company can't do anything to fix it, so I'm getting a new TV tomorrow morning and the ***** one picked up by my retailer. 

All I can say to you all is keep pushing all! Don't give in. I'm so happy to wash my hands of this problem 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Excellent news!

Just being nosy, but what TV have you gone for?

Also, the exchange has happened very quickly - who pushed it through, your retailer or Samsung? I believe you're with Richer Sounds?

Cheers.

ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hiya

You're not being nosy! I'm happy to say what I've got.

Well, it wasn't an easy choice, as I really wanted a TV with HDR10+, not just HDR10. I wasn't willing to give Samsung anymore money regarding this issue, so I went for the Panasonic TX-55FX700B - 55". 

A much better TV than the NU7400 regarding the HDR, and apparently, if you spend a little time tweaking the picture settings, you can get an amzing display. Cost a bit more than the NU7400, but AO - my retailer, not Richer Sounds, credited me the TV and gave me money off the remaining balance. 

All that effort calling, complaining etc, was totally worth it. What will you do Tony with yours now? To anyone reading this, I urge you to replace your set as soon as possible. Samsung are not acknowledging this issue, and it's a massive blunder of their behalf.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, great to hear that AO looked after you. Nice choice of TV too.

I'll certainly be exchanging my TV and I'm resigned to having to fight with support again, just like when I first reported the issue last December. However, this time things have moved on and we know there's no point in swapping the board or waiting for a firmware update because the memory isn't there in the first place, so I'll push for a straight exchange. It will be interesting to see how supportive John Lewis are this time. Both AO and Richer Sounds have now proved themselves, so I'll mention that to JL if they're reluctant to help.

Like you I'm loath to give Samsung any more of my cash due to the utter stupidity of this issue and the way they've handled it, so I'll probably go back to an LG. I liked the image quality of my last LG but found the OS a bit slow and clunky, but I believe it's much better now. I'm torn between waiting a couple of weeks to see how prices go after the new ranges come out, or going for it now. I'll see how I feel over the weekend!

0 Likes
Rabbak
First Poster
Options

Almost same story here, but I was quick to act.

I bought my new Samsung nu7400 from John Lewsi, and on the day of delivery, unpacked the tv, assembled it, plugged it in and as soon as I went into the apps page, the TV prompted me that it cannot perform any updates due to lack of storage space! 

Which showed only 7% available. 

I was left stunned as how is that possible on a TV that is being turned on for the first time ever!

Googled the issue and indeed I found many with the same exact problem.

So I contacted Samsung, during the first chat they acknowledged the issue as some models are affected, and suggested I exchange it from the retailer as it is still during the exchange period.

During another call with Samsung they changed their words and said the TV is fine but they will send an engineer, who did come and acknowledged the problem and also suggested I exchange it.

John Lewis on the other hand, were clueless about the issue and claimed they never heard of it (although orevipre posts online proves other wise). They did exchange my TV eventually and thankfully. 

But I went for the same model again, which proved a mistake!

As it seems the problem is in all the nu7400 or nu7500 models.

Samsung called and said their engineers will guide me through set up and help me fix it on the phone.

I called and their advise was, connect a usb device and the TV will update and then will show storage correctly.

She also confirmed that the NU7400 model should have 4 GB of internal storage. Even though it showed only 1GB.

I am stuck now as John Lewis already changed my TV and Samsung just giving me weird pointless advise on how to deal with an issue that they caused and have no clue about!

Please help

0 Likes
MarkWilliam1
First Poster
Options

Well I am less and less and less impressed with Samsung.  Now through their incompetence they have forced me to create a new profile in the community.  Good work.  Who knows why I cannot log in with my old username or email?  It keeps forcing me to make a new profile, but of course I cannot use my original name or email AS IT IS IN USE!!!!

As I have said previously, they broke my wife's tv by remote control with their *****ic firmware/app updates that consumed all available memory on her 2015 model TV.  With no apps installed there is 0 GB available even after a full reset.  It is a shame that I did not notice the memory stayed at 0GB as I deleted the old apps, but they would eventually have stopped working for lack of updates anyway.

I just checked on my own TV  (ue55mu6470u) and it has 1.4 GB used (lots of installed apps) and 3 GB or 68% available.  So hopefully I avoid this problem, but wonder about turning off the autoupdate, as it seems more like autodestruct.

I have to seriously wonder about a company that obviously sent out firmware updates that destroyed both old and apparently new TVs still under warrantee. I would not put it past them to have wrecked the old ones on purpose to force people to upgrade, but perhaps it was just stupidity.

If I end up in the same boat with my new TV it will be the last Samsung product.

0 Likes