Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

So Samsung are expecting a potential customer to do technical research on whether the TV is fit for purpose and has enough memory to run the built-in apps that Samsung themselves have installed? What utter nonsense. :thinking-face:

GrahamW
Journeyman
Options

I have just requested a replacement from Argos, I'm sure they will try and fob me off to Samsung again like last time. We should get Watchdog on the case :thinking-face: haha.

0 Likes
GrahamW
Journeyman
Options

Ok, so argos have been back and have stated:-

All of our products come with a 12 month guarantee on the provision you are able to provide us with a valid receipt or order number for the purchase.

It is the customer’s responsibility to prove that the fault on the item is due to a manufacturing defect after the first 6 months of purchase.

Please provide us with an independent report from a qualified engineer stating the nature of the fault.

With this in mind, the report should have a clear display of the engineers contact details and if it’s found to be a manufacturing fault then we’ll be happy to reimburse you for the cost of this.

Once you’ve done this I’ll be able look into this matter further for you.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this, will it help and who do you contact to make these reports?

Thanks

Graham

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I don't think anyone has had to organise their own independent report before. Usually the retailer uses one of their third party tech support firms to do it. That was the case with me and John Lewis. They used a firm called Correct Service.

Are you anywhere near Nottingham? If so you could try them, although in my case they didn't even bother to visit me as I convinced them by email and phone that it was pointless. They contacted Samsung and got nowhere, so they advised John Lewis to put pressure on Samsung to issue a returns number, which they eventually did. After that Samsung collected the TV and gave me a refund.

This was back in April 2019, so if Correct Service became aware that the issue still hadn't been resolved they might well issue you with something in writing (for a fee) to show to Argos. The engineer I dealt with was Jerry Mann.

Correct Service Ltd.

242 Oakdale Road,

Carlton,

Nottingham.

NG4 1AD

Tel: 0115 956 3434

Email: office@correctservice.co.uk

GrahamW
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for this Tony, I have emailed them today to see if they can do anything. Will wait and see what they say.
0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well,

now point blank i do have the issue... it went from 9% free to 0% ( and I think it went negative since it said : need to free 3.48MB ... I removed 5mb and kept at 0 and saying the same thing. I've removed 40MB and still the same... had to remove the manual ).

It was purchased during July, so the 4 to 5 months timeframe usually mentioned, more or less.

Goody1
Pioneer
Options

It was like that with mine, until yesterday when the main board was replaced by an engineer from Martin Dawes

When the engineer left I checked the memory and it was around 5%. I installed an app which according to the info under the app was about 10 Mb. It did not reduce the available memory by 10Mb, it seemd to reduced it by 2Mb. This happened another 8 times leaving me with around 35Mb!

This morning I checked hthe memory size and it now sayss I have 7% left or 65Mb !

It doesnt make sense, but, at least I now have 9 Apps installed ! I reckon I could probably install another 20 Apps or more  to get the memory down to zero. It seems that the memory info is incorrect on my tv, but at least there seems to be more space available, but time will tell

The only this now is I have a message that comes up when I turn the tv on "Please go into service mode and set up below options. - Type,LocalSet, Front Color Option" with an OK buttonIMG_4083.jpg

I think the engineer needs to come back!

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

That's a behavior similar to mine, spacewise.

Mine from the beginning shown 11% free , I installed, it went down by the amount installed, and quickly after it went back to 11%.

Rinse and repeat for 9 or 10 apps.

Then after a while (weeks) the space by itself went down to 10% , 7% , 4% ... suddenly back to 10% and the day after 0%

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

Thanks , I'll keep a suspicious eye on it !

0 Likes
Badaboing
Explorer
Options

I finally got round to resetting the Smart Hub on my UE43NU7400. Some interesting results!

Bear in mind that I had already followed instructions for deleting the e-manual months ago, which freed up a considerable amount of space. That free space had been steadily shrinking though and at the time of resetting the Smart Hub, the TV was stating 66MB (8%) free.

I installed the new firmware first, which didn't make much of a difference storage-wise. After resetting the Smart Hub, the free space then jumped up to >150MB (18%).

During the Smart Hub reset, it suggested some additional apps to install which included britbox & BBC Sport (apps that couldn't previously be deleted). I left those suggestions unchecked and assumed those apps wouldn't then be installed. However, when opening the Apps menu I then found these applications listed as installed again.

My free space has since shrunk a bit after installing Plex and signing back in to some other apps, however I'm still at 146MB (17%) at the time of writing. The e-manual did not return after the Smart Hub reset and it's difficult to judge exactly how much of a part that's playing.

Fingers crossed this should put me in a comfortable position for the time being. I'll continue to monitor things and will report back if anything significantly changes.