Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
GilesH
Student
Options

I’m having a nightmare getting my UE43NU7400 repaired or refunded by Richer Sounds. I bought it last August and have the memory issue. I’ve been through everything with Samsung and it’s now been ‘escalated to head office but it will be a long time before it is resolved’. 

At at the same time Richer Sounds tell me ‘we are reliably informed by Samsung that this has been resolved’ and they say I’m not entitled to any form of refund or exchange. So I’m left with a smart TV that I can’t install apps on and at some point in the future, the built in apps like Netflix will stop working, and in the meantime I just won’t get new features. 

I’m actually really surprised by RS. I bought from them for the 6 year warranty but wish I had bought from Amazon, who are generally pretty good albeit only for the first year. RS have made it quite clear I won’t be getting any further help from them. 

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

If I was you I would get back in touch with RS and tell them to stop the BS! cause no way has Samsung fixed the problem. In the meantime you could rest the Apps Hub to free up some more space.

billyb_834652
Explorer
Options

Just a quick update for everyone. Amazon refunded me in full today (yes, even on a bank holiday). The whole process has been pretty painless and I am satisfied with the way Amazon has handled my return even though I'd had the TV for 6+ months. Judging by the experiences of others here those 5/6 year warranties from John Lewis & Richer Sounds are a joke!

GilesH
Student
Options
I wish I could get RS to listen! I’ve done all the resets multiples times - very fed up of having to re-log in to everything.

It’s definitely put me off buying Samsung again, and I won’t buy from RS again after the experience so far.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@GilesH wrote:
I wish I could get RS to listen! I’ve done all the resets multiples times - very fed up of having to re-log in to everything.

It’s definitely put me off buying Samsung again, and I won’t buy from RS again after the experience so far.

Sorry to hear of your problems with RS. I'm very surprised. Was this an online purchase or from a store? It seems that when you buy from a local store there's more chance of help as you're dealing with the actual people who sold you the TV and who you've probably met in person. 

I'm sure you'll get there in the end, it's just a question of plugging away, which I know through experience is incredibly depressing and tedious. The user here who got an RS refund posted the name of the salesman who helped and the branch he used. Perhaps he could repost that information and you could put your RS contact in touch with that branch?

Did you buy using a credit card? If you did you could launch a claim via the card provider and tell RS that you're doing this.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@billyb_834652 wrote:

Just a quick update for everyone. Amazon refunded me in full today (yes, even on a bank holiday). The whole process has been pretty painless and I am satisfied with the way Amazon has handled my return even though I'd had the TV for 6+ months. Judging by the experiences of others here those 5/6 year warranties from John Lewis & Richer Sounds are a joke!

Thanks for the update. Good to hear.

I finally got my replacement TV over the weekend. I went for an LG and so far there are no problems. I have 2.12GB of spare storage lol.

I'm the starter of this thread and I'm going to remain subscribed to it so that I can see any new post. It would be great if  people keep on posting, especially if they've had a successful resolution, so that we can see who the safest retailers are. I bought my LG from RS and I think they're one of the better ones, despite the unfortunate experience of the other poster tonight.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

If I was you I would get back in touch with RS and tell them to stop the BS! cause no way has Samsung fixed the problem. In the meantime you could rest the Apps Hub to free up some more space.

I would suggest asking rs what the so called fix Samsung have done, and how that has fixed the tv? Ask for it in writing, with the information Samsung have provided to show they have fixed this issue. Next start aa alternative dispute resolution with rs as they are members and it is free and they have to abide with the decision. Keep all correspondence and make copies. 

Rs lost an ADR ruling on the miss selling of the KS series and had to give all owners who asked a full refund. 

This their tactic to hope you will get fed up and go away. 

Also tell rs you are referring the to ADR. 

Paul

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I see you decided to get an LG in the end then Tony. My TV is still fine at the moment even with the last update installed. So far I have had no real problems running out of space but I have only had it for 7 weeks. I am also pretty sure that the update was bigger than the space I had left, and when it installed it never took away any of the app space I had left. So the update side of things must install somewhere else and has nothing to do with the app space. I still have 11% app space out of the 13% I had when I got the TV.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

I see you decided to get an LG in the end then Tony. My TV is still fine at the moment even with the last update installed. So far I have had no real problems running out of space but I have only had it for 7 weeks. I am also pretty sure that the update was bigger than the space I had left, and when it installed it never took away any of the app space I had left. So the update side of things must install somewhere else and has nothing to do with the app space. I still have 11% app space out of the 13% I had when I got the TV.

When I updated the firmware it took an additional 30MB from the little space I had left, so it's interesting that it didn't do that on yours.

Yes, I went for LG in the end despite flagging up a potential memory issue of its own. It came to a choice of the Samsung Q6 or 7, or the LG B8 OLED. I'd ruled out the B8 but then got an offer from my local RS for their ex demo unit, complete with full warranty. I thought I'd take a punt on that. I'm very pleased - all seems well and OLED is seriously good, even though this is only the entry level model.

I think in  future the Samsung Quantum Dot system may well trump OLED as soon as they introduce self-illuminating dots. No more edge lighting and all the benefits of OLED without the burn-in risk or potential for the organic pixels to wear out, and with more screen brightness available. The next few years will be an exciting time in TV tech!

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I would hardly have thought that the LG B8 OLED was entry level it’s a very good TV. I know there is the risk of burn in with any OLED but it would not put me off simply because I am not a Gamer and no matter what TV I have, I never ever will leave a still picture displaying on the screen. I would not even pause a Blu Ray whilst I make a cup of tea lol.

I am not sure how the firmware update interferes with the app space, unless it installs some more apps during the process. But the firmware update certainly does not have nothing to do with the amount of space you have left in the internal memory for the app space. Otherwise you would not be able to even install a firmware update. Even the last Update 1251 is 1.29 Gigabytes in size.

The Micro LED Samsung are working on looks well good, but like all new technology it comes at a price and one a lot more than I would be willing to pay for or could afford.  I brought NU7400 because I thought it was a decent TV for it’s price. I only intended to buy the 43 inch with the budget I had set aside for a new TV. But when I seen the price of the 50 inch come down to £459 I thought why not have that.

I am well pleased and happy with the TV and I never thought it would become a nightmare like I have seen with the experience the many have had in this forum. So far I am still happy with my purchase and the nightmare as not begun yet lol. But that is because none of the issues you guys have had has effected me yet and it may be still early days only having the TV for 7 weeks. But no doubt what little space Samsung have allocated for the app space is absolutely ridiculous, and I can see why it will present a real problem even for a guy like myself who only uses a few of the apps that are already installed with the TV.

In my own mind I am still hoping because I have no intention of installing any more apps, that I will not run into the same problem you guys are having. You may be hanging around this thread of yours a lot longer yet Tony lol. But one thing I have learned here for sure, and that is if I do run into the problem which I expect will not be that far away. Is to make sure I look  at the allocated app space in the shop of the new TV I will replace it with.