Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
JamieKS
Explorer
Options
Currys actually told me on the phone they would only look into acting if I had a claim reference number from the court.

I spent a long time on the phone with them several weeks back but got nowhere. They refused to admit there is a hardware fault and insist its a software problem that is not covered under a return.

I will never buy anything from Currys/PC World again.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

And Currys make things up. They try to confuse and hope you will give up. As I have said, section 75 is the way to go.

0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

I can't use section 75 unfortunatly. I payed using Paypay (who are as useless as Currys) as their website was not accepting my card at the time. Also I bought the TV through my business which section 75 doesn't apply to so doublly screwed.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Thought paypal had a 120 day policy.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options
@JamieKS its neither a software or hardware fault, its a design "flaw", that for some people is being mis-sold as it can't function as a true SmartTV due to the limited space available. I won't be replacing mine as it doesn't affect me at all and i like the quality of the picture. This issue will affect people who have different use cases, which is why its very hard to get a refund or replacement from some of the more "stubborn" companies.
0 Likes
Hoot37
Apprentice
Options

Thank you all for posting in this thread, it's really helped me put a good case to Crampton and Moore. Unfortunately I've received the following email from the manager this morning:

"

I have read all the notes and emails between you, our customer service team and Samsung customer support, I understand that all the trouble shooting, software updates and smart hub resets have been carried out, deeming the TV not to be faulty it is purely not offering you the level of storage you are wanting.

Therefore we are not able to offer you a refund or exchange. I can appreciate this will not be the answer you are looking for, however Samsung have said that to maintain the available memory, the “Auto Update” for the smart hub can be turned off or you may connect a USB flash drive or hard disk drive to the TV to have more available memory. We are quite happy to send you a high capacity USB in order to facilitate with the storage/ memory issues.

I appreciate your comments that you think the TV is not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act 2015 and that you feel you have been mis-sold this product, Please click on the link below which will take you directly to our website which clearly shows the full product description and specifications. http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/samsung-ue65nu7400-65-dynamic-crystal-colour-ultra-hd-certified-hd...

There is no mention of storage levels on ours or Samsung’s website so I cannot see how you think you have been mis-sold the product and as mentioned the TV is working perfectly well and is not faulty in any way, therefore we will not be issuing a refund or exchange."

I really don't know how to proceed now. I paid by PayPal and have had the TV over 6 months but under a year. 

PFC_Hudson
Pioneer
Options
Take them to the Small Claims court
Four more weeks then out...
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Hoot37 wrote:

Thank you all for posting in this thread, it's really helped me put a good case to Crampton and Moore. Unfortunately I've received the following email from the manager this morning:

"

Therefore we are not able to offer you a refund or exchange. I can appreciate this will not be the answer you are looking for, however Samsung have said that to maintain the available memory, the “Auto Update” for the smart hub can be turned off or you may connect a USB flash drive or hard disk drive to the TV to have more available memory. We are quite happy to send you a high capacity USB in order to facilitate with the storage/ memory issues.

I really don't know how to proceed now. I paid by PayPal and have had the TV over 6 months but under a year. 

Sorry to hear of this but it doesn't surprise me. C&M refused to compensate another poster here and I would say that they and Currys are the absolute worst in resolving this issue.

From your quote above, turning off auto-update means the apps can't be updated as part of normal function, so that's not a solution. Attaching a USB drive doesn't solve anything because the core apps need *internal* storage to work and update. Samsung keep mentioning USB despite the method being debunked time and time again.

C&M are hiding behind Samsung's bull***** in order to avoid their obligations. As the other guy says, a small claims action should sort it. Retailers who have replaced and refunded TVs with this issue are John Lewis, Richer Sounds, AO, and Amazon. There may be others I'm not aware of.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Hoot37 wrote:

"

I have read all the notes and emails between you, our customer service team and Samsung customer support, I understand that all the trouble shooting, software updates and smart hub resets have been carried out, deeming the TV not to be faulty it is purely not offering you the level of storage you are wanting.

I appreciate your comments that you think the TV is not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act 2015 and that you feel you have been mis-sold this product, Please click on the link below which will take you directly to our website which clearly shows the full product description and specifications. http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/samsung-ue65nu7400-65-dynamic-crystal-colour-ultra-hd-certified-hd...

There is no mention of storage levels on ours or Samsung’s website so I cannot see how you think you have been mis-sold the product and as mentioned the TV is working perfectly well and is not faulty in any way, therefore we will not be issuing a refund or exchange."

Not surprised at the answer, and round one. 

Next contact PayPal as they have a six month protection I think and as long as you informed the retailer within that 6 months and can prove it you may get something there. 

As to there answer, it is clearly advertised as a smart TV, and therefore should work as such out of the box, without have to buy or add additional equipment. You should state in the description that you may need additional equipment for the tv to work as described, there by not supplying that information, it is misrepresentation, as per the 2015 consumer regs. 

They admit there is an issue by offering a memory stick, but as others have said that does not fix the issue. 

By admitting that you need the extra memory, and like I said by them not saying that on the idea advert is misrepresentation.

What us even worse, they admit the amount of memory was not advertised, which suggests to me a reasonable person would expect the tv to work without additional equipment. 

Also point out the different retailers who giving refunds. 

Like I said round one, and they are hoping you will except there email and go away. Seen it so many times, and keep at them, close down each argument they gave until they have no more. 

Hope it helps, 

Paul

0 Likes
Reverante
Apprentice
Options

Email them back stating samsung are even acknowleding there is a space issue as they're advising you need third party hardware to make use of an integral feature sich as smart functionality. They advertise in their description enjoying tv has never been so easy.

Definition of enjoying

Definition of easy

Missold doesnt just mean content they describe its also information they omit. Theyve labelled it as a smart tv and not advised of such a short storage capacity and to the fact may need additional usb for own content. If they had provided information on storage you could have made a more informed decision.

If this isnt resolved you will be issueing a claim through small courts.

0 Likes